Any good artists want to help draw a Cowboy Bebop tattoo?

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
I've been planning on getting this tattoo done for years, but never had the time or money, and well now I do.

http://imgur.com/lrYHips
Here is a rough thing I did in paint real quick to get the gist of what I wanted, because I am a terrible terrible artist. It's pretty much "YOU'RE GONNA CARRY THAT WEIGHT" underlined with a swirling ship trails and the ship swordfish at the end. Of course it needs resizing, and no red background on the swirls but paint is terrible. That's the gist of it though, and if you think you can add anything that will make it look better that would be fantastic.

I was thinking about getting it on my right collar bone or my back right shoulder blade.

Lilikins

Jan 16, 2014
I can give it a shot if you want to thenoblitt :) I drew my own tattoo aswell (I find it much more personal if its drawn by oneself or a friend)

if you want me to try give me a headsup.

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
Lilikins said:
I can give it a shot if you want to thenoblitt :) I drew my own tattoo aswell (I find it much more personal if its drawn by oneself or a friend)

if you want me to try give me a headsup.
That'd be great! I literally draw like im in kindergarten, thats why I just used paint to copy and paste stuff together real quick :p I was hoping to get a couple of people to do it so I could get several different styles.

Lilikins

Jan 16, 2014
thenoblitt said:
That'd be great! I literally draw like im in kindergarten, thats why I just used paint to copy and paste stuff together real quick :p I was hoping to get a couple of people to do it so I could get several different styles.

Id be more then happy too hehe :) after all, having someones artwork imprinted on another persons body for eternity is quite the honor if I may say so myself. Nevertheless though, (because..well yeah a tattoo....) is there anything in your life that means alot to you that you'd also like to add to it? or 'just' that?

To be fully honest, Im sure theres quite a few artists here, and I mainly just draw for myself :) but maybe you'll find a specific motive for each and every one of us that draw it and can sorta make it a 'collage' of pictures, to be fairly honest I think thatd look amazing, especially if its like..10 artists working on one thing and each having thier own seperate style etc :)

Edit: Seems specific is a bit hard to spell for me ;o forgot the fi.....ah well...

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
Lilikins said:
thenoblitt said:

Id be more then happy too hehe :) after all, having someones artwork imprinted on another persons body for eternity is quite the honor if I may say so myself. Nevertheless though, (because..well yeah a tattoo....) is there anything in your life that means alot to you that you'd also like to add to it? or 'just' that?

To be fully honest, Im sure theres quite a few artists here, and I mainly just draw for myself :) but maybe you'll find a specic motive for each and every one of us that draw it and can sorta make it a 'collage' of pictures, to be fairly honest I think thatd look amazing, especially if its like..10 artists working on one thing and each having thier own seperate style etc :)
Nope, nothing particular I can think of adding to it.

Lilikins

Jan 16, 2014
kk :) Ill get to work right away for you then thenoblitt, lets see what I can come up with hehe

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
thenoblitt said:
Nobody else?
There's a piece of advice that's often given to artists: If you're good enough at something that you think you could make a living off it never do it for free.

I don't think you'd want your tattoo drawn by someone who isn't a very good artist, and very good artists don't waste their time making free things for people. If you want someone to draw something specific for you maybe you should commission it.

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
How much is the tattooing going to cost? Setting aside an extra twenty for Lilikins wouldn't make much of a dent, would it?

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
*sigh* Alright, I'll bite, here's the thing. I've done tattoo portfolios before, and you're going into this so blind that what you've actually asked is "draw me this imaginary animal I'm thinking of, but I won't tell you what it is". Dude, how many colors are you using? Where are you trying to put it? How much space is it going to cover ( because aspect ratio is a thing, and if I was to draw it for your shin, it's not going to stretch to cover your back.) Do you know where you're getting it, and if they are good at free hand, or if I need to build this in layers so they could stencil it?

You're going to be stuck with this decision for life. Do not skimp on saving up to do this right, and damn well get your design done professionally. Bleed over could have that ship look like an x-wing if you don't.

A decent tattoo can cost upwards of $300 bucks for a good, crisp design, but we're not even getting to the best part. I don't own Cowboy Bebop, I wish I did, but I don't. And most artists that do this professionally usually tries staying away from work that seems harmless but could get them in trouble. Not really worth it in the long run.

Oh, OH. Also download Gimp. It's better then paint in every way, has online tutorials to help get started and is free.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
thenoblitt said:
Nobody else?
You would get more bites if you offered to pay an artist to design your tattoo, but as Armadox above says, it's copyrighted material regardless and that can cause issues.

But if you're looking to get an artist to design anything for you, I beg of you, please offer to pay them, if they want to do it for free after you offer, that's their decision, but even internet artists have bills to pay and it really sucks when people expect them to do work for free *Just to get their name out there*, *For the love of the art!*, *Insert whatever other reason here*.

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
Armadox said:
*sigh* Alright, I'll bite, here's the thing. I've done tattoo portfolios before, and you're going into this so blind that what you've actually asked is "draw me this imaginary animal I'm thinking of, but I won't tell you what it is". Dude, how many colors are you using? Where are you trying to put it? How much space is it going to cover ( because aspect ratio is a thing, and if I was to draw it for your shin, it's not going to stretch to cover your back.) Do you know where you're getting it, and if they are good at free hand, or if I need to build this in layers so they could stencil it?

You're going to be stuck with this decision for life. Do not skimp on saving up to do this right, and damn well get your design done professionally. Bleed over could have that ship look like an x-wing if you don't.

A decent tattoo can cost upwards of $300 bucks for a good, crisp design, but we're not even getting to the best part. I don't own Cowboy Bebop, I wish I did, but I don't. And most artists that do this professionally usually tries staying away from work that seems harmless but could get them in trouble. Not really worth it in the long run.

Oh, OH. Also download Gimp. It's better then paint in every way, has online tutorials to help get started and is free.

What?
"You're going into this so blind that what you've actually asked is "draw me this imaginary animal I'm thinking of, but I won't tell you what it is"

I literally posted a picture on my first post of what I wanted to get but couldn't draw so its a shitty paint mock up, and I also said where I was putting it on my original post.

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
Eclipse Dragon said:
thenoblitt said:
Nobody else?
You would get more bites if you offered to pay an artist to design your tattoo, but as Armadox above says, it's copyrighted material regardless and that can cause issues.

But if you're looking to get an artist to design anything for you, I beg of you, please offer to pay them, if they want to do it for free after you offer, that's their decision, but even internet artists have bills to pay and it really sucks when people expect them to do work for free *Just to get their name out there*, *For the love of the art!*, *Insert whatever other reason here*.
Apparently I should have just gone to a /v/ draw thread, the escapist apparently has a problem drawing shit for people.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
thenoblitt said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
thenoblitt said:
Nobody else?

Apparently I should have just gone to a /v/ draw thread, the escapist apparently has a problem drawing shit for people.
For free yes. The Escapist has many extremely talented artists and just as many people who commission and pay for those artists to do work. Even a person without much to offer[footnote]this site's population of 20 somethings isn't exactly rolling in cash[/footnote] can find someone willing to work with them.

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
Eclipse Dragon said:
thenoblitt said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
thenoblitt said:
Nobody else?

For free yes. The Escapist has many extremely talented artists and just as many people who commission and pay for those artists to do work. Even a person without much to offer[footnote]this site's population of 20 somethings isn't exactly rolling in cash[/footnote] can find someone willing to work with them.
Then don't do it? I asked if someone would like to help, if you don't want to help then thats that.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
thenoblitt said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
thenoblitt said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
thenoblitt said:
Nobody else?

Then don't do it? I asked if someone would like to help, if you don't want to help then thats that.
Eclipse does want to help -- which is why she's here in the first place -- but like a lot of artists, Eclipse also needs money. Check out the Creative Society - it's got a few artists who'd probably be more than willing to help you out. People will probably be delighted to do you a few sketches developing on the ideas you've got, but whoever you decide to ask for help, bear in mind that you'll probably have to fork some greenbacks over if you want the help of a really good artist. It's a tattoo, anyway, which is usually something that you usually expect people to put a good deal of time and thought into - the better the design, the more time it will likely take and the more it will likely cost.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
thenoblitt said:
Armadox said:

What?
"You're going into this so blind that what you've actually asked is "draw me this imaginary animal I'm thinking of, but I won't tell you what it is"

I literally posted a picture on my first post of what I wanted to get but couldn't draw so its a shitty paint mock up, and I also said where I was putting it on my original post.
Yes, you drew an awful mock up that looks ok on a monitor, but a tattoo is way different, and what your asking might not be what you actually want. Also saying where you want it in an offhand is pointless! A collarbone could be 6" to 8" and some designs aren't made to stretch or skew. Also, you better be and stay a skinny, skinny man or that tattoo is going to mean something very different to anyone who sees it.

I just thought about it when I got to work, and there's a few other things I'd suggest mentioning too. Like color harmony and the fact that red and black have so little contrast that your mock up would just turn into a red blemish at any distance ( 4" letters have a readability distance of 100ft, with good conditions). What color skin has an effect on this too (darker skin has a hard time with red to begin with), as red tends to break up or be absorbed by the body so it's really not the color I'd suggest, either doing flat black outlines or maybe a tiny bit of red with a spacer between the black for contrast (left blank or white, though again, it could absorb or end up with desaturation).

Isn't that Times New Roman? A good tattooist can do it, but if you're working this on the cheap, go with a san-sarif font, like Highway or Lucida Console. Especially Lucida Console, as every letter has the same weight and size.

Also, a word of warning, a tattoo artist has absolutely NO moral requirements to make what you want look good. You come to him with garbage wanting something cheap, he'll put it on you regardless of how awful it looks. That is on you, literally, to not just find a design you want and believe in but also to make sure that design has been designed for a tattooist in mind. You might think of this as a great idea now, but I would refrain from getting a tattoo anywhere that you can't easily cover up in public and/or getting a tattoo based on a television show you liked once. Dude, Cowboy Bebop is cool, but it's not even that popular in Japan. In ten years you might have to spend your time explaining your tattoo to everyone who sees it making it kinda meaningless. Like those damn tribal designs or Kanji.

Really give this some thought, and really think about this decision and if this represents you actually. Otherwise it's not cheap to correct.

thenoblitt said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
thenoblitt said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
thenoblitt said:
Nobody else?

*sighs and rubs between his eyes* That isn't the attitude I would suggest using when trying to get free labor, and you've lost a lot of steam right there just because of it. I do a lot of work pro bono public, usually if there is a good cause, or I feel it worth it and could have considered this. It really would be a few minutes worth of effort to make a small neck tattoo. But when Eclipse Dragon mentioned maybe putting out a bit of cash in good faith, you turned your back on the board. Yes, I suggest paddling your canoe elsewhere if this is how you feel. Your wanting an artist who has the skills able to not leave you with a lifetime reminder of a shitty decision to stop what they're doing in order to make you a custom design for free using someone else's art. There is literally no gain for the artist in question save maybe fulfilling a request made in good faith, and even that is not there.

I make $60.00 an hour or better on custom work, that tattoo design at six inches should cost you around $120 for the art alone. And getting it put on will be another $150 or better.

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
Barbas said:
thenoblitt said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
thenoblitt said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
thenoblitt said:
Nobody else?

Eclipse does want to help -- which is why she's here in the first place -- but like a lot of artists, Eclipse also needs money. Check out the Creative Society - it's got a few artists who'd probably be more than willing to help you out. People will probably be delighted to do you a few sketches developing on the ideas you've got, but whoever you decide to ask for help, bear in mind that you'll probably have to fork some greenbacks over if you want the help of a really good artist. It's a tattoo, anyway, which is usually something that you usually expect people to put a good deal of time and thought into - the better the design, the more time it will likely take and the more it will likely cost.
I've had this Tattoo planned for 3-4 years now, I just really really suck at drawing, so yes I have put a good amount of time and thought into it. Since I can't draw very well, I made a crappy paint mock up, of essentially what I want, because I am not a good enough artist to do it by hand.

thenoblitt

May 7, 2009
Armadox said:
thenoblitt said:
Armadox said:

What?

Yes, you drew an awful mock up that looks ok on a monitor, but a tattoo is way different, and what your asking might not be what you actually want. Also saying where you want it in an offhand is pointless! A collarbone could be 6" to 8" and some designs aren't made to stretch or skew.

I just thought about it when I got to work, and there's a few other things I'd suggest mentioning too. Like color harmony and the fact that red and black have so little contrast that your mock up would just turn into a red blemish at any distance ( 4" letters have a readability distance of 100ft, with good conditions). What color skin has an effect on this too (darker skin has a hard time with red to begin with), as red tends to break up or be absorbed by the body so it's really not the color I'd suggest, either doing flat black outlines or maybe a tiny bit of red with a spacer between the black for contrast (left blank or white, though again, it could absorb or end up with desaturation).

Isn't that Times New Roman? A good tattooist can do it, but if you're working this on the cheap, go with a san-sarif font, like Highway or Lucida Console. Especially Lucida Console, as every letter has the same weight and size.

Also, a word of warning, a tattoo artist has absolutely NO moral requirements to make what you want look good. You come to him with garbage wanting something cheap, he'll put it on you regardless of how awful it looks. That is on you, literally, to not just find a design you want and believe in but also to make sure that design has been designed for a tattooist in mind. You might think of this as a great idea now, but I would refrain from getting a tattoo anywhere that you can't easily cover up in public and/or getting a tattoo based on a television show you liked once. Dude, Cowboy Bebop is cool, but it's not even that popular in Japan. In ten years you might have to spend your time explaining your tattoo to everyone who sees it making it kinda meaningless. Like those damn tribal designs or Kanji.

Really give this some thought, and really think about this decision and if this represents you actually. Otherwise it's not cheap to correct.

thenoblitt said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
thenoblitt said:
Eclipse Dragon said:
thenoblitt said:
Nobody else?

*sighs and rubs between his eyes* That isn't the attitude I would suggest using when trying to get free labor, and you've lost a lot of steam right there just because of it. I do a lot of work pro bono public, usually if there is a good cause, or I feel it worth it and could have considered this. It really would be a few minutes worth of effort to make a small neck tattoo. But when Eclipse Dragon mentioned maybe putting out a bit of cash in good faith, you turned your back on the board. Yes, I suggest paddling your canoe elsewhere if this is how you feel. Your wanting an artist who has the skills able to not leave you with a lifetime reminder of a shitty decision to stop what they're doing in order to make you a custom design for free using someone else's art. There is literally no gain for the artist in question save maybe fulfilling a request made in good faith, and even that is not there.

I make $60.00 an hour or better on custom work, that tattoo design at six inches should cost you around $120 for the art alone. And getting it put on will be another $150 or better.
Like I said, I've thought about this tattoo quite a bit, yeah its anime, yeah its not popular anymore, but its a show that means a lot to me and helped me through shit. If it didn't I wouldn't get a tattoo of it. So please stop with the condescending remarks because you personally think its a stupid tattoo. 2nd I have money for a tattoo, I have no qualms about that. I understand people should be paid for their work, absolutely agree with it. Maybe I'm just spoiled by /v/ draw threads where money is never even mentioned, sorry if you found that distasteful or rude. And yes It is Times New Roman because its the closest looking font to the show http://www.wallchan.com/images/sandbox/80158-youre-gonna-carry-that-weight.png

*Edit: and I don't care if people don't get it and I have to explain it, its not for other people, its something for me.

Armadox

Mandatory Madness!
Aug 31, 2010
thenoblitt said:
Like I said, I've thought about this tattoo quite a bit, yeah its anime, yeah its not popular anymore, but its a show that means a lot to me and helped me through shit. If it didn't I wouldn't get a tattoo of it. So please stop with the condescending remarks because you personally think its a stupid tattoo. 2nd I have money for a tattoo, I have no qualms about that. I understand people should be paid for their work, absolutely agree with it. Maybe I'm just spoiled by /v/ draw threads where money is never even mentioned, sorry if you found that distasteful or rude.
It's not condescension that backs up my remarks man, it's trying to help you dial in what you actually want. Everything I've said is to keep you from just accepting the first thing that comes along and also to keep yourself and the artist out of as much hot water as it'll allow. I don't think the idea is stupid, I've drawn some stupid tattoos before for the right money. I'm just saying it needs to be designed right and with tattooing in mind. You can't just use any image and think it'll be fine. Size and scale are needed, color values.. This isn't really an amateur request..

Also, YES /v/ boards are actually a thorn in a professional's side. You know how much business I'd lost to clip art when it became mainstream? /v/ is taking advantage of those learning more often then not, and since it's never characters they own, they can't sell it anyways.