Another Gaming Poll for my studies, please participate!

rebelscum

Jun 8, 2009
1. 21

2. male

3. England

4c.

5c

6g - survival horror

7b

8. probably not

9. definitely not

10. definitely

11. I don't know / no preference

12. probably not

Bonus question:
13. No One Lives Forever 2

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
Traun said:
Darknacht said:
alphamalet said:
Pretty scary when this many people consider the story, something that doesn't even define a game, as the most important part for them. You can have a game with no story. You can't have a game with no gameplay. Which do you think is more important? Sheesh!
You can have a movie without a story too but most people like movies with stories.
I demand examples.
Some of David Lynch's short films, also some of the stuff that Andy Warhol did, and there are plenty of minor experimental and avant-garde films that have no story, they are simply a visual or audio/visual experiences.

jc230

Sep 11, 2012
1:19
2:A
3:Canada
4:A
5:C
6:C
7:B
8:probably not
9:Definitely not
10:Definitely
11:I don't know
12:probably
13:Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic

Whoatemysupper

Aug 20, 2010
1 15
2 a
3 Canada
4 PC
5 c
6 d
7 a
8 I don't know (I don't think it affects my decision. When I find I'll like something I get it.)
9 Probably
10 Definitely
11 Probably not
12 Probably
13 So many are tied at first:
FO:NV
Rome TW
AoEII
Skyrim
among others...

BoBEllingson

Apr 23, 2011
1:32
2:a
3:USA
4:a
5:c
6:d - Grand Strategy
7:b
8:definitely not
9:definitely not
10:definitely
11:definitely not - please keep your cutscenes out of my games
12:probably - in some areas
13:Victoria II w/ AHD expansion and APD mod

alphamalet

Nov 29, 2011
Darknacht said:
1 29

alphamalet said:
Pretty scary when this many people consider the story, something that doesn't even define a game, as the most important part for them. You can have a game with no story. You can't have a game with no gameplay. Which do you think is more important? Sheesh!
You can have a movie without a story too but most people like movies with stories.
You're still missing the point. Yes, story can compliment gameplay in the same way the story can compliment a film, but that does NOT make story the most important part of either of these.

What differentiates a game from other mediums of entertainment is its gameplay. You can't play a movie, a book, or a painting. If you took gameplay away, then you wouldn't have a game, and the entire medium of entertainment disappears. I don't care how compelling or how well a story compliments the gameplay of a game, if you say that story is more important than the aspect that makes a game a game, then you're wrong.

Like I said earlier, your example misses the point. Yes, a story can compliment the visuals of a film, but it is the unique way a film displays its visuals that makes a film a film. If you remove a plot from a film, you still have a series of captured frames being played in quick succession to convey to the viewer some sort of imagery that occurred in a specific place and time. An example might be some of the home movies taken by the people who witnessed some of the events in World War II. There is no story to these, but what they convey is powerful and the way they convey it can't be done by a still image or by a sound byte. Now what if you took away the film's unique way of conveying information? What if films were no longer a series of captured images played in rapid succession to give the appearance of motion? You don't have a movie anymore, you have either a still frame, or a sound byte. So is story still the most important aspect of either of these artistic mediums?

I'm all for story in games. I think a story can be powerful, and emotional, and help motivate a player to keep playing. I don't want you think that I am advocating that there be no stories in video games. What I am advocating is to put this specific aspect of video games into perspective.

As someone who is currently studying video game design at a university, it has always confounded me how avid players of video games seem to understand so little as to what makes a game tick. Worship what makes a game a game and sets it apart from all of the other mediums of entertainment you could be experiencing instead! Don't worship one of the pieces that does nothing to define the medium of entertainment you enjoy so much!

alphamalet

Nov 29, 2011
1) 21
2) A - Male
3) USA
4) F - PS2
5) C - 2-4
6) C
7) B
8) No
9) No, never
10) Yes (but graphics aren't all that important to begin with)
11) Depends on how well the cutscenes implemented int gameplay are executed.
12) Yes
13) Shadow of the Colossus

Mistermixmaster

Aug 4, 2009
1. 21
2.a
3. Norway
4.a
5. c (depends if I work or not that day, I'll say C as it is about the average through the week)
6.g
7.a/e (I feel like these two fall into each other, you can't have one without the other)
8. Probably
9. Probably not.
10. Probably.
11. I don't know. (It works for some games, for others, not so much.)
12. Definitely
13. VALKYRIA CHRONICLES
/fanboy

TaintedSaint

Mar 16, 2011
1. How old are you?

2. You are...?
male
3. USA

4. Which gaming platform do you mainly use? (state only one)
a PC

5. Approximately how many hours a day do you play videogames? (state only one)
d more than 4 hours

6. What is your prefered genre (state only one)
a First Person Shooter

7. Which aspect of a game is most important to you? (state only one)
a A captivating story

8. I am more likely to buy newly released games over games which are older than a year.
probably not

9. The quality of graphics in videogames has an influence on my purchase decisions.
probably not

10. A captivating story/well-written characters/compelling gameplay can compensate for outdated graphics and physics
definitely

11. I prefer fully-rendered cutscenes over cutscenes which are implemented into the gameplay (e.g. Half-Life 2).

12. I am following the technical developements within the gaming industry with great interest.
definitely

Bonus question:
13. Name your favorite videogame if you have one (state only one).
Plainscape Torment

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
1. 18.

2. A.

3. The United States of America.

4. A.

5. X (varied).

6. E.

7. B.

8. Definitely not.

9. Definitely not.

10. Definitely!

11. Your example seems to contradict your statement, so I can't tell what you want.

12. Definitely!

Bonus question: Banjo-Kazooie, Doom, Sonic 3 & Knuckles, Half-Life, and The Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask.
(Don't ask for just one.)

Rainbowloid

Jan 12, 2010
1. 21
2. b
3. USA
4. e
5. b
6. c
7. e
8. Probably not
9. Probably not (Aesthetics, on the other hand, play a very large part. If you consider that to fall under graphics, change this answer to definitely)
10. Definitely
11. Probably
12. Probably not
13. The World Ends With You

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
1)29.

2)Female.

3)USA.

4)PC.

5)More than 4 hours.

6)Adventure & RPGs.

7a)Captivating story (I bore very easily).
7b)Colors: (I grew up in a barren desert. Grays & browns are a big turn-off).

8)Definitely not. (Wait a year for GOTYE with bugfixes & expansions).

9)Definitely not. (Colors & aesthetics are more important to me than graphics. I actually find super-realism in games creepy/Uncanny Valley & enjoy retro games).

10)Definitely.

11)I don't know. (Cutscenes implemented into gameplay tend to crash or force replay on death. Real cutscenes are CPU hogs).

12)Definitely not.

13)Aveyond 3 (episodic 2D indie RPG).

Spitfire

Dec 27, 2008
1. 21

2. A

3. Romania

4. A

5. I don't actually play every day, but on the days that I do, it's usually between 2 to 4 hours, so I guess I'll go for C.

6. C

7. A

8. Probably not.

9. Probably not.

10. Definitely.

11. I don't know.

12. Probably.

13. The Longest Journey.

killemore

Nov 2, 2012
1. How old are you? 29

2. You are...?
male

3. Your country?
USA

PC

2 - 4 hours

6. What is your prefered genre (state only one)
c Adventure and Role-Playing Games

unique/compelling gameplay

Please state your answers to the following statements as follows (state only one):
definitely
probably
probably not
definitely not
I don't know

8. I am more likely to buy newly released games over games which are older than a year.
probably not

9. The quality of graphics in videogames has an influence on my purchase decisions.
probably

10. A captivating story/well-written characters/compelling gameplay can compensate for outdated graphics and physics
definitely

11. I prefer fully-rendered cutscenes over cutscenes which are implemented into the gameplay (e.g. Half-Life 2).
probably

12. I am following the technical developements within the gaming industrie with great interest.
probably not

Bonus question:

That's it. Please state your answers like this:
4a
5c
... and
8 definitely
9 probably not
respectively, except if instructed otherwise (age, country)

Thank you!

Darknacht

May 13, 2009
alphamalet said:
Darknacht said:
1 29

alphamalet said:
You're still missing the point. Yes, story can compliment gameplay in the same way the story can compliment a film, but that does NOT make story the most important part of either of these.

What differentiates a game from other mediums of entertainment is its gameplay. You can't play a movie, a book, or a painting. If you took gameplay away, then you wouldn't have a game, and the entire medium of entertainment disappears. I don't care how compelling or how well a story compliments the gameplay of a game, if you say that story is more important than the aspect that makes a game a game, then you're wrong.

Like I said earlier, your example misses the point. Yes, a story can compliment the visuals of a film, but it is the unique way a film displays its visuals that makes a film a film. If you remove a plot from a film, you still have a series of captured frames being played in quick succession to convey to the viewer some sort of imagery that occurred in a specific place and time. An example might be some of the home movies taken by the people who witnessed some of the events in World War II. There is no story to these, but what they convey is powerful and the way they convey it can't be done by a still image or by a sound byte. Now what if you took away the film's unique way of conveying information? What if films were no longer a series of captured images played in rapid succession to give the appearance of motion? You don't have a movie anymore, you have either a still frame, or a sound byte. So is story still the most important aspect of either of these artistic mediums?

I'm all for story in games. I think a story can be powerful, and emotional, and help motivate a player to keep playing. I don't want you think that I am advocating that there be no stories in video games. What I am advocating is to put this specific aspect of video games into perspective.

As someone who is currently studying video game design at a university, it has always confounded me how avid players of video games seem to understand so little as to what makes a game tick. Worship what makes a game a game and sets it apart from all of the other mediums of entertainment you could be experiencing instead! Don't worship one of the pieces that does nothing to define the medium of entertainment you enjoy so much!
Actually you're the one that does not get it everyone understands that gameplay is necessary for it to be a game and very few people will want to play a game with terrible gameplay, but lots of people would rather play a game with mediocre gameplay and a good story, than a game with good gameplay and a mediocre story. The same is true for film, while story is not necessary how many people would pay $12+ to go see a 2 hour movie with no story or sit though the hundreds of hours of show/commercials that some TV shows run if their was no story.

Arcline

Dec 12, 2010
1) 18
2) a
3) U.S.A.
4) a
5) a (actually 0), but it changes during the year, breaks and what not
6) c
7) I guess b but really makes it for me, however if I wanted a good story I'd go read a book and (I think e goes along with a)
8) definitely not
9) definitely not
10) definitely
11) I don't know. That's a tough one for me. In certain games some cutscenes totally break the flow for me, in others they are a welcomed break/reward. But who doesn't love the story unfolding through gameplay?
12) definitely not, I don't have the time. I even don't have time for this, procrastinating
13) Mass Effect

an874

Jul 17, 2009
1. 23
2. A - male
3. United States of America
4. C - XBox 360
5. C - 2-4 hours
6. E - Action & Platformers
7. A - A captivatiing story
8. I don't know
9. probably not
10. definitely
11. probably not
12. probably
13. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
1. How old are you? (Please state your age as a number)

2. You are...?
a male
b female

male

3. Your country?

Australia

a PC
b PlayStation 3
c XBox 360
d Nintendo Wii
e Handhelds (e.g. Nintendo DS, PSP, PS Vita)
f other (please state)

handhelds

a less than 1 hour
b 1 - 2 hours
c 2 - 4 hours
d more than 4 hours

1-2

6. What is your preferred genre (state only one)
a First Person Shooter
b Sports and Racing
c Adventure and Role-Playing Games
d Strategy
e Action and Platformers
f Puzzle and Casual
g other (please state)

Turn based strategy

a A captivating story
b unique/compelling gameplay
c A realistic physics engine
d good graphics
e interesting characters

story

I don't know

definitely not

definitely

definitely not

12. I am following the technical developments within the gaming industry with great interest.

definitely

Bonus question:

Bastion