Any games where you liked the sequel more than the first?

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
Timesplitters 2 was better than the first, and Future Perfect better than that, IMO. Each MGS gets better too (let's not include the iphone game or the psp games (though I liked em) and just say MGS 1-4. Each one improved on what the first had started. Espionage, stealth, and conspiracy and such. Killzone easily got better. I liked the first, but it did have it's problems. Even if you were the guy that said "LOL FAIL Killzone isn't the Halo killer!" you can't deny that Killzone 2 fixed everything from the first and then turned the dial to 11.

Pegghead

Aug 4, 2009
Wow, seems like alot of people here are forgetting that there was a Team Fortress 1.

Well there's that as well as Half Life 2, Left 4 dead 2, Fallout 2 and 3.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
Super Mario Galaxy 2. Hopefully Portal 2 in the future, though I doubt it as of now.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
There are heaps! Lets see...

SSB Melee
Lineage 2 (Chronicles 1, 2 & 3)
Ocarina of Time (over previous Zelda's)
Super Metroid
Super Mario Brothers 3
Rock N Roll Racing 2
Mario Kart 64
Lylat Wars
Carmaggedon 2
Sonic 3
Diablo 2
Warcraft 3
Red Alert 2
Spectre Supreme
Descent 3

I'll be back to finish that list.

tombman888

Jul 12, 2009
Team Fortress 2
Kingdom Hearts 2
Battlefront 2
Saints Row 2

those are all games that i enjoyed the sequels more than the first.

brunothepig

May 18, 2009
You know, this isn't really as uncommon as in movies...
Half Life 2
Team Fortress 2
Assassins Creed 2
Timesplitters 2
God Of War (II or III)
Guitar Hero (3 or Metallica)
Super Smash Bros (Melee, then Brawl)
Call Of Duty (4, WaW, MW2 > 1)
Saints Row 2
GTA (usually improve with each instalment. Although who didn't hate all the "gangsters" in SA?)
Burnout 3
Dragonball Z Budokai etc. (Each one improved)
I reckon I'll stop there.
Sorry if you only meant direct sequels...

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Killzone 2 was quite fun while Killzone 1 was ASS! But Killzone 2 wasn't that good anyway.

Hmm really classic game where the prequel was just plain ass... hmmm... but not anything already mentioned like Team Fortress 2...

AH! Metal Gear Solid 3!

(on the caveat that it was MGS2 that was ass-foam while MGS1 was and is legendary. Kojima is nothing if not inconsistent when it comes to games quality)

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Metroid Prime 3
Halo ODST
Time Splitters 2
Warcraft 3 (particularly Frozen Throne)
Starcraft Brood war
Diablo 2
No More Heroes 2
COD4: MW2
Pokemon Silver & Soul Silver
Elder Scrolls: Oblivion
*edit: Ocarina of Time and Mario Kart 64 (can't believe I forgot those D:)

Thats all i can think of atm.

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
OF COURSE!

[HEADING=2]Metal Gear Solid![/HEADING]

It was a sequel to the MSX(2) and NES 'Metal Gear' and 'Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake' which were in actually fact pretty lame games even for the 8-16 bit era. But Metal Gear Solid for the Playstation and Later PC... that was an all time classic, one of the best and most influential games of all times... and a sequel of all things though a very distant one but HUGELY improved over predecessors.

BoosterGold

Jul 21, 2010
Treblaine said:
OF COURSE!

[HEADING=2]Metal Gear Solid![/HEADING]

It was a sequel to the MSX(2) and NES 'Metal Gear' and 'Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake' which were in actually fact pretty lame games even for the 8-16 bit era. But Metal Gear Solid for the Playstation and Later PC... that was an all time classic, one of the best and most influential games of all times... and a sequel of all things though a very distant one but HUGELY improved over predecessors.
You forgot SNAKES REVENGE

Bucht

Apr 22, 2010
Glamorgan said:
I was about to say Assassin's Creed 2, but I honestly don't think I can. I mean, yes, ACII is a better game. But if you have played the first one, you will remember that feeling that you get after sneaking into a heavily guarded fortress, pulling off an epic assassination, and escaping with half a city of guards chasing you. I remember one time, when I kept letting myself get seen by the guards, just after an assassination, for almost 45 minutes, just because it was so damn fun!
Sure, the second one was much better, but it was just way too easy. It just didn't give me that gut feeling of fun that the first one did.
So yes. ACII was better than the first one, but AC was more fun. Does that make any sense?
I feel exactly the same way about it as you do, AC II just didn't feel like a sequel to the game we fell in love with.

the_tramp

May 16, 2008
Chancie said:
I also liked Parasite Eve 2 more than the first one.
This, a million times. Although if even mention this on most sites you get your head ripped off by rabid fans. They're two completely different games but the first just seems way too linear whereas the second tends to reward exploration.