Anti-Gay Email Campaign Floods Electronic Arts

SomeBrianDude

Nov 30, 2010
I would really love EA's response to be along the lines of "You're all narrow minded bigots, using whatever excuse springs to mind (be it religion, or the 'defense of family values', or whatever else) to give your bigotry a façade of respectability. We see through that façade, and are asking you, as politely as we possibly can, to fuck off."

I mean, they won't, but it would be nice.

Burst6

Mar 16, 2009
Buretsu said:
sharpshooter188 said:
I want to know why it so easily just throws you into a same sex humping when you are just being friendly. Apparently, there is something wrong with a guy liking a vagina and a woman liking a penis. It's like straight people are being guilt tripped about being straight now a days.
To be fair, it just as easily throws you into opposite sex humping when you are just being friendly. It's not so much pushing homosexuality, as trying to get people interested in a game because you can have partially on-screen intercourse with characters in it.
Yeah, pretty much. I'm pretty sure i got renegade points because i didn't want my femshep to do vega.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
To all the anti gay activists and homophobes attempting to disguise their bigotry as "family values" or some other bullshit reason to keep gay marriage from being legal, I will take a page from the philosophy of Stuart Mill with the "greatest happiness principle.

All people have the right to pursue the maximum happiness possible UNTIL said pursuit impedes the happiness of others.

We don't care that you don't like homosexuality, we care that you're trying to make everyone's lives miserable over it. Dislike it all you want, it doesn't affect you directly, stop trying to tell people they can't do it.

On the topic of EA, they should tell them to fuck off and to not buy their games if they don't like it. Not like they're hurting for sales.

Nemu

In my hand I hold a key...
Oct 14, 2009
punipunipyo said:
I think there is nothing wrong with gay.. however, this game DOES rub it in players' face about the galaxy being "gay-okay" when one of your crew member is gay, and there are many cut scenes of him talking about his husband, and few other side walk NPCs that chats about their Lez/Gay relationships... I think this game is a little bit over done with the Gay thing... too much information, I know it's to show the whole open gender thing, but there is too much focus on the gay ones...

Funny, gay folks often say that about how the hetero thing is "rubbed in their faces", too.

Back to more of an OP statement: That being said, I am gay (specifically a lesbian) and I couldn't care less one way or the other.
I don't play games to form romances within them. I'm an officer in gay guilds in many MMOs and I think the only member who isn't interested in the ToR relationship aspect. I'm far too busy killing Reps and being overly evil.

Good on Bio/EA for standing their ground, tho. They know they cater to a demographic that is more generally accepting of gays (among other so-called social pariahs, like geeks and nerds), so they know who they need to stick by.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
albino boo said:
RT-Medic-with-shotgun said:
Alright then- Family values nutters, time for a Lesson in the economy.

When you DO NOT BUY THE PRODUCT TO BEGIN WITH you cannot boycott it. If i disagreed with the giant pink dildo company, i cannot boycott them because i do not buy the products. Similarly if you do not buy games you cannot boycott them.

Why is their point of view any less valid than that of those poeple complaining about the ending of ME3? I don't I agree with it, but they are as just entitled to express to their point of view as anyone else. How do you know the private opinions of other players, have you empirical data saying only liberals buy games? My experience of online play seems to suggest that there is rampant homophobia amongst hardcore gamers. I don't think there has been a day when I haven't heard some sort of homophobic insult when playing online.
Because last I checked no-one could really associate themselves with being a disappointing ending, whereas plenty of people can associate themselves with being gay, because they are. By trying to get the gay part removed, it's setting a clear "no gays allowed" sorta vibe, whereas changing the ending, or adding bits on after doesn't have any such connotations

Emiscary

Sep 7, 2008
I'm sure there's about 57 emails complaining that the ending was garbage and another 12 listing the lies made regarding it pre and post release for every gay bashing e-mail, but hey- what matters is that EA can paint their customers in as negative a light as possible while deflecting attention from their recent failures and shattered public image.

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
I'd love to see what these emails say. Something along the lines of:

"Dear heathens. I've never played this game, but I hear it has gayness in it and I'm worried that my 2 year old daughter who also has not played the game might catch lesbianism. I think you should remove all gayness from the game or at least allow the gay and lesbian characters to be shot out into space so they may repent in a vacuum. Yours Truly, a very concerned Mother of one"

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I think at this point boycotting ST:TOR and ME3 wouldnt be a real issue since hey've both had to have made enough money to cover their costs at least tree times over.

anyway im just gonna say tat youre free to think whatever you want, but just remember your kids learn from you and if they're going to be this ignorant, you may as well not bother to teach them anything and just let them become self centered bigoted assholes against EVERYONE (race/gender/religion/sexuality) because theres no point in being bigoted if youre not going all in.

Simonoly

Oct 17, 2011
cpt blackamar said:
albino boo said:

When you DO NOT BUY THE PRODUCT TO BEGIN WITH you cannot boycott it. If i disagreed with the giant pink dildo company, i cannot boycott them because i do not buy the products. Similarly if you do not buy games you cannot boycott them.

Why is their point of view any less valid than that of those poeple complaining about the ending of ME3? I don't I agree with it, but they are as just entitled to express to their point of view as anyone else. How do you know the private opinions of other players, have you empirical data saying only liberals buy games? My experience of online play seems to suggest that there is rampant homophobia amongst hardcore gamers. I don't think there has been a day when I haven't heard some sort of homophobic insult when playing online.
Because last I checked no-one could really associate themselves with being a disappointing ending, whereas plenty of people can associate themselves with being gay, because they are. By trying to get the gay part removed, it's setting a clear "no gays allowed" sorta vibe, whereas changing the ending, or adding bits on after doesn't have any such connotations
I was waiting for someone to try and draw parallels between the controversy with the ending and this. I knew it would creep up somewhere, just maybe not on these forums.

Dr. Crawver

Doesn't know why he has premium
Nov 20, 2009
Simonoly said:
cpt blackamar said:
albino boo said:

I was waiting for someone to try and draw parallels between the controversy with the ending and this. I knew it would creep up somewhere, just maybe not on these forums.
I was hoping that it wouldn't be here too, but plenty of people just don't get why people are angry at the ME3 ending, and so assume that their anger is as valid as those of bigots. All I say is listen to the arguments made, and you'll see the difference.

BehattedWanderer

Fell off the Alligator.
Jun 24, 2009
Okay, so we take out gay sex, then what? Do we have to take out xenophilic sex as well? Because that will not stand, I promise you. If femshep can't tap Garrus' hot flesh, or manshep can't score with Tali, and Han can't hook up with Chewy, then what??

Hold fast, EA. It makes sense to stand up for one of the few ways we don't hate you. Give us more!

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Sadly, the flaw in there logic that you can't boycott what you don't buy anyways, is the same logical flaw that gamers have when they boycott anything expect backwards. You're not boycotting something when you buy it regardless.

Orinon

Jan 24, 2010
Well, if Fox news hated mass effect before, they must definitely hate it now. Considering from what I know of Fox News, there may be a chance this will end up as a topic. Though this might not happen, according to the previous show, the expert was from Spike TV, (Meaning he may have not even been from EA, or Bioware or from the mass effect development team). but that's off topic, however considering how the last guy was treated, I'm betting no one would agree to come for a (with loads of sarcasm) fair and reasonable debate. (I will let you finish snickering).

Undeadpool

Aug 17, 2009

I think they're trying to rope people who MIGHT buy it into not buying it. Which is even funnier.

In any event, not half bad for the most reviled company in America. Nice job, whiners!

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
EA's had gay characters since 1996; Sim Copter, & notably The Sims.

Haters can go stick a dildo up their butts.

individual11

Sep 6, 2010
I agree that the lack of tolerance towards all sorts of diversity in our culture is wrong.
I believe lot of 'social watchdogs' have a skewed world view.

I think the timing of EA making a scene on the issue isn't coincidental.
EA's underhand business practices are becoming known to the masses and they need a sympathy vote.