Antitheists and hypocrisy (SORRY FOR MAKING A RELIGION THREAD)

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Okay first of all as I said in the title, sorry for making a religion thread but I really need to get it off my chest.

You know them, or maybe even are one of them. Atheists. I am not one for one but I don't particularly despise them or any other religions for that matter.

Anyway a particular group of them always whine about how christian people always try to convert everyone and let's take my brother for example. He always says that as well and WHENEVER someone brings up religion he has a speech how all religion is bullshit and that atheism is the only way to go.

This is a trend I recognise on more people and is the irony lost on them?

They complain about how theists try to convert people into believing into the gods, wheras they use that argument to convince someone to be an atheist!

Is it just me or do more people notice this and could someone clear this up for me?

EDIT: If you know what I'm talking about, antitheists as you call them, why do you still desregard EVERYTHING I say?

Jovlo

May 12, 2008
I used to be an atheist but I'm agnostic now. Even I find myself trying to convince people that agnosticism is the only way to go.
It's hard to resist I guess, we all want to be right.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
I have been something along those lines on every thread where atheism crops up. The religious people on this site are for more polite (in general) than the majority of atheists.

What's even more pathetic is that half the people who are bitching about attempts to convert them probably have had somebody give them a flier at the most.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Avykins said:
Do not be sorry for making a religion thread. Just do not do it in the first place. Especially as the hypocrisy of atheists has been brought up a few times in the last couple weeks alone. Not to mention this has practically zero discussion value.
Really? It must have died quickly then because I hadn't noticed it..

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
I don't whine about people trying to convert me.
Stop being hypocritical yourself by harshly generalizing us.
You don't see me going around saying "all Christians are stupid, hate gay marriage, believe in Creatonism" either.

Atheist is somebody who believes in no gods (though it says nothing about spirituality).
Antitheist is somebody who hates religion as a whole and is actively opposed to it.

Jaqen Hghar

Feb 11, 2009
I am an atheist who hate religions who do everything in their power to convert people to their faith. I might have tried in the past to make people think about what they are following, but never in the same way as most religions do it.

So now I just don't care. If someone is very very Christian, that's fine. As long as I don't have to be reminded of it all the time. But Creationists, those I cannot stand. I don't know anyone, but if I met one I would probably discuss till my tounge got swollen and gagged me.

My point is, people can do whatever they want. If anyone brings up religion, I'll say I don't believe in anything and leave it at that. BUT if someone then tries to convert me, I'll answer in the same way. Fight fire with fire. Or fight conversion with conversion.

No One Jones

Aug 17, 2009
Idealism abound. People need to let go of idealism not belief. Belief is personal, idealism is the intellectual(some would say dickhead) prerogative to go ahead and change the world according to your ideals, because the world is "wrong" and you are "right".

bladeofdarkness

Aug 6, 2009
when ever someone brings up religion, they tend to mock them for it ?
...i suppose its not all that different if someone brings up the idea of worshiping tooth fairy
to the atheist mindframe, they are pretty much the same in terms of likelihood

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
headshotcatcher said:
bodyklok said:
Stop grouping Atheists and anti-theists together.
Well they both call themselves Atheists so that's what leads me to this conclusion >.>
Yes, just like how the Christians who believe that all homosexuals should be burned alive and the Christians who believe in love and peace both call themselves Christians.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
generally atheists have reached their conclusion logically whereas theist's beliefs are pure faith with no evidence to back it up, atheists try and convert people because they have some basis for not beleiving in god, or at least they feel that their is no reason for belief in god.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Skeleon said:
I don't whine about people trying to convert me.
Stop being hypocritical yourself by harshly generalizing us.
You don't see me going around saying "all Christians are stupid, hate gay marriage, believe in Creatonism" either.

Atheist is somebody who believes in no gods (though it says nothing about spirituality).
Antitheist is somebody who hates religion as a whole and is actively opposed to it.
headshotcatcher said:
Well they both call themselves Atheists so that's what leads me to this conclusion >.>

I am Jack said:
Casual Shinji said:
Atheists are the new "internet cool".
I thought misanthropes were the new "internet cool."
How about Atheist Misanthropes (which most of the misanthropes seem to be anyway :p)

KiiWii

Feb 3, 2008
Like i said in the last few atheist threads, i dont force my belief on people if they dont force it on me. But if they do force it on me, i will tear them down. =]

A religious persons argument inst "prove there is a god", it's "prove there is no god". Which is about as valid as saying "prove there is no monkey in this room". You can never fully prove the fact there is no monkey in the room, therefore somewhere in the room, there is a monkey.
Scientific arguments would be, "prove there is a monkey in the room", so there is no monkey in the room until we can prove that there is.

Lazier Than Thou

Jun 27, 2009
Never really understood atheist missionaries, myself. If they're right and they convert someone, it doesn't change anything as they'll still die and be thrust into that void anyway. The same is not true for the theist, however, who believes they are helping someone be saved from eternal consequences(sounded nicer than Hell).

Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Cpt. Red

Jul 24, 2008
I don't complain about that, mostly becuase being an atheist is basicly the norm over here atlest with not old people(below 40), also I only talk about why I don't believe in god if someone asks or if they are trying to convert me, but to be honest that usually only happens on the internet...