Anti-Game Critic Says "This Generation Will Give You Massacres"

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Ok, if he was talking about the galmourisation of violence, games being a part of that etc etc.

But...he's a Lt Colonel...c'mon.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
deathbydeath said:
"We must prepare for violence like firefighters prepare for fires..."

Wait, is he suggesting that when someone gets shot in a school, a bell rings and all the students shuffle out in an organized manner?
Wouldn't surprise me if that's what he thinks is a good idea for how to deal with the situation.

Also... this guy can't see the internal logical consistency problems with him...

A) saying that videogames will magically cause an entire generation to become psychotic raving lunatics (despite all evidence that suggests the contrary or at the very least, makes his claims VERY unlikely)

and...

B) saying that we need to hunt down everyone in the Middle East and kill them?

Umm... what?

THIS guy needs professional help.

Colbster94

Mar 26, 2012
Aw look, A presumably PTSD soldier has exploited peoples fears and capitalized for his own gain. Besides that, theres nothing original about his statements, move along.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
So on one hand we have the usual pablum about "games are making kids into killers!" without even approaching the concept of just keeping kids from playing them (with some of that "parental supervision" stuff I heard about somewhere), and on the other hand he calls for hunting down and killing others and apparently advocates the continued presence of US troops in Afghanistan (which has gotten us exactly what over the past decade-plus?).

I mean, the term "killology" is enough to scoff at, but now I wonder if the US Army does intelligence testing as a part of its officer selection.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
deathbydeath said:
TheDoctor455 said:
B) saying that we need to hunt down everyone in the Middle East and kill them?
Hey man, sometimes you got to be really, really sure.
Don't care if you're joking or not. Not funny.

And not okay to say.

Genocide, or even proposed genocide is not to be taken lightly.

Riobux

Apr 15, 2009
anonymity88 said:
When I read comments like this and realise that these people are actually well respected and treated with deference by some people I get very scared.
By a small minority. Seriously.

I think I might start using my soon-to-be-gained degree in sociology to try to prove that video games causes a lot of harm. Apparently it's the fast-track way of getting instant fame, especially since you don't need to do actual research.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Adam Jensen said:
canadamus_prime said:
Ok does this guy actually expect to be taken seriously when in the same breath as he's condemning video games for turning people into serial killers and whatever he's suggesting that the only way to deal will the US's enemies is to kill them all?
He's a paranoid nutcase. So yeah, he expects to be taken seriously like all paranoid nutcases.
Well he'll have to pardon me if I don't take him seriously.
Nowhere Man said:
No, the disintegration of the family structure and disregard of parental responsibilities are whats to blame for rising murder rates. If there ARE any rising rates. Hasn't murder and violent crime as a whole actually gone DOWN over the years?

Please go away Lt. Grossman. And never come back.
I know that's certainly what I'd attribute it to.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
TheDoctor455 said:
Don't care if you're joking or not. Not funny.

And not okay to say.

Genocide, or even proposed genocide is not to be taken lightly.
Actually, it was satire. I was poking holes in his views by taking them a step further to their logical conclusion, which is irrational. Any humor to be gained from that was from you and you alone. See Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal" for something similar.

Johnson McGee

Nov 16, 2009
deathbydeath said:
"We must prepare for violence like firefighters prepare for fires..."

Wait, is he suggesting that when someone gets shot in a school, a bell rings and all the students shuffle out in an organized manner?
Don't be ridiculous. He's obviously suggesting that all students and teachers be allowed to carry concealed weapons. You know, like how everyone carries a fire extinguisher at all times.

In seriousness though, these people need to start getting sued for libel. They are saying things that can be indisputably proven false about large groups of people. Specifically that young people are violent and that crime rates are rising. No one would get away with saying black people are vicious killers but it's ok to say the same thing about teens and twenty-somethings?

Royas

Apr 25, 2008
Ya know, if games are really turning an entire generation of kids into psychopathic killers and mass murderers, maybe he shouldn't be saying things that might piss them off. Doesn't seem to be the safe move to me.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
He seems paranoid enough that few will take him seriously.

Also when is the trend supposed to reverse? Violent crime amongst youths has steadily gone down over the past couple of decades.

Sqrt(-1)

Jul 12, 2012
It looks like Lt. Col. Dave Grossman has also co-authored a science fiction novel, where "sentient wooden ships travel beneath canvas sails in a universe that is corrosive to technology." Elves and dwarves are also aliens.

http://www.killology.com/book_twospace_summary.htm

OT: Actually, the source article sums up my reaction pretty nicely:
"The gangs have declared war on our cops," announced Grossman, whose talk was long on emotion, and short on supportive evidence and detailed reasoning.

Zombie_Moogle

Dec 25, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
"We cannot deter these people," he said. "All we can do is track them down and kill them."
So, the guy advocating genocide is gonna tell us how we're all too violent... right...

Oh, & youth violence, along with violent crime in the U.S. in general, has been going down for the past 18-ish years, so his argument is invalid on its face

Also, "killology"
That is all

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
Oh look another one blaming games, yet films and books get no such blame or better yet how about we focus on the real problems?

Things such as parent's stopping children playing games that aren't appropriate maybe? no? what about gun control? (for the us, yeh yeh england has more knife crime, etc. etc. I'm not trying to start a flame war) I can think of plenty of other things which I would blame before games if I'm honest, but no it automatically has to be video games.

It amazes me how people like this can even be taken seriously, but don't worry America your not the only one with idiots in the world look who got re elected in part of my country (England); http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/colin-brewer-councillor-new-sick-1887780

It's times like these were i want a i don't want to live on this planet gif...

Baldry

Feb 11, 2009
This guy's just straight up lying. I didn't start playing GTA till I was at least 7.

Yuuki

Mar 19, 2013
It is increasing real-world violence rates about as much as the portrayal of women in games is increasing real-world sexism/mysoginism against women.

Tee hee.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Never having read his work, I can't comment on it. All I can say is that we all know correlation does not equal causation. Also, he has fallen into the medias trap. There is not more violence in youths these days, at least as far as I am able to ascertain based on statistics. The only statistics I can find is that overall violent crimes have actually steadily declined since 2001 with a strange upsurge in 2006 for some reason. It's a trap... the news shows us mass murder and people think it's common, but it's not. It's simply, what you see is all there is mentality.

ninjaRiv

Aug 25, 2010
EXTRA EXTRA! STUPID MAN SAYS STUPID THINGS!

Maaaaaaaaaaaan. Killology. Jesus... That's the name a five year old gives to things

Look at his eyes, folks... That's the stare of a killologist. Somebody with the ability to kill brain cells just by touching you.

Parakeettheprawn

Apr 6, 2013
anonymity88 said:
When I read comments like this and realise that these people are actually well respected and treated with deference by some people I get very scared.
Try thinking about the fact that people think FOX News is the only true news network in life. My dad one time had to work with a guy who refused to change the TVs off of FOX when they wanted to bring up the news, and when they tried to suggest CNN, the guy responded "oh, the Communist News Network?"

Radicalism is becoming the new norm in America, and I for one am not keen on it. Atheists, Christians, Conservatives, Liberals, scientific disciplines, parents, children... it seems like everyone has gone into a permanent rage mode.