Any 2nd person games

Professor James

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2010
I've played first and third person games; but I've never played or even heard of a 2nd person game. Do they even exist? And what exactly is 2nd person?

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
"You are in a maze of twisty little passages, all alike."

IFiction and Roguelikes do this a lot.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
First person = I, me, myself
Third person = He, his, her

Second person = You

When it comes to games, first person is supposed to be from the perspective of the main character (looking through the character's eyes), third person is from the perspective of a camera viewing the main character.

Second person.... I don't know how that would work, I suppose maybe "over the shoulder" like Resident Evil 4, could be considered second person.

Dec 14, 2009
Do you mean in terms of camera viewpoints?

Because I don't think a '2nd person camera' is actually possible.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
Wouldn't Zork be a 2nd person game? It's text based but it says things like "you come to a doorway" doesn't it? Or am I completely wrong here.

burningdragoon

Warrior without Weapons
Jul 27, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:

God of War 3 had a few brief moments of 2nd person perspective. I don't know how you could base a whole game around it though.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
I think that Yahtzee mentioned one, forget what it was called. It was some sort of horror game.

StBishop

Sep 22, 2009
Eclpsedragon said:
First person = I, me, myself
Third person = He, his, her

Second person = You

When it comes to games, first person is supposed to be from the perspective of the main character (looking through the character's eyes), third person is from the perspective of a camera viewing the main character.

Second person.... I don't know how that would work, I suppose maybe "over the shoulder" like Resident Evil 4, could be considered second person.
Nope, that's still third person.

Second person would be through the eyes of every other character except the character you're controlling.

So basically you control Lara Croft, but you see through the eyes of the tiger who she's shooting and you can't control it (other wise it would be come first person).

PotluckBrigand

No family dinner is safe.
Jul 30, 2008
Midgeamoo said:
Wouldn't Zork be a 2nd person game? It's text based but it says things like "you come to a doorway" doesn't it? Or am I completely wrong here.
I believe that is correct, at least by the dictionary definition of Second Person.

As far as the CAMERA is concerned... the only thing I could think of that would come close would be Real-Time Strategy games or SimCity... something like that? You're controlling your own view as opposed to someone else's.

It's a bit of a stretch, but it makes some sense to me.

direkiller

Dec 4, 2008
Professor James said:
I've played first and third person games; but I've never played or even heard of a 2nd person game. Do they even exist? And what exactly is 2nd person?

2nd person is from the perspective of a non controlled charter that is a charter in the game you interact with. So a floating camera is 3rd person(this includes the cloud cam in mario 64). as you can see this is rather hard to do.

MindJack and i think a few chase sections from Crash did it as well.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
So Disgaea Infinite? Your soul gets separated from it's body and you play the game possessing other people and see things from their perspective.

dessertmonkeyjk

Nov 5, 2010
I'm just goint to say it right now. LifeLine on the PS2. You are controling electronics onboard a space station in an emergency situation helping an undercover waiter escape. It's also voiced control mostly but it was slammed hard for poor voice recognition.

Here's a snippit:

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Using the cheats to hijack enemies in Shadow of the Empire is technically 2nd person if you think about it. You control a Wampa and can see Dash from its perspective while still being able to control Dash. Yeah, its some trippy shit.

-Drifter-

Jun 9, 2009
Daystar Clarion said:

It is. It's just seeing things from another character's perspective. For example, the chase scenes from Silent Hill: Downpour and that one Tomb Raider game who's name I forget. In both cases, you see your character through the eyes of their pursuer.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
erttheking said:
I think that Yahtzee mentioned one, forget what it was called. It was some sort of horror game.
You're referring to the Siren series on PS2 and PS3.
OT: The Siren series on PS2 and PS3 is pseudo-2nd person in its unique features I suppose, but it's not based entirely in 2nd person, as you control several characters from a 3rd person perspective.

zehydra

Oct 25, 2009
I think 2nd person camera would be a game where you control the first person view of somebody else who is watching. So it would be third person for you, but first person technically for them?

I dunno. I said nothing.

Shocksplicer

Apr 10, 2011
Judging by the examples so far, i'd say the answer is that there aren't many 2nd person games, and the ones that exist suck.

Sacman

Don't Bend! Ascend!
May 15, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:

They did it in Knockout Kings 2003... there was a mode where you can be in the opponents perspective so you can only see his fists being thrown from his perspective, whil still controlling your own guy...<.<