Another Batman Animated Movie?! (Batman vs Jack the Ripper)

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015

Anyway Seriously Batman vs Jack the Ripper in this late 19th century parody? I would say this is Jumping the Shark, but Comic Books have already Jumped the erupting Volcano!!!, 500 times over mind you :p.

I have already seen Batman vs Dracula in that The Batman Cartoon series from 2005.

But still I am beyond annoyed we are getting yet another Batman movie from WB animation, and this perticular movie shows they have completely ran out of ideas of what to do with Batman and are incapable of writing or thinking of any story to tell with thier other Superheroes.

Necrozius

Jun 21, 2016
This one is based on a "what if" called Gotham by Gaslight which was published over 20 years ago. So they jumped that shark a while ago, if the concept bothers you so much.

It was alright: I enjoyed it because it was illustrated by Mike Mignola (of Hellboy fame).

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Necrozius said:
This one is based on a "what if" called Gotham by Gaslight which was published over 20 years ago. So they jumped that shark a while ago, if the concept bothers you so much.

It was alright: I enjoyed it because it was illustrated by Mike Mignola (of Hellboy fame).
I thought this is based on Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne where Batman survived the Final Crisis, and he flung back in time so he's immortal, and you see him become a Cave Man, then a Witch Hunter, then a Pirate, then a Cowboy, then a Sherlock Holmes-esque detective (which I thought this movie was based on), to Batman as we know him now.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Maybe watching this may enlighten you (behind the scene).

While I have heard of it but I have yet read the graphic novel. Still, I'm looking forward to this one unlike Batman and Harley Quinn.

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
Samtemdo8 said:
Necrozius said:

I thought this is based on Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne where Batman survived the Final Crisis, and he flung back in time so he's immortal, and you see him become a Cave Man, then a Witch Hunter, then a Pirate, then a Cowboy, then a Sherlock Holmes-esque detective (which I thought this movie was based on), to Batman as we know him now.
So you made a thread to complain about something and you don't even know what it is?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gotham_by_Gaslight

I know you're "tired of batman" but can you at least look into something before coming here to whine about it? Don't know what you have against comics- sure there have been a lot of silly stories and others that haven't worked but that goes for any form of media.

Apr 17, 2009
bjj hero said:
If its Jack the ripper then why are they all yanks?
Well in the novel the film is loosely based on, Jack the Ripper escaped the heat in London by moving to Gotham. But he couldn't keep his urges down very long and soon started killing again and draws the attention of Batman

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
JUMBO PALACE said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Necrozius said:

So you made a thread to complain about something and you don't even know what it is?

I know you're "tired of batman" but can you at least look into something before coming here to whine about it? Don't know what you have against comics- sure there have been a lot of silly stories and others that haven't worked but that goes for any form of media.
I read comics, I am excited for the upcoming Doomsday Clock event in DC Comics coming November. I am just tired of Batman oversaturation.

And again I thought this was an adaption of one issue of Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne at face value, than I looked deeper before you posted and found out what it actually was. And adaption or not, did this need to be adapted since again we are still suffering from Batman oversaturation in the Animation side of DC?

I haven't seen a single Aquaman animated solo movie at all for one. And I wish for a proper Animated Green Latern movie that isn't that CGI animated series. And Superman has not had an animted movie in a while, especially a solo one that has no Batman in it.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Because Batman is the only DC property that makes bank? Like it or not, he's popular and every attempt to branch out has been met with, at best, 'Meh...'

Look at Superman. Barely anyone likes it. Batman Vs. Superman, everyone likes Batman and nothing else. Suicide Squad, same.
Wonder Woman was a surprise hit for them, granted, but it also had Batman, and mostly skated by on the whole 'She's a woman!' trope rather than any quality film work.

The up coming Justice League movie looks to be a flop, and predicting it'll be Batman that people like.

Since the Animated Series in the 90s, people have liked Batman. He is the heart and soul of DC and he won't be going away any time soon.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
JUMBO PALACE said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Necrozius said:

I read comics, I am excited for the upcoming Doomsday Clock event in DC Comics coming November. I am just tired of Batman oversaturation.

And again I thought this was an adaption of one issue of Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne at face value, than I looked deeper before you posted and found out what it actually was. And adaption or not, did this need to be adapted since again we are still suffering from Batman oversaturation in the Animation side of DC?

I haven't seen a single Aquaman animated solo movie at all for one. And I wish for a proper Animated Green Latern movie that isn't that CGI animated series. And Superman has not had an animted movie in a while, especially a solo one that has no Batman in it.
Oversaturation? Yes, but I'm not bugged. Also a proper Green Lantern animated film? What about those 2 they did?

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Silentpony said:
Because Batman is the only DC property that makes bank? Like it or not, he's popular and every attempt to branch out has been met with, at best, 'Meh...'

Look at Superman. Barely anyone likes it. Batman Vs. Superman, everyone likes Batman and nothing else. Suicide Squad, same.
Wonder Woman was a surprise hit for them, granted, but it also had Batman, and mostly skated by on the whole 'She's a woman!' trope rather than any quality film work.

The up coming Justice League movie looks to be a flop, and predicting it'll be Batman that people like.

Since the Animated Series in the 90s, people have liked Batman. He is the heart and soul of DC and he won't be going away any time soon.
I hated Batman in the DCEU. Not the actor though. Ben Affleck's fine, but his character is so poorly written.

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Samtemdo8 said:
But still I am beyond annoyed we are getting yet another Batman movie from WB animation
It's because Batman sells.

bjj hero said:
Because America sells.

Edit: Is it just me or does that trailer just plain suck? The pacing is nonsensical and the audio balance is all over (part of why I'm asking is because sometimes Youtube fucks up the audio on me, so the audio balance could just be me and important voiceovers that make more sense of the pacing could be dropped). The actual animation is simultaneously wooden and choppy, while also being too light and unsubstantial, no "meat" to it. What the hell? I expected at least "acceptable" out of something with Bruce Timm's name attached.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
SupahEwok said:
Edit: Is it just me or does that trailer just plain suck? The pacing is nonsensical and the audio balance is all over (part of why I'm asking is because sometimes Youtube fucks up the audio on me, so the audio balance could just be me and important voiceovers that make more sense of the pacing could be dropped). The actual animation is simultaneously wooden and choppy, while also being too light and unsubstantial, no "meat" to it. What the hell? I expected at least "acceptable" out of something with Bruce Timm's name attached.
Not just you, its the video.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
SupahEwok said:
Samtemdo8 said:
But still I am beyond annoyed we are getting yet another Batman movie from WB animation
It's because Batman sells.

bjj hero said:
Because America sells.

Yep, Batman at this point is more overrated than Jesus :p

I am sorry for this irrational hate boner I have for Batman at this point. To me it started when Moviebob pointed it out that Man of Steel 2 wasn't made to fix the problem of Man of Steel 1, no they just sent Batman as damage control to rake in the audiance.

And that Batman is oversaturated, especially when all the quality DC games are nothing but Batman games with the exception of Injustice, and that game turns Superman into a villain :[ (Even though at first it was kinda justifyed as to why he became one)

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Pallindromemordnillap said:
bjj hero said:
Well in the novel the film is loosely based on, Jack the Ripper escaped the heat in London by moving to Gotham. But he couldn't keep his urges down very long and soon started killing again and draws the attention of Batman
Spoil this for me, Is Jack the Ripper the Joker?

SupahEwok

Malapropic Homophone
Legacy
Jun 24, 2010
Country
Texas
Samtemdo8 said:
Pallindromemordnillap said:
bjj hero said:
Spoil this for me, Is Jack the Ripper the Joker?
No. But if you read the comic (or its plot summary like me) and have a basic understanding of storytelling, the identity isn't much of a twist.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
Silentpony said:
Or they make something good which is cancelled after one or two seasons. There's also the issue that since DC tends to tell quite personal stories they struggle to build the kinds of expansive worlds that Marvel is comfortable with.

Cicada 5

Elite Member
Apr 16, 2015
Country
Nigeria
Silentpony said:

Wonder Woman was also liked BvS. Batman was barely even in the Wonder Woman movie and I do love how dudebros insist that it starring a woman was the only reason people liked it. Yeah, we all saw how starring a woman helped the Supergirl, Catwoman and Elektra movies.

DC had Static Shock in the early 2000s which was popular enough to beat Pokemon in ratings. Batman is not the only DC property that makes bank.