Anti-Game Critic Says "This Generation Will Give You Massacres"

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Anti-Game Critic Says "This Generation Will Give You Massacres"

Noted videogame critic Lt. Col. Dave Grossman says the prevalence of violent videogames in contemporary society has sparked a dramatic uptick in real-world violence.

The name Dave Grossman may not be as instantly recognizable as, say, Jack Thompson or Michael Atkinson, but for those who follow this sort of thing the retired Lieutenant Colonel is a well-known figure. He's the author of several books, including Stop Teaching Our Kids to Kill: A Call to Action Against TV, Movie and Video Game Violence and On Killing: The Psychological Cost of Learning to Kill in War and Society, in which he claimed that violent media "is responsible for our rising rate of murder among the young."

It's a message that tends to resonate with a certain demographic and Grossman continues to speak to audiences on the topic, most recently on May 14 at the GovSec security conference in Washington DC, where he predicted a seriously unpleasant future for the U.S. and the world. "This generation is going to give you massacres in the domestic environment and in the work environment," he told his audience.

"There is a generation of vicious, vicious killers out there," he said. "The videogames are their trainers. They've been playing Grand Theft Auto every spare moment since they were six years old."

Grossman apparently believes that we need to take steps to stop violence in schools in the same way we've made an effort to prevent fires. He pointed out that dozens of children are killed in schools every year by gun-toting maniacs, while not one has died in a fire in more than 50 years. "We must prepare for violence like firefighters prepare for fires," he added.

His views tend to be on the extreme side, as evidenced by his statement that the U.S. is "going to get nuked" because it's too lax in dealing with foreign and domestic threats, but Grossman's background gives his words real heft among his audiences. He's a former West Point psychology professor, a professor of military science and U.S. Army Ranger, and also claims on his website [http://www.killology.com/] to be "the founder of a new field of scientific endeavor" known as "killology." Nonetheless, the Government Security News website stated that his address was "long on emotion, and short on supportive evidence and detailed reasoning."

Somewhat ironically, Grossman didn't seem shy about exposing his own predisposition toward violence in the address. He warned that "all hell will break out" when the U.S. pulls out of Afghanistan and said there's only one way to deal with the worst of the nation's enemies. "We cannot deter these people," he said. "All we can do is track them down and kill them."

Source: Government Security News [http://www.gsnmagazine.com/node/29464?c=law_enforcement_first_responders]

anonymity88

Sep 20, 2010
When I read comments like this and realise that these people are actually well respected and treated with deference by some people I get very scared.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Dear Mr. Grossman

I kill fake people. You kill real people. Yet I'm the murderer?

Go fuck yourself

That is all

Sincerely, someone with a working brain.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
"We must prepare for violence like firefighters prepare for fires..."

Wait, is he suggesting that when someone gets shot in a school, a bell rings and all the students shuffle out in an organized manner?

sid

Jan 22, 2013
guys we should listen to this man, he sounds like a professional

he's the founding father of killology

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Ok, while we often refer to these people as nuts, this guy seems to be leading the pack, as is anyone who follows violence reducing advice from a Professor of 'Killology'.

RaNDM G

Apr 28, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"We cannot deter these people," he said. "All we can do is track them down and kill them."
He's a Lt. Colonel with some authority in favor of using kill squads and subverting the media's first amendment rights.

Allow me to properly freak out.

[small]On a side note, I'm starting a protest rock band called Killology. Anyone care to join?[/small]

Apr 28, 2008
This guy is so wrong it's actually kind of funny. In the US, crime rates are the lowest they've ever been since the 1960's, and are still declining.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
What a knob. Despite spewing loads of bollocks, he also uses the word 'killology' unironically. Knob.
RaNDM G said:
[small]On a side note, I'm starting a protest rock band called Killology. Anyone care to join?[/small]
Hellyeah! I'll gladly play bass (if you won't let me play the triangle).

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Ok does this guy actually expect to be taken seriously when in the same breath as he's condemning video games for turning people into serial killers and whatever he's suggesting that the only way to deal will the US's enemies is to kill them all?

Uratoh

Jun 10, 2011
so...tldr, 'I should know what drives people to kill, I want to kill everyone and everything that disagrees with me'?

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
What about military or police training? or gun ranges? I think they teach you how to use a gun.

Nowhere Man

Mar 10, 2013
Andy Chalk said:
His views tend to be on the extreme side, as evidenced by his statement that the U.S. is "going to get nuked" because it's too lax in dealing with foreign and domestic threats..

Somewhat ironically, Grossman didn't seem shy about exposing his own predisposition toward violence in the address. He warned that "all hell will break out" when the U.S. pulls out of Afghanistan and said there's only one way to deal with the worst of the nation's enemies. "We cannot deter these people," he said. "All we can do is track them down and kill them."
Nothing to see here people. Just a complete right wing loon that should be shipped off to one of Saturn's far moons on his own one way rocket so we never have to hear from him again.

"There is a generation of vicious, vicious killers out there," he said. "The videogames are their trainers. They've been playing Grand Theft Auto every spare moment since they were six years old."
Why do these idiots act like GTA and Call of Duty were the only video games ever made and being played?

violent media "is responsible for our rising rate of murder among the young."
No, the disintegration of the family structure and disregard of parental responsibilities are whats to blame for rising murder rates. If there ARE any rising rates. Hasn't murder and violent crime as a whole actually gone DOWN over the years?

Please go away Lt. Grossman. And never come back.

Adam Jensen_v1legacy

I never asked for this
Sep 8, 2011
canadamus_prime said:
Ok does this guy actually expect to be taken seriously when in the same breath as he's condemning video games for turning people into serial killers and whatever he's suggesting that the only way to deal will the US's enemies is to kill them all?
He's a paranoid nutcase. So yeah, he expects to be taken seriously like all paranoid nutcases.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Oh man, look at all this solid evidence this guy is providing. Wow, so much evidence, can't handle this.

Oh fucking wait.