Any Good Co-op PC Games?

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
I've searched around through the forum and have found a few games, but none really seem to suit my friend and I. Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone knew of any co-op games that you can play online whether they're flash games or downloadable (low price or free) that can be played with only two people. Even some non-anime-ish or kiddy-ish looking MMOs are good enough (but those have to be free).

My friend, she likes games like The Sims, racing, and seems more into exploration and customization than action (and she doesn't like shooters very much). I'm pretty much okay with anything besides strategy games.

Any help with this would be good, we tried looking at D&D Online and Star Wars: The Old Republic, but the file sizes are huge and she doesn't get that great internet connections at times of the day so downloading stuff takes a long time and she's kind of impatient... Something akin to Diablo 3 or Torchlight would be awesome.

Tldr: I need some free or cheap co-op or non-anime-looking MMO games to play with my friend. No strategy or shooter games.

Computer specs:
Windows 7 Pro
8GB RAM for me and 4GB for her
Intel Graphics HD 3000
Intel Core i3 CPU 2.40Mhz; I don't know hers, but it's 2.60Mhz

Also, thanks. :)

Bravo Company

Feb 21, 2010
Hmm, you could try magicka, it's a pretty fun game that's not a shooter. I have a friend that only enjoys MMOs and she loves magicka.

You could try orcs must die (2?) I haven't played it but it seems like it should meet your requirements.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Bravo Company said:
Hmm, you could try magicka, it's a pretty fun game that's not a shooter. I have a friend that only enjoys MMOs and she loves magicka.
YES! Magicka. Go. Get it. It's 50% off on Steam, and it's incredibly awesome.

Also, you can check here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.396082-Good-coop-suggestions-for-more-than-2-people] - although not exactly what you specified, it's still for coop games, so you might come across something. Minecraft, for example, could be quite fun.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
Thanks, I have Titan's Quest already downloaded (from a Humble Bundle), I didn't know that it was co-op. And I will check Magicka out.

Somonah said:
Magicka or Titan's Quest

That onboard graphics card is going to limit it alot.
It's not so bad.. It can run Sims 3, The Witcher, and a bunch of other no-so-demanding games well. I mainly use my 360 to play games anyway--but my friend doesn't have one.

Cavan

Jan 17, 2011
magicka will not run on an intergrated graphics card, it will flat out refuse to work.
official post:
Q: Why cant I play Magicka on my laptop?
A: Most likely because Your IGP isn't good enough to run Magicka. Very few IGPs are good enough. Especially Intel Graphics Cards have very poor performance and can't handle Magicka.

Take another close look at the minimum requirements regarding graphic cards:
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon® X1900

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Here's what I've currently got on my Steam List that's Co-op and installed. Take a look at them...

Company of Heroes.
Saints Row (Any installment.)
Day Z (ARMAII Operation ArrowHead)
Minecraft
Nation Red
Natural Selection 2 (Teamstacking! Woooo~)
PAYDAY: The Heist
PlanetSide 2
Sanctum
Sol Survivor
Spiral Knights
Team Fortress 2 (Team Staaaaaaaackx~!)

After going up and looking at your Graphics chip, I've bolded the ones I think would be best for you to look into. Any non-bold games, buy at your own risk!

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
Torchlight 2 ;p, and path of exile when it comes out looks like it should be pretty good. Dead Island as well, but I think later on it becomes much more gun based, never got that far though.

Edit: Also Guild Wars 2, but that may be a bit expensive, it doesn't have a continous subscribtion though.

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
Cavan said:
magicka will not run on an intergrated graphics card, it will flat out refuse to work.
official post:
Q: Why cant I play Magicka on my laptop?
A: Most likely because Your IGP isn't good enough to run Magicka. Very few IGPs are good enough. Especially Intel Graphics Cards have very poor performance and can't handle Magicka.

Take another close look at the minimum requirements regarding graphic cards:
Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce 8800 or ATI Radeon® X1900
I noticed that when I got the demo--thanks!

BeerTent said:
Minecraft
That's what I've had my eye on, but she doesn't like that..sadly.

Daymo said:
Torchlight 2 ;p, and path of exile when it comes out looks like it should be pretty good. Dead Island as well, but I think later on it becomes much more gun based, never got that far though.

Edit: Also Guild Wars 2, but that may be a bit expensive, it doesn't have a continous subscribtion though.
I'm thinking Torchlight 2, but I'll have to convince her to get the demo and try it out. It doesn't seem complex or anything. Guild Wars 2 would be awesome, but we don't spend much on games and the price a tab bit high--even if there's no fee. But thanks--I forgot there was a Torchlight 2.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I always use this site to check out good co-ops. So far they've paid off nicely.

http://www.co-optimus.com/system/4/pc.html

Apr 5, 2008
Splinter Cell: Conviction is great, and so is it's predecessor, Chaos Theory. - Currently on sale on Steam
Saints Row 3 is a fantastic sandbox full of fun and is even better multiplayer. Highly recommended, you will have a fantastic time with this one.
Resident Evil 5 is pretty good fun too. - £6.99 on Steam right now.
Borderlands is good (haven't tried 2 yet) but there's a lot of downtime in the fun. If you do want to have a go with this one, I wouldn't mind being a 3rd player and it supports up to four :) Just saying, it's fun and I play a mean Lillith.
Neverwinter Nights 2 - Classic D&D action but with a friend! Very slow start, but once you're warmed up it gets very good.

Don't forget there are online shooters too, like L4D2, Payday: The Heist, both alright.
And there're plenty of F2P MMOs you might consider, roll same faction/complimentary skills for a lot of fun. I'm currently enjoying the Secret World with a friend, it's pretty cool :)

Slash Dementia

Apr 6, 2009
Lots of great ideas, but I think we have settled on Orcs Must Die 2 and Need for Speed World.
Johnny Novgorod said:
I always use this site to check out good co-ops. So far they've paid off nicely.

http://www.co-optimus.com/system/4/pc.html
And thanks, this is/was awfully helpful!

Matt Dellar

Jun 26, 2011
Dungeon Defenders is quite good, especially with all the DLC bundled in as it is in the current Humble Bundle (system requirements aren't too high-it runs on consoles, after all). It's one of the only split screen PC games I've seen in my entire life, and it wins a big plus in my books for that.

VladG

Aug 24, 2010
Bonkheads. Old 2 player coop platformer with a twist. Very simple mechanics but man does it get challenging. Lots of fun levels and best of all: you can get it free. http://www.old-games.com/download/1854/bonkheads

BoredAussieGamer

Aug 7, 2011
Terraria. If you can get a LAN server to work, it's a lot of fun. It's also possibly the least demanding game listed so far.

Tanakh

Jul 8, 2011
Slash Dementia said:
Local Co-op or online?

Things i didn't saw mentioned yet:

For local few things are better than trine and it should fit your friend tastes. I love also jamestown, but not sure she will.

For online co-op trine 2 or portal 2 are just almost perfect. Also WoW, it's a huge DL so might not fit you, but even now playing it with a friend it's a blast.

romanator0

Jun 3, 2011
Do you guys have Portal 2? That's a decent co-op game and Valve recently added co-op functionality to the mapmaker, it's also only $10 on steam right now and might even go lower during the sale.

The Escapist even has a thread for Portal 2 custom maps.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.375017-Escapist-Testing-Initiative-Portal-2-Custom-Map-Archive-Challenge-Circuit

Quazimofo

Aug 30, 2010
if you cant do minecraft, terraria maybe? its more focused on the adventuring part than minecraft, and is a more manageable world (since there is a flat border on either extreme of the 2d map)

Edit:

Frozen synapse is another good one. like chess, but you can simulate your moves rather than plan in your mind, and its a smack more complex, but good fun when you learn what all the buttons do.

Nuclear_Suspect

Jun 1, 2010
I'll second Dungeon Defenders (A coop tower defence and hack'n'slash RPG) and Terraria (Which is basicly Minecraft meets action platformer)

And Saints Row 3, despite people whining over it NOT being Saints Row 2