Any downside doing the daedric quests in Skyrim?

cloone8

Mar 29, 2011
Yep, just like the title sais, is there any downside to doing the daedric quests in Skyrim?
I mean the ones for the artifacts? Like that people will start hating me or something?
I already finished the main quests FYI.

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: And now we're at it, with which one should I start?
the second edit: How do i start the mehrunes dagon quest?, I need a key to enter the shrine

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Satsuki666 said:
I have done one so far. It had an amazing reward and I have yet to see any downside such as people hating me.
I doubt anyone would hate you for it. In universe, the Daedra aren't really evil (except for Dagoth Ur Mehrunes Dagon[footnote]Thank you @Hagi for pointing out the mistake.[/footnote]), and some of them -- for example, Azura -- are downright good. They're less "demons" and more gods that didn't really care enough about the world to take part in its creation. Where the Aedra (the 8 members of the 9 who aren't Tiber Septim) gave up part of their power to create the world, the Daedra are just as powerful as they ever were.

cloone8

Mar 29, 2011
Satsuki666 said:
I have done one so far. It had an amazing reward and I have yet to see any downside such as people hating me.
Ah thanks, for the help, my friend! I will refrain from trolling you! (+5 cookies)

cloone8

Mar 29, 2011
Owyn_Merrilin said:
Satsuki666 said:
I doubt anyone would hate you for it. In universe, the Daedra aren't really evil (except for Dagoth Ur), and some of them -- for example, Azura -- are downright good. They're less "demons" and more gods that didn't really care enough about the world to take part in its creation. Where the Aedra (the 8 members of the 9 who aren't Tiber Septim) gave up part of their power to create the world, the Daedra are just as powerful as they ever were.
Wow, I think you are actually right, didn't even think about that. I may have just created a daedric discussion page without knowing it!

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
so far, I did the Azura quest, which was fun, and no negative responses, yet.

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
I've only found one Daedric Shrine, and it was behind a locked door. But it was the shrine to Mehrunes Dagon. I was thinking, "There is no possible way that dealing with this fellow could go wrong".

The Abhorrent

May 7, 2011
So far I've only done two of the daedric quests, and one of them seems to had a minor effect on how people have reacted to me.

The first quest does have an immediate effect (plenty of accusations of "What the hell you were doing?" during the quest), but nothing really lasting. It's too much fun to spoil actually, but it starts off with a drinking quest in Windhelm... and you can probably just guess what happens next. However, there's one bit I think is rather funny:

Having done the other parts of the quest, I had finally gone to the castle where Sam was to rescue him... but I had died to a Fire Wizard and about five other lesser spell casters. Reloading my save, I decided to to make a bee-line for the wizard and made use of the sprinting shout to close the gap.

I missed and overshot my target, and ran straight into a portal I didn't realize was right in front of me.

So after the loading screen, I run towards the little party Sam was having only to find out he was Sanguine the whole time... AND my crazy (mis)adventures were all the result of what was a prank on colossal scale.

And then I get teleported back to the tavern in Windhelm where it all started, avoiding having to kill all those spellcasters (or die yet again trying to do so).

What.

The second daedric quest is the one which results in you getting the Mace of Molag Bal, which regrettably involves doing some less-than-noble actions (if being forced to do so). Anyhow, this one had a minor effect on NPCs around me; or at least one NPC.

A guard in Markath said "Keep that mace away from me." immediately after I finished the quest and got the mace. It could just be the standard "gear reaction" NPCs may give you in passing, much like those comments on the dwarven armour I was wearing for a while.

TheSaw

A flayed man holds no secrets.
Apr 22, 2011
I've done five so far.

Azura's, which had no real downside. The quest gives you two choices of rewards really which are
A black Azura's star, which can be used over and over again to contain HUMAN only souls, you get this by sided with the man, I forget his name. Or you can get a clensed Azura's star, which can only contain creatures souls, you get that one by siding with priest of Azura.

I've done Mehrunes Dagon, with no real downside except (in the spoiiler)
You are forced to choose to kill a man, and get the daedric artifact. Or let him live and only get some gold.

Molag Bal's quest has no downside as far as I remember.

Vaermina's quest
You have to choose to kill someone, and gain the Staff of Corruption, or let him live and gain him as a companion.

Meridia's quest also has no downside if I remember correctly.

If you want the Daedric artifacts achievement, you always must side with the daedric prince.
Most of the time as far I know, the thing you can't get isn't really much of value anyway.

Hagi

Apr 10, 2011
Owyn_Merrilin said:
In universe, the Daedra aren't really evil (except for Dagoth Ur)
Except you know.... Dagoth Ur is not a Daedra....

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
I stumbled into Sanguine's quest by accident, and it was pretty fun. No one seems to care one way or the other. But that may just be because Sanguine seems like a fun guy to have at a party.

EDIT: As I re-read the other comments, I should say that Sanguine's quest had no downside except for a challenging boss fight at the end. You get his staff no matter what.

cloone8

Mar 29, 2011
Wow, thanks to everyone who posted here, really helpful info! +1 cookie to all!

TheSaw

A flayed man holds no secrets.
Apr 22, 2011
J-Alfred said:
I stumbled into Sanguine's quest by accident, and it was pretty fun. No one seems to care one way or the other. But that may just be because Sanguine seems like a fun guy to have at a party.

EDIT: As I re-read the other comments, I should say that Sanguine's quest had no downside except for a challenging boss fight at the end. You get his staff no matter what.
How do you start that quest? Or where about is the shrine if you start it from there?
I'm trying to do all their quests, I've done 5 at the moment, and I've found a 6th but can't do that until I'm level 30.

Fieldy409_v1legacy

Oct 9, 2008
Just did sanguines quest the other day. It put a big smile on my face at the end!

I've done Azuras quest and I have Molag bals too to do.

I'm not sure but the vigilant of Stendarr might decide to come after you if you do too many daedric quests.

WolfThomas

Man must have a code.
Dec 21, 2007
Hagi said:
Glad someoe beat me to this. Dagoth Ur, Vivec, Sotha Sil and Almalexia weren't god, as such, just made immortal by the Heart of Lokan (spelling?).

Mar 26, 2008
I inadvertently got caught up in Hircine's quest and my memory from Oblivion must be scratchy because I just thought he was a lesser god. Then I got a message after finishing his quest about finishing a Daedric quest and I thought "WTF? A specteral deer doesn't seem too evil."

Seems I was operating under the premise that all Daedra are evil, when it turns out that some are merely indifferent. So far I've seen no down side.

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Hagi said:
Owyn_Merrilin said:
In universe, the Daedra aren't really evil (except for Dagoth Ur)
Oh, you're right. I was thinking of Mehrunes Dagon. Heck, for that matter I'm not even sure if "evil" is the right word for Dagoth Ur. He's a bit deeper than just "good" or "evil."

J-Alfred

Jul 28, 2009
TheSaw said:
J-Alfred said:

How do you start that quest? Or where about is the shrine if you start it from there?
I'm trying to do all their quests, I've done 5 at the moment, and I've found a 6th but can't do that until I'm level 30.
Head to the Bannered Mare and find a man in black robes named Sam. He'll challenge you to a drinking contest. Accept.

EDIT: And I should probably say that the "challenging" boss fight is probably only challenging because I suck at Skyrim. For the skilled Skyrim-er, it probably won't be too hard.