Ant-Man Death Watch: Rawson Thurber Reportedly Passes On Director Job

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Ant-Man Death Watch: Rawson Thurber Reportedly Passes On Director Job

Words like "boondoggle", "disaster", "complete mess" and "box office poison" come to mind.

The meandering and increasingly convoluted saga that is the still-officially in production Ant-Man has worsened today, as it's being reported that yet another director has declined to take over for departing director Edgar Wright, who surprised everyone by quitting the production on May 23. According to This Is Infamous, Rawson Thurber, director of DodgeBall: A True Underdog Story, Easy A and We're The Millers has turned down an offer from Marvel/Disney to take over the troubled film. For those of you keeping score, this marks the second high profile refusal, after Adam McKay's over the weekend.

When Wright quit, McKay, Thurber and Ruben Fleischer were all rumored to be front runners for the job. Word is Fleischer doesn't want the job either. That is... a very bad sign. Perhaps it's just respect for Edgar Wright motivating these three not to take the gig, but it's far likelier that the terms of the deal Disney is offering are simply unpalatable to people who consider themselves, you know, professional filmmakers.

The reasons for Wright's decision to leave the production [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/134763-Edgar-Wright-No-Longer-Directing-Marvels-Ant-Man] he'd been associated with since at least 2007 have not been made public. But a series of supportive tweets from the likes of Simon Pegg and Joss Whedon suggest strongly that it came down to serious artistic differences with, and heavy meddling by Disney, rather than a rumored inability to complete the film on time. Supposedly, Disney kiboshed the script Wright wrote with Attack the Block director Joe Cornish, brought in a hired gun for a rewrite, and tried to force that rewrite on Wright. If this is true, it says a lot about what anyone else brought on to the job can expect. No wonder Disney/Marvel can't seem to find someone to take this movie home.

Not that the company isn't pretending otherwise. Disney/Marvel continues to stick to a hard and fast 2015 release date, just a few months after Avengers 2, but that looks increasingly unlikely. And frankly, even if they do manage to find some hack willing to take the paycheck without any artistic input of their own, every day that goes by without principle filming under way is a day less there is to make this thing actually good. The closer we get to that release date, the more rushed this thing is going to have to be in order to meet it. Frankly, Ant-Man is beginning to look like a disaster in the making. At this point I agree with Devin Faraci on this one: let this installment of the Marvel Cinematic Universe die [http://badassdigest.com/2014/06/03/report-rawson-thurber-squashes-ant-man-involvement/] and replace it with something that doesn't have the stink of studio bullshit all over it.

Then again, maybe Disney/Marvel should do what they damn well should have done all along, and let Edgar Wright make the movie they hired him to make.

Source: This Is Infamous [http://thisisinfamous.com/exclusive-rawson-thurber-passes-marvels-ant-man-offer/]

ungothicdove

Nov 30, 2007
Disney conceding defeat and letting Edgar Wright make the movie all (most of us, probably) want, would be a sweet, sweet victory.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
*sigh*

And you were doing so well, Disney. The movies leading up to The Avengers were decent at their worst and completely unashamed of their source material. Whedon was an inspired choice for directing The Avengers itself, and Winter Soldier seemed to be a sign that you weren't willing to rest on your laurels.

And now this. You can do better.

Osaka117

Feb 20, 2011
As if Wright leaving the movie wasn't bad enough, now this...this...shenanigans going on afterward is just the worst. I was looking forward to Antman even more than I was Avengers 2, but now I'm dreading it. If only Antman came out when it was supposed to instead of Iron Man 2...and I'm not even on the IM2 hate train that everyone else in the world is on, I actually really like it, I just wish it was Antman instead.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Oh dear. Well, the honeymoon has to end sometime, and it's looking like this is going to be the film that does it. I'm not excited about Ant-Man at all, but I know this has to sting to fans who are excited.

Assuming this is the truth, I'm forced to wonder why Disney has decided to stick its nose so far into this production. Was it always doing this, or are is the top brass starting to get too many dollar signs in their eyes and thus can't resist anymore?

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
I just need to say, this is the wrong Ant-Man. The Marvel Film Universe needs more Pym, not just a cameo.

HardRockSamurai

May 28, 2008
WOW!!! In just a few short days, my enthusiasm for this project has rapidly transformed into dread...miserable miserable dread. That's a first for me.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
Sniper Team 4 said:
Assuming this is the truth, I'm forced to wonder why Disney has decided to stick its nose so far into this production. Was it always doing this, or are is the top brass starting to get too many dollar signs in their eyes and thus can't resist anymore?
It probably had to do with the fact that something in the script just didn't work well in the MCU, and where it was heading (at this point, most likely something big in Avengers 2 not being acknowledged, or something big in Avengers 3 being derailed).

Personally, I say given Chris Evans a chance. What harm could it do to ask? And hell, if he says yes, he might just sign on to a few more movies on condition of a directing role, and who wouldn't want that?

Anyway as much as I'd like to have seen Wright make this movie, and especially have Peg be a part of it, and above all have had it come out in 2010 instead of Iron Man 2, this isn't his movie. It's a single movie in Kevin Feige's universe. He's been the producer of every movie and one-shot in the MCU, and did some work on AoS. As much as I love Wright's work, Feige's vision is above all, even Whedon.

ZeroAE

Jun 7, 2010
Wait, the Wasp is the guy with wings on the right of the OP image?
I thought the Wasp was that woman who is Ant-man's sidekick.
(Sorry, I don't read comics.)

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Well, it certainly seems that my interest in the Ant-man movie...

... is shrinking.

Seriously, though, I really don't think the Marvel movies have too much to worry about these days. Even if the original script was terrible, it still probably would've been a hit just on reputation.

MasterBetty

May 21, 2009
Bitter much, Ross?

Listen, I like Edger Wright too. But Marvel is trying to maintain a central universe over the course of movies and now 2 tv shows.

Moviebob explained it pretty well here. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/moviesandtv/columns/moviebob/11536-Wrights-Wrongs-Caught-in-the-Middle-of-Marvels-Ant-Man-Backlash

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
ZeroAE said:
Several people have taken on "The Wasp" persona, including Hank Pym; the guy who originally had The Wasp AS his sidekick.

And there's been several Ant-Men too.

I don't really think Ant-Man needs a movie. How about Black Panther, or Black Widow, or Captain Marvel, or She-Hulk, or... Did I say Captain Marvel? How about I just go with Captain Marvel again.

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Sniper Team 4 said:
Oh dear. Well, the honeymoon has to end sometime, and it's looking like this is going to be the film that does it.
Personally I think Guardians of the Galaxy is going to be the movie that shows the first crack in Marvel's armor, so to speak. I know it'll probably do fine, I've just had a weird feeling about it ever since it was announced.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
The reporting on this is giving me whiplash. One minute it's characterised as okay, then it's a "death watch."

Sniper Team 4 said:
Oh dear. Well, the honeymoon has to end sometime, and it's looking like this is going to be the film that does it. I'm not excited about Ant-Man at all, but I know this has to sting to fans who are excited.
What honeymoon are we talking about? People have been predicting the demise of the MCU since its inception, and have been disappointed since Iron Man 2. I'm trying to think of what else "honeymoon" would refer to, but I think that ship sailed a while back.

Zontar said:
It probably had to do with the fact that something in the script just didn't work well in the MCU, and where it was heading (at this point, most likely something big in Avengers 2 not being acknowledged, or something big in Avengers 3 being derailed).
I imagine this makes for an interesting balancing act. We've seen Marvel movies with different tones and themes all lead to the same place, and it's (mostly) worked out thus far. I sort of wonder if this is something that's happened before, and it's only noticed now because it's becoming a problem.

But I don't follow movies that closely most of the time, so maybe it's not like that at all.

ZeroAE said:
There have been multiple Wasps. The best known one is Hank Pym (best known Ant-Mam)'s wife.

Chaos James

Bastion of Debauchery
May 27, 2011
I don't see much of a need for such a harsh spin on Marvel/Disney for this, and from all the reading my best guess is that something had to change due to later MCU movies being changed, probably one of the Avenger films. Considering Ant-man's involvement in the Avengers and the timing of the film I'd make that my best guess.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
ShirowShirow said:
I don't really think Ant-Man needs a movie. How about Black Panther, or Black Widow, or Captain Marvel, or She-Hulk, or... Did I say Captain Marvel? How about I just go with Captain Marvel again.
I'd certainly pick any of them before Ant-Man. And honestly, I wouldn't mind if they rewrote the MCU so Ant-Man wasn't necessary.

TheMemoman

Mar 11, 2013
This seems like directors bonding together. This is good. Disney seems to be in need of a shot of humility and respect for the creators, since it's the freedom they've allowed them what made Marvel movies so successful. They need to rethink this recent tuggish behavior and go back to trusting the director's and writers to make a cohesive whole out of all the pieces, instead of jamming and hammering the pieces into a whole. It doesn't work via brute force.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
ShirowShirow said:
I'd certainly pick any of them before Ant-Man. And honestly, I wouldn't mind if they rewrote the MCU so Ant-Man wasn't necessary.
I agree with this perspective, though my reasoning probably has to do with the fact that Ant-Man, for someone who isn't familiar with superhero comics (like myself), just sounds like an awful, B-level character who's there more for laughs and camp than for anything really interesting or serious. Even if that's not the case.

Thus far, what I've liked about the MCU is that it's balanced a popcorn action-flick atmosphere for people who aren't that familiar with the history behind each character, while (presumably) not being ashamed of the source material. I just can't see a character with a name like "Ant-Man" being popular with the mass-market audience that Disney's targeted with all the other films. It simply doesn't sound appealing.

I know that probably sounds terrible to people who actually know something abut the character, but I'm writing this as someone who's basing their gut-level reaction to a character they're not familiar with. At all.

Then again, I thought the same thing about Captain America, so perhaps I'll be wrong about this movie, too.