Anti-Trump Witches trying to figure out which of them cast the spell to give Trump Covid-19

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Look it's a current even, it may be insane and stupid but this is apparently the news from Vice.

Some of the tweets highlighted by the article

Obviously, the White House is responsible for hosting a superspreader event because it refuses to take seriously and listen to the science about a virus that has killed more than 200,000 people in the U.S. But Trump's test result also came through on October 1, which happened to be a harvest moon, which is significant to witches for it's symbolism related to the changing of the seasons—think of it as a particularly potent full moon. Don't pat yourself on the back for your full moon ritual just yet, though. A lot of witches have been hexing Trump for a very long time.
Take the Science seriously guys......... but apparently it's totes witches who were responsible for this........

The basic reasoning behind the idea that Trump's diagnosis is a result of a witch's hex is the timing. Pamela Grossman, host of The Witch Wave podcast and author of _Waking the Witch: Reflections on Women, Magic and Powe_r, said that the moon itself played a role in the symbolism that made October 1 feel particularly witchy. The President announced his positive test result late on October 1, which is a full moon and also the full moon closest to the autumnal equinox, known as a harvest moon. She said that while many of the rituals that witches have been doing previously have fallen on the new moon, which symbolizes starting a new chapter or a new beginning.
Grossman said that she has observed a rise in people, particularly women, seeking out witchcraft and spirituality in reaction to Trump's presidency.
So that's why STEM fields have so much of a number issue

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Inb4 the inevitable dumbasses who don't get it and start having some Salem style ideas.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
If one likes cringeworthy material, "witchy" subreddits are one way to go. I'd still steer clear of Twitter. 'tis a hexed place.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
I think you know where you can shove the ignorant sexist STEM comment. That type of sexist drivel even being allowed on the old escapist was part of the very reason females said they did not feel welcome there, BTW. We had threads discussing that very issue. The fact that you don't understand how messed up that comment is speaks volumes.. Sure you think it is fine because hey, it is ONLY women right? Just replace the joke with Blacks, Indigenous, or any other people and see how hilariously funny it sounds then. Keep your sexist BS to yourself TYVM.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Foolish people speaking foolishness.

If they were murdering people, or calling for murder, or marching with guns and swastikas, people would be all "freeze peach!", but because they are talking superstitious nonsense that harms nobody, it's a problem.

Reactions: TheMysteriousGX

Terminal Blue

Elite Member
Legacy
Feb 18, 2010
Country
United Kingdom
Again, this is where I have to point out that Trump's spiritual advisor not only believes that witches are real, she also literally believes Florida is infested with squid spirits from the demonic realm of water that control peoples' minds with their tentacles.

Since Trump selected her as spiritual advisor, I guess we can assume he believes that too.

ObsidianJones

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 29, 2020
Country
United States
Again, this is where I have to point out that Trump's spiritual advisor not only believes that witches are real, she also literally believes Florida is infested with squid spirits from the demonic realm of water that control peoples' minds with their tentacles.

Since Trump selected her as spiritual advisor, I guess we can assume he believes that too.
As someone who now lives here, I have to admit Cthulhu is the only logical reason for the state of Florida

Reactions: Dwarvenhobble

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
I used to think stuff like this was funny, and then I realized that the level of idiocy from the religious fuckwads in this country, means they will actually think this is real, and that it's the work of the actual devil, and his liberal LGBTQ hellspawn servants, that their chosen by god (yes, many of them think this about trump) president that he got covid. And then they will act accordingly. Namely making stupid ass decisions about voting and other bullshit, that ACTUALLY harms the rest of us.

So....yeah, wish I could laugh at this, but I frankly can't anymore.

Reactions: Satinavian

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
If one likes cringeworthy material, "witchy" subreddits are one way to go. I'd still steer clear of Twitter. 'tis a hexed place.
Like the Moon?

I think you know where you can shove the ignorant sexist STEM comment. That type of sexist drivel even being allowed on the old escapist was part of the very reason females said they did not feel welcome there, BTW. We had threads discussing that very issue. The fact that you don't understand how messed up that comment is speaks volumes.. Sure you think it is fine because hey, it is ONLY women right? Just replace the joke with Blacks, Indigenous, or any other people and see how hilariously funny it sounds then. Keep your sexist BS to yourself TYVM.

It's an old joke about how somehow Women's Studies courses end up 95% women (at minimum) and they're the ones shouting loudest about how Stem needs to improve. A lot of women in STEM don't give two shits or even it's them or start making such jokes. If a joke mocking the weird things going on in society is enough to alienate people they're struggle to survive some STEM fields where their are conflicts over lab arrangements. Oh no I'm being nasty to the people who believe in magic powers pretty sure I was mocking religion in another thread too.

Oh and BTW. It works just as well when you mock anyone pushing magic powers and how Science should accept them or it's [bank]-ist.

I mean. What? Fucking what?
Exactly.

Foolish people speaking foolishness.

If they were murdering people, or calling for murder, or marching with guns and swastikas, people would be all "freeze peach!", but because they are talking superstitious nonsense that harms nobody, it's a problem.
No it's just funny to see happen when I kept being told one side was the party of reason and the other the party of superstition and then things like this happen.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Like the Moon?

It's an old joke about how somehow Women's Studies courses end up 95% women (at minimum) and they're the ones shouting loudest about how Stem needs to improve. A lot of women in STEM don't give two shits or even it's them or start making such jokes. If a joke mocking the weird things going on in society is enough to alienate people they're struggle to survive some STEM fields where their are conflicts over lab arrangements. Oh no I'm being nasty to the people who believe in magic powers pretty sure I was mocking religion in another thread too.

Oh and BTW. It works just as well when you mock anyone pushing magic powers and how Science should accept them or it's [bank]-ist.

Exactly.

No it's just funny to see happen when I kept being told one side was the party of reason and the other the party of superstition and then things like this happen.
AGAIN:

"Our recent work helps explain why some women who go to college intending to be engineers end up leaving the profession before even starting their careers. Of course, not all of the men we studied decided to pursue engineering careers, but they wrote that they appreciated the tools that their education gave them. Women’s experience of their education differed along two critical dimensions — they encountered a culture where sexism and stereotypes were left unaddressed, and they saw only lip service offered toward improving society—and both of these disproportionately alienated them.

The number of women and men are nearly equal in law and medicine, and the number of women in basic sciences is growing annually. With such a low proportion of female engineers nationally, educators and businesses need to pay more attention to how an occupation founded on a commitment to complex problem-solving so consistently fails to repair its well-documented gender problem.

Efforts focused only on changing the curriculum are insufficient because they simply reproduce the norms and practices of the profession. In order to curb the high rates of women leaving the field, engineering programs need to address gendered tasking and expectations among teams, in class and at internship work sites. The culture has to learn to take women seriously."

Women actually wanting to make positive changes in the world, and deal with a less sexist environment isn't a reason to make an old sexist joke. Saying " it doesn't bother all women" doesn't make it any better. According to the data, it bothers more than you realize.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
AGAIN:

"Our recent work helps explain why some women who go to college intending to be engineers end up leaving the profession before even starting their careers. Of course, not all of the men we studied decided to pursue engineering careers, but they wrote that they appreciated the tools that their education gave them. Women’s experience of their education differed along two critical dimensions — they encountered a culture where sexism and stereotypes were left unaddressed, and they saw only lip service offered toward improving society—and both of these disproportionately alienated them.

The number of women and men are nearly equal in law and medicine, and the number of women in basic sciences is growing annually. With such a low proportion of female engineers nationally, educators and businesses need to pay more attention to how an occupation founded on a commitment to complex problem-solving so consistently fails to repair its well-documented gender problem.

Efforts focused only on changing the curriculum are insufficient because they simply reproduce the norms and practices of the profession. In order to curb the high rates of women leaving the field, engineering programs need to address gendered tasking and expectations among teams, in class and at internship work sites. The culture has to learn to take women seriously."

Women actually wanting to make positive changes in the world, and deal with a less sexist environment isn't a reason to make an old sexist joke. Saying " it doesn't bother all women" doesn't make it any better. According to the data, it bothers more than you realize.
Look if we're going to go down this road I feel I have to call you out on this rather sexist thread you made

You know the one where you pushed the generalised idea men don't see women as role models etc.

You want to complain about stereotypes......... go complain to Vice they were the ones who wrote it's mostly women flocking to Witchcraft and spirituality not me.

I merely commented that people going to that would likely not be steering towards Stem I wasn't the one who said it was mostly women going there.

But hey at least when we reach 50:50 in all Stem fields all the men who won't be allowed into subjects that are majority female because balancing them out doesn't matter they can happily go join the army and die fighting in pointless wars as disposable individuals.

Reactions: Hawki

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Look if we're going to go down this road I feel I have to call you out on this rather sexist thread you made

You know the one where you pushed the generalised idea men don't see women as role models etc.

You want to complain about stereotypes......... go complain to Vice they were the ones who wrote it's mostly women flocking to Witchcraft and spirituality not me.

I merely commented that people going to that would likely not be steering towards Stem I wasn't the one who said it was mostly women going there.

But hey at least when we reach 50:50 in all Stem fields all the men who won't be allowed into subjects that are majority female because balancing them out doesn't matter they can happily go join the army and die fighting in pointless wars as disposable individuals.
That isn't sexist at all BTW. We already established both men and women have male heroes, however, if you read the article, this isn't as common in regards to women. Curiosity on how many in our community have female heroes as well as male isn't sexist. I didn't actually " push the idea",. in fact I broadened it further so that it would better suit the general understanding of heroes/ role models ect. I was actually hoping to challenge the idea expressed in the article that men do not, and that is exactly what happened. I was HOPING men in our community didn't see women in the same way they had expressed in that article, although we did have some men if you read the thread who did express the same view within that article, and I was honestly surprised at who that was tbh.

I am not complaining about the article, I am pointing out your joke sucked and wasn't funny. That wasn't the article's fault, it was yours. I love a good joke, but that wasn't one of them. :)

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
That isn't sexist at all BTW. We already established both men and women have male heroes, however, if you read the article, this isn't as common in regards to women. Curiosity on how many in our community have female heroes as well as male isn't sexist. I didn't actually " push the idea",. in fact I broadened it further so that it would better suit the general understanding of heroes/ role models ect. I was actually hoping to challenge the idea expressed in the article that men do not, and that is exactly what happened. I was HOPING men in our community didn't see women in the same way they had expressed in that article, although we did have some men if you read the thread who did express the same view within that article, and I was honestly surprised at who that was tbh.

I am not complaining about the article, I am pointing out your joke sucked and wasn't funny. That wasn't the article's fault, it was yours. I love a good joke, but that wasn't one of them. :)

Actually yes it would be sexist based on that thread and the seeming approach taken and your responses, you want to play by these terms we can do but it condemns you as much if not more than me. The thread proving the claims wrong doesn't make it less sexist nor by your own logic does it change the fact you were the one sharing it even if the article said it.

My joke seems to have only sucked because somehow I've struck a cord about and was using the article as part of the basis to make said joke. I mean are we expecting people upset that people believe in magical powers like that are going to be big into STEM? Or are we arguing STEM is at fault for not accepting magic, you know like the Fallists in the video I linked? Or are you upset I made a joke about Witches probably not being into STEM?

I mean if it's the latter you'd have been better making a "Nightmare Nurse" reference or something as a come back not yelling sexism

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
I mean if it's the latter you'd have been better making a "Nightmare Nurse" reference or something as a come back not yelling sexism and trying to paint the idea (which would also be pretty sexist) that somehow women were driven off the old escapist forum because they were that incapable of making a joke. Jesus it would be like people getting mad when I make jokes about religion because it's driving off religious people from here.

I mean are you mad because you actually think it's true about most women not being in Stem because of that? Cause you know what I said was a joke and you've admitted a clear enough one you even got so clearly as I said it as a joke it wasn't my position. So to be offended over something that was clearly not my position makes me have to ask if it is yours?

(Forum wouldn't let me post it as one post, don't ask why)

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
How many of these "witches" are trying to encode their beliefs into law to force the rest of us to follow them?

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
How many of these "witches" are trying to encode their beliefs into law to force the rest of us to follow them?
Looking at The Fallists. I'm sure they'd happily try that if they thought they stood a chance. So far they just want Science to accept it though lol