Anti-Smoking Nintendo DS Game Due in November

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
L.B. Jeffries said:
Gads, what next? A game that teaches me to stop all my pesky questioning of authority?
Funny you should mention that, LB... ;P

Actually, I wonder if it's at all effective? Hey, if you don't wanna quit, have at it. If you don't smoke, ignore it. But there are people I know who want to quit and will try anything to help. If a game can help, interesting idea. I'm for anything that can give a rosier view of games.

cLoNe_cf

Dec 14, 2007
Andraste said:
L.B. Jeffries said:
Gads, what next? A game that teaches me to stop all my pesky questioning of authority?

Actually, I wonder if it's at all effective? Hey, if you don't wanna quit, have at it. If you don't smoke, ignore it. But there are people I know who want to quit and will try anything to help. If a game can help, interesting idea. I'm for anything that can give a rosier view of games.
Well... That's actually a good point... For the people who want to stop, (hey, it's a free country... At least it is here) It might actually work...

But i just can't help shaking the feeling that's it's jumping on the "Smokers are the scum of society" band-wagon...
I'm a Brit and I'm getting sick and tired of being treated like a social pariah just because i want to have a cigarette.
The way some people react, it's like i'm waving around a machette in the street...

Nugoo

Jan 25, 2008
Seriously, guys (and girls). This isn't some normal game with an overt anti-smoking message. The 'game' is called Allen Carr's Easyway to Stop Smoking. Odds are pretty good that you're only going to buy this game if you are trying to stop smoking.

L.B. Jeffries

Nov 29, 2007
Andraste said:
L.B. Jeffries said:

I know the slippery slope argument is an incredibly irrational one, but when I see stuff like this I feel like Pandora's Box is about to be opened. Maybe there's no stopping it even.

The fact is, games have a stunning potential for teaching and modifying behavior. A 6 year old rattling off a functioning knowledge of Pokemon breeding habits and performing complex math to see when his character will level up is not something to be underestimated. So I'm not shocked that people are hoping to use that potential for good. Hell, stopping cigarettes is an ordeal and even though I switched to cigars, at least those are only once a week (usually Friday, with Bourbon, at a nice porch bar...). So more power to em.

But don't mind me if I point out that some very, very screwed up things could happen too. I shudder to think what someone in say...a dangerous cult would consider a good game for the kids to be playing and learning from.

Amoena

Mar 30, 2008
stompy said:
Yes... be glad they haven't gotten several big-name animated characters in a cartoon, to prevent the littins' from smoking... yeh, I'm serious.
Do you remember that cartoon with Bugs Bunny and Garfield and all sorts of characters from WB taught a kid that drugs were bad? I'm pretty sure there was a smoking one too though....just let me put a gun to my inner child's head and I'm sure I'll remember what it was ^_^

Lt. Sera

Apr 22, 2008
If the current situation keeps up, smoking will be prohibited everywhere anyway, that should be enough to make most of em quit. Which i find kind of retarded, no smoking in bars? Seriously, i get the no smoking in restaurants, but bars.. things get a little too far, imo.

Kind of offtopic, but hell, no one really minds, do they?

eggdog14

Oct 17, 2007
FUN FACT:

It's Rated for ages "3+"! so all those chain-smoking toddlers can cut the habit early.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
eggdog14 said:
FUN FACT:

It's Rated for ages "3+"! so all those chain-smoking toddlers can cut the habit early.
That's strange really. As I understood it nothing short of murder with blunt objects will keep a smoker from going into a stress-induced coma when they've gone without for a few minutes. How they're going to pull this out without gallons of blood I have no idea ^^

Feb 13, 2008
Lt. Sera said:
If the current situation keeps up, smoking will be prohibited everywhere anyway, that should be enough to make most of em quit. Which i find kind of retarded, no smoking in bars? Seriously, i get the no smoking in restaurants, but bars.. things get a little too far, imo.

Kind of offtopic, but hell, no one really minds, do they?
You want to re-check that? Smoking is prohibited in everywhere except members bars; which includes the House of Commons; and probably the White House. The non-smokers are complaining about having to pass all the smokers at the entries, and unless they're IV'ing morphine, there is NOTHING that will make giving up anywhere near fun.

So, let's check this out : Glue/Knives/Alcohol-16, Viewing Sex-18, Having Sex-16, Smoking-18(Even Herbal) and banned in most places; Watching Lethal Violence, Non-Lethal Violence, Coffee, Sugar, MSG, Tartrazine, Ritalin, Valium...no age restriction.

Uhm...

Quite apart from the idea of who this is going to appeal to, apart from overprotective parents; how about it not being a game, and maybe is something to stem the increase in bad education, suicidal eating habits and intolerance for others wishes?

Or is that being too sane?

Masked Designer

Jan 26, 2008
And here I thought Bronchie Health Hero was going to be the last health related game anyone ever heard of. Just had to bring an old trick back for a new dog, eh Mr. Carr?

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Amoena said:
stompy said:
Yes... be glad they haven't gotten several big-name animated characters in a cartoon, to prevent the littins' from smoking... yeh, I'm serious.
Do you remember that cartoon with Bugs Bunny and Garfield and all sorts of characters from WB taught a kid that drugs were bad? I'm pretty sure there was a smoking one too though....just let me put a gun to my inner child's head and I'm sure I'll remember what it was ^_^
Look, I'm sorry if this comes off a little too blunt... but the whole joke was that I was referring to the cartoon I mentioned. I'm sorry, but you kinda killed it...

DannyDamage

Aug 27, 2008
hughball post=7.60893.483751 said:
Digikid said:
Great!!!

But mind you....if you are RETARDED enough to smoke in the first place then this game will not help you at all.
Retarded eh that's a pretty massive generalization there buddy particularly considering retardation is not a choice smoking is...you sir are a moron.
Agrees with the moronic claims. MAJOR fecking generalisation there 'DigiKid'.

This "game" and others like it are paving the way for more people to tell you what not to do until someone eventually releases a "how to not have fun......ever" game.

I'll echo again and say it's nothing more than ignorant, do-gooder propaganda. Trying to make more people buy into the BS that all smokers are in fact evil, nasty people.

They should release a game where you go around criminalising other personal choices people make. Oh wait, I think everyone but smokers have claimed some kind of compensation for discrimination already so you'd just be left with smokers and old people travelling on the bus. Damn.

AuntyEthel

Sep 19, 2008
Its all going back to those old arcade games, where the FBI told us that Winners Don't Take Drugs. Sorry FBI, but you failed to convince me! We should all be capable of making our own decisions, not relying on games to make them for us.

Mister Ash

Aug 19, 2008
as I've seen in a few places 'Asking me to stop smoking is hazardous to your health'

my lungs, my choice, don't like it, sod off. are my sentiments

as for the game, sure, fine, no problem, if people want to quit smoking, the more ways they have to stop, then the more likley the are to quit, and fair enough, if that's what they want. but if anyone buys it me, they're gonna get laughed out of the room.

i'm 24, i drink heavily, and smoke heavily, and I Like It