Another new question to the girls here...

JanatUrlich

Apr 24, 2009
I don't really like guys that get all emotional, but maybe that's coz I'm a one night stand kinda girl.

I would want a guy who was just completely laid back and chilled. Emotional or non-emotional, I don't care just as long as I don't have to tip toe around on egg shells when I'm with them.

FieryTrainwreck

Apr 16, 2010
Posts like this are, in their own way, incredibly sexist. Women aren't an equation. Their girl parts don't preclude them from membership in the "people" club, and women vary emotionally/intellectually in all the same ways as men do.

While the particulars of your manliness and sensitivity might be unique, the ratio between the two is not - and there exist at least a handful of women who will be drawn to whatever that ratio might be.

Maybe they will mirror your disposition, or maybe they will just be attracted to it. Either way, there's little sense in trying to be anything other than exactly yourself. So long as you continually put yourself out there and keep an open mind, the world will provide a girl who fits you - just as you fit her.

TLDR version: try not to think in the outdated model of "what do women want?". Basic hygiene and employment are the only things you absolutely must bring to the table. Everything else is taste.

Edit: the only addendum I might, um, add is that excessive negativity doesn't really work, but that's more of an overriding truth of life than a specific grain of romantic advice.

Edit-edit: on a personal note, the emo hornball approach works for me. The girls who are, for whatever inexplicable reason, interested in me appreciate my artistic leanings and emotional range... while thoroughly enjoying the fact that I'm constantly trying to get into their pants. It's a contrast, which gives me dimension, and it's variety, which keeps things interesting. Does it narrow my options to girls who can handle my open personality and don't mind getting humped most nights? Absolutely. Do I care? Heh.

jamesworkshop

Sep 3, 2008
Irridium said:
Men who laugh are considered weak?
I suppose every man in existence is weak then. Because everyone laughs.

Some girls like macho guys, some like emotional guys, some like batshit crazy guys. Different women like different types of guys. Just like different guys like different types of women.

There is no solid answer for this. At all.
I second this wouldn't that make it kind of odd that men are generally considered to make much better commedians especially stand up ones than women

Rolling Thunder

Dec 23, 2007
Meh. There is no right answer. Just be yourselves, and that will usually meet with success. Long-term success. Pretending to be what you are not will damn you to failure.

GiantSpiderGoat

Nov 19, 2009
Wait what about the nice guy who can show emotions. That generally was thought to be weak, until they find out he can go quiet psycho?

It also helps if grow up, fighting with your brother until you both bleed. But that does not mean to say I'm some meat head all about fighting. I've broken up more fights then started on participated in. Other than that, I'm not all emotional weepy, but I don't think I'm just some 2 by 4. I did use to be weepy, until something ticked over in my brain where I learnt how to take shit and dish it back out.

Anyway apart from that rant. Most of the girls friends I've gotten are because of my sense of humour (although quiet dark at times) and I am generally a nice guy.

BlazeTheVampire

May 14, 2008
cerealnmuffin said:
This isn't addressed to anyone in particular, just something I have been noticing with guys.

Girls do like guys who show emotions and are sensitive, but please do not confuse showing emotions and being sensitive with being needy and clingy. Guys who shout that 'nice guys finish last' and that girls only want jerks, usually do not know that they are coming off as clingy and reeking of desperation, calling/IM'ing a girl nonstop (creepy). A guy who can make friends with girls makes the guy more appealing.

I like guys that are sweet, sensitive, and caring, but also have confidence in themselves. Confidence doesnt mean they are muscle heads, just comfortable with themselves. I prefer gamers anyway. Having a passion makes someone appealing whether that be music, art, kung fu, whatever.
This, I think, is the best answer so far. Emotionally sensitive gets confused with needy/clingy. If you're having issues where they call you emotional and too sensitive, take a step back and examine your own actions instead of blaming her for upsetting you.

And spelling. Spelling properly is always impressive.

Halceon

Jan 31, 2009
Not G. Ivingname said:
It is a constantly repeated lesson among men that men with emotions, men that laugh, men that love, men that can appericaite the art, men that cry, are all some how "weak." If your a guy that has emotions, it is seamed agreed that your gay and will never "score" a girl (which I never understood why getting women is some kind of contest). Do you girls really think that a guy with emotions outside of "GRRRR... I HAVE BALLS OF STELL!" or "You want to do the bow chicka wow wow" is a lesser man? I would hope that it is not true, but is it?
I pity your socium, it has all the worst collective superstitions.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
DMonkey said:
Verlander said:
Balance it, and be realistic. Women don't want to date a wuss, but don't want to date a brick either. Be honest with your interests and mannerisms, and be fine to be one of the lads. I assume that as you are asking this question, you are quite young- don't worry about it too much. Be happy and confident in yourself, and before you know it, you'll be rolling in the poontang. My fiancée is reading this as I type, and she agrees
Listen to this guy. He is right. It really does work!
Cheers :) but yeah man, just do the above.

Not G. Ivingname

Nov 18, 2009
Halceon said:
Not G. Ivingname said:
It is a constantly repeated lesson among men that men with emotions, men that laugh, men that love, men that can appericaite the art, men that cry, are all some how "weak." If your a guy that has emotions, it is seamed agreed that your gay and will never "score" a girl (which I never understood why getting women is some kind of contest). Do you girls really think that a guy with emotions outside of "GRRRR... I HAVE BALLS OF STELL!" or "You want to do the bow chicka wow wow" is a lesser man? I would hope that it is not true, but is it?
I pity your socium, it has all the worst collective superstitions.
I am starting to see that...

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
Aylaine said:
Miumaru said:
Most women want the sensitive man in the end, but want them to still be men. Being masculine does not mean being a meat head.
Indeed, but it seems to be a huge extreme. Finding a guy in the 50/50 zone or 40/60 is hard. Their either too masculine, or too soft. Both of which come with a slew of personality traits from neediness to arrogance. It goes the same way with women. A balanced person is arguably best.
I am only saying what women tend to want. I am quite aware the difference between what one wants and what one can actually get. And some may want a man more to one side than others. I personally would lean more towards softer men for long term relationships, even though a more masculine man would interest me in short term types.

Lolth17

Queen of the Underdark
Nov 10, 2009
Never met a guy with no emotions. If I do, I will let you know if I like or dislike him.

arsenicCatnip

Jan 2, 2010
Simply from my point of view (and I've dated bricks, sensitives, and middles)... men who fall into a healthy emotional spectrum are rare and hard to find. I'm currently dating a man who is comfortable enough with himself to admit that he has (and does) cry when he's sad or hurt. But he's not a clingy emotional wreck, and he's definitely not some meathead emotionless wall. He's a normal guy, and I love it.