Antitheists and hypocrisy (SORRY FOR MAKING A RELIGION THREAD)

atol

Jan 16, 2009
There's no atheist church. There's a stark difference between converting to another religion and converting to no religion.

bladeofdarkness

Aug 6, 2009
Lazier Than Thou said:
bladeofdarkness said:
one sided, but true
tell an atheist he is wrong about being an atheist - he's not really likely to be offended by it
I've told quite a few atheists they were wrong. I've been yelled at, called names, and had physical violence threatened.

Atheism isn't any different from theism. It's still emotional, it's still going to hurt when someone disagrees.
its fundamentally different from theism in its concept
atheism isnt a belief in anything
its mearly the absence of belief in something particular

and in the absence of any praticular belief, it is impossible to really be wrong
the only way you can "prove" atheists wrong is to prove that god exists
and so long as this cant be proven, there is no real arguemnt that tells atheists "you are wrong"

the people who yelled and treatened you were not doing it because they were atheists
they were doing it because they were ass-holes
which, sadly enough, exists in the world regardless of theological viewpoints

headshotcatcher said:
J0k3 said:
But what you are forgetting that most atheists won't change their beliefs anyway, they just discuss it ignorantly (not saying that theists would change their beliefs or that they don't have ignorant people though)
but they will discuss it freely
and without being offended by the discussion
far from it, most atheists i know would get more into the debate the more logical it is

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
headshotcatcher said:
sethzard said:
generally atheists have reached their conclusion logically whereas theist's beliefs are pure faith with no evidence to back it up, atheists try and convert people because they have some basis for not beleiving in god, or at least they feel that their is no reason for belief in god.
But WHY do they want to be right? Shouldn't it be more fun that "the joke is on them because they are blatant idiots who REALLY believe that?"

Just let Religious people be as long as they're happy and don't hurt people its okay
the problem is that without the "fan-base" as it were, the religious extreimists would have nothing to fear, the religious nutters would just be nutters.

MikeOfThunder

Jul 11, 2009
I'm i suppose what you would call athiest (Im not a fan of being called it really). My friend is actually a creationist... and we constantly have discussions trying to convince each other. Granted we eventually gave up! But yes i find the most religious people i know are hardcore athiests talking about it all more then any of my religious friends.

It is a very hypocritical world we live in... i agree.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
bodyklok said:
Stop grouping Atheists and anti-theists together.
This is a point I keep making every time I see one of these damn threads. We are not the same thing. Atheists do not follow a religion, anti-theists, well it's in the damn name. They are the ones against organised religion as a whole. Even if they call themselves atheists, you have to make the distinction because we do not all want to remove your religion. Most of us atheists don't care either way.

KiiWii

Feb 3, 2008
galletea said:
bodyklok said:
Stop grouping Atheists and anti-theists together.
This is a point I keep making every time I see one of these damn threads. We are not the same thing. Atheists do not follow a religion, anti-theists, well it's in the damn name. They are the ones against organised religion as a whole. Even if they call themselves atheists, you have to make the distinction because we do not all want to remove your religion. Most of us atheists don't care either way.
Exactly. Grouping Atheists and Anti-theists is like grouping heterosexual people and homophobes. xD

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
sethzard said:
headshotcatcher said:
sethzard said:
generally atheists have reached their conclusion logically whereas theist's beliefs are pure faith with no evidence to back it up, atheists try and convert people because they have some basis for not beleiving in god, or at least they feel that their is no reason for belief in god.
But WHY do they want to be right? Shouldn't it be more fun that "the joke is on them because they are blatant idiots who REALLY believe that?"

Just let Religious people be as long as they're happy and don't hurt people its okay
the problem is that without the "fan-base" as it were, the religious extreimists would have nothing to fear, the religious nutters would just be nutters.
But shouldn't you REASON with the people instead of scolding them for believing. If you preach individualism and thinking for yourself instead of 'follow us we're right they're wrong' people as a whole would benefit.

That is, when you think abstractly.

And as a general point, scolding someone for being a theist is like scolding someone for being a vegetarian. It's not BAD for themselves or for other people, maybe a bit harder for them but if they find inner peace because of it just let them do so. Don't get me wrong I eat meat but I don't scold or try to 'convert' vegetarians..

KaiRai

Jun 2, 2008
Everything you said is now irrelevant because I just read this page in cockney :)

Also, I agree with the first poster, there's a huge difference between atheists and anti-theists.

Galletea

Inexplicably Awesome
Sep 27, 2008
KiiWii said:
Exactly. Grouping Atheists and Anti-theists is like grouping heterosexual people and homophobes. xD
I like that analogy.

It's something that comes up every time one of these religion threads come along and it really gets on my nerves. :p

Lazier Than Thou

Jun 27, 2009
bladeofdarkness said:
Lazier Than Thou said:
bladeofdarkness said:
one sided, but true
tell an atheist he is wrong about being an atheist - he's not really likely to be offended by it
I've told quite a few atheists they were wrong. I've been yelled at, called names, and had physical violence threatened.

Atheism isn't any different from theism. It's still emotional, it's still going to hurt when someone disagrees.
its fundamentally different from theism in its concept
atheism isnt a belief in anything
its mearly the absence of belief in something particular
Atheism is the belief that there is no God. It isn't a lack of belief, it is an asserted belief of a lack of deity.

If you want to talk about lack of belief, you want to be talking about agnosticism.

Look for yourself:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/atheist

Zac_Dai

Oct 21, 2008
Become educated enough and it becomes rather hard to remain religious.

So you don't convert people to not believing in a deity. Instead what people who don't believe in deities do is try remove the veil of ignorance and hope that people come to the same realization themselves about religion.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
KaiRai said:
Everything you said is now irrelevant because I just read this page in cockney :)

Also, I agree with the first poster, there's a huge difference between atheists and anti-theists.
But that doesn't take away that anti-theists exist.. It's just like disregarding an entire post because he forgets to capitalize the 'i', I may have made a mistake but the rest of my post still stands!

Deity1986

Jul 29, 2009
You could argue that a lot of athiests try and force their beliefs onto other people just as some christians do. Once we get to the point where we can all turn around and say, "I don't care", the world will be a better place.

headshotcatcher

Feb 27, 2009
Zac_Dai said:
Become educated enough and it becomes rather hard to remain religious.

So you don't convert people to not believing in a deity. Instead what people who don't believe in deities do is try remove the veil of ignorance and hope that people come to the same realization themselves about religion.
There isn't a 'right' and a 'wrong' in religion like in many other situations. If I find more peace in believing in a god and heaven than believing in nothing and nothingness let me be. It just makes me a happier person overall AND it gives me a reason to stay moral!

bodyklok

Feb 17, 2008
galletea said:
Most of us atheists don't care either way.
That's basically me, I couldn't give a shit as long as it doesn't actually effect me and no one suffers or anything like that.
KiiWii said:
Or, like I said, grouping Christians who want to burn all gay people and Christians who just go to church.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
I don't try and convert people. I respect people's religion.

Even if I think it's a bunch of crap, I move on.

Aardvark Soup

Jul 22, 2008
You're generalising atheist as antitheists. Even though you see a lot of atheists on this forum taking any chance to bash religion that does not mean most nontheists are the same way. I, my family and most people I know are not religious but also don't see religion as a necessarily bad thing.

Of course the fact that atheists are a (often discriminated) minority in the US may cause American atheists to be more agressive about religion than Western European atheists.

Seanchaidh

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 21, 2009
Country
United States of America
headshotcatcher said:
Okay first of all as I said in the title, sorry for making a religion thread but I really need to get it off my chest.

You know them, or maybe even are one of them. Atheists. I am not one for one but I don't particularly despise them or any other religions for that matter.

Anyway a particular group of them always whine about how christian people always try to convert everyone and let's take my brother for example. He always says that as well and WHENEVER someone brings up religion he has a speech how all religion is bullshit and that atheism is the only way to go.

This is a trend I recognise on more people and is the irony lost on them?

They complain about how theists try to convert people into believing into the gods, wheras they use that argument to convince someone to be an atheist!

Is it just me or do more people notice this and could someone clear this up for me?
Well obviously it's fine to preach the truth. Just don't go forcing your false beliefs onto me.