Anthropomorphic Action-RPG Solatorobo Coming to U.S.

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter is on its way to North America for those that appreciate RPGs, mechs, and anthropomorphism.

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter [http://www.amazon.com/Solatorobo-Red-Hunter-Nintendo-DS/dp/B0057VWTS8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1309054824&sr=8-4] is one of the more unique games released for the Nintendo DS in Japan and soon to hit the system in Europe on July 1. Annoyingly, the game was kept off of the North American radar for quite some time, until now. XSEED Games recently announced that it's officially bringing Solatorobo to North America.

Solatrobo is CyberConnect2's spiritual sequel to the PS1's Tail Concerto [http://www.amazon.com/Tail-Concerto-Playstation/dp/B00001ZUHU] which first introduced the developer's take on anthropomorphic characters piloting mechs. The same sort of gameplay is back in Solatorobo, starring the dog-like Red Savarin and his Robo companion Dahak.

Red and Dahak travel throughout the Shepherd Republic, a series of floating islands populated by dog and cat-people, in their quest for an important stolen file that leads to a deeper adventure surrounding a mysterious artifact. Mechs, called Robos in Solatorobo, are just an everyday part of life for the citizens of the Shepherd Republic.

Players will stomp around in Dahak, using the Robo to pull switches, pickup and throw items, fight enemies, and the like. Solatorobo features dozens of quests and characters to meet along the way, in addition to mini-games like fishing and racing. It's definitely a game to put on your radar if you like the obscure side of gaming.

Solatorobo: Red the Hunter will be available in North America in fall 2011.

novixz

Feb 7, 2011
Does this matter any? Sly Cooper was Anthropomorphic, I'm just assuming this game is marketed toward kids because based on the trailer.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
[small]Inb4 rude and senseless furry bashing.[/small]

That actually looks pretty cool. What's not to love about giant robots and explosions?!? I'll keep tabs on this, that's for sure. If that trailer is say, the intro cutscene to the game, or a collection of different cutscenes, then color me interested.

I love it when games do the anime-style animation to their storylines, and I don't even watch a lot of anime!

Mr. Grey

I changed my face, ya like it?
Aug 31, 2009
Why did I find this adorable?

I couldn't give a rat's ass about anthropomorphism, but for some reason I found this adorable... and I haven't a clue as to why.

Discord

Monk of Tranquility
Nov 1, 2009
I Played Tail Concerto A LONG time ago and the Japanese Release of Solatorobo was a big deal about a year ago; the Collectors Edition came with an Art Book, Soundtrack the works.

I look forward to this (Not just because I'm a Furry >.<) because I enjoy good games. ^_^

*Wags*

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Furries galore!... ehem... from that trailer, it looks quite interesting, anything with steampunk mechs and lots of explosions, furries or not, get my interest really fast.

theskadudeguy

Nov 19, 2010
Its an interesting mix to be sure. But I'm not sure whether the mix of mechs and animal-esque characters works. But as they say the proof is in the pudding!

I'll definitely give it a go!

KingGolem

Jun 16, 2009
Some gameplay footage would have been nice.

Anyway, I looked some of that up myself, and from what I saw it looks very good from both a mechanical standpoint as well as the art direction. This will be one to look out for.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
I read "spiritual sequel to the PS1's Tail Concerto" and started to care...HARD.

I LOVED Tail Concerto...it's one of those 'OMG WHY DON'T THEY MAKE A GAME LIKE THIS for the PS3/Wii/360?'.

Then again, I'd give that up for Klonoa 3 any day.

oldtaku

Jan 7, 2011
F#@4ing furries aside, I really liked Tail Concerto, and I loved the PS2 air pirate game (whose name I can't remember now) with the same art sensibility. And this looks fun. So I'm in.

KingGolem

Jun 16, 2009
tanis1lionheart said:
Then again, I'd give that up for Klonoa 3 any day.
Oh HELL yes. Klonoa is truly one of the best platformer series' out there. Genius character design, tight mechanics, and deep, emotionally affecting stories. Shame it never sold well. Damn shame, as a matter of fact. I fear we may never see Klonoa 3.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
oldtaku said:
and I loved the PS2 air pirate game (whose name I can't remember now) with the same art sensibility.
Skies of Arcadia maybe? Though that was only on Gamecube and Dreamcast.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
Very cool. Now as long as XSEED is handling some CyberConnect2 imports, maybe they can give me some .Hack//LINK already!

SUPA FRANKY

Aug 18, 2009
Xanthious said:
oldtaku said:
and I loved the PS2 air pirate game (whose name I can't remember now) with the same art sensibility.
Skies of Arcadia maybe? Though that was only on Gamecube and Dreamcast.
I believe your refering to rougue Galaxy. Its one of the PS2's best rpgs.

OT: Uh, this activated one of my pet peeves again. Why won't you show the game play? Isn't that what were going to be looking at for the next 8 hours?

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Well, I loved TC, I love XSEED, and I'm tolerant of furries...COOL!

berettastorm88

Apr 2, 2011
im afraid im going to have to get a DS for this :D
ever since GB Color i have been strict consoles and Comp.
but now i actually want,.. no, NEED a DS.

(Furries :3)

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Tom Goldman said:
Do you really need to make a big deal about it featuring anthropomorphic characters? You are singling something out for a trivial reason. No matter your intention, it comes across as negative. I request that you change the title. No offense intended.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Wait, is this game anything like rocket slime?
I loved that game and would absolutely love more of the same.