Any good game/general geek sites that dont moan about sexism/racism/homophobia?

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I want news about games/movies/comics, I don't give a shit about whether or not something is 'problematic'.

Are there any major sites that keep this shit out of their reviews, previews and basic discussions? I don't want to give ad revenue to any company that thinks these things are relevant in the discussion of video games, tv shows or comics or whatever.

SonicWaffle

Oct 14, 2009
Genocidicles said:
I want news about games/movies/comics, I don't give a shit about whether or not something is 'problematic'.

Are there any major sites that keep this shit out of their reviews, previews and basic discussions? I don't want to give ad revenue to any company that thinks these things are relevant in the discussion of video games, tv shows or comics or whatever.
Not until we invent article-writing robots incapable of considering anything outside of a very narrow set of guidelines.

Probably better to find somewhere that aligns with your biases than chase the impossible dream of a site that attempts to separate culture from...well, culture.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
How many reviews of games even talk about that stuff often? The Escapist review staff themselves rarely talk about it. I mean, is it really that hard to just ignore discussions you honestly don't care about?

What can I tell you? IGN? Gamespot? Every website has a team of reviewers, and each reviewer will have a variety of opinions. Some of which will align with the more liberal side of gaming. You don't have to read them, and you don't have to give that writer clicks.

I don't understand why the concept of read what you like is so difficult to the point where people are refusing to give online traffic to a site simply because one or two people on staff have opinions you personally feel has no relevance to you.

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
Because it's so hard not clicking on those things, isn't it.

If you want reviews that are free of the reviewer's dirty opinions, then you want reviews written by robots, not by people.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
IceForce said:
Because it's so hard not clicking on those things, isn't it.

If you want reviews that are free of the reviewer's dirty opinions, then you want reviews written by robots, not by people.
Perhaps Wikipedia should take up the gaming review business. Nothing but the cold, boring facts. When it was developed, who developed it, summary of the story, and an aggregate review score. You can't get closer to robotic and unobjective as that!

CitizenM

Oct 16, 2014
We could travel back in time to popular culture 20 years ago when bitches, blacks and gays apparently didn't exist, lol :)

VanQ

Casual Plebeian
Oct 23, 2009
I think the only place where you'll get honest opinions on games where people don't give a shit about muh soggy knees would be any one of the many chans. Though they don't have "reviews" per say, there's no shortage of honest opinions from anonymous posters. I often hear news from the chans days before I see them appear on any actual news site too. Not always, but they regularly beat most publications to the punch.

The downside though is that you have to wade through trolls, be prepared to grow a thick skin and learn to spot bullshit when you see it. Which isn't as easy for some as others.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Dragonbums said:
How many reviews of games even talk about that stuff often? The Escapist review staff themselves rarely talk about it. I mean, is it really that hard to just ignore discussions you honestly don't care about?

What can I tell you? IGN? Gamespot? Every website has a team of reviewers, and each reviewer will have a variety of opinions. Some of which will align with the more liberal side of gaming. You don't have to read them, and you don't have to give that writer clicks.

I don't understand why the concept of read what you like is so difficult to the point where people are refusing to give online traffic to a site simply because one or two people on staff have opinions you personally feel has no relevance to you.
Well usually when a site reviews a game, only one member of the site reviews of it. So if a game I'm interested in gets reviewed by the resident feminist instead of a reviewer who's opinion I actually care about, I'll have to go to a different site instead.

And y'know, a lot of these reviews don't explicitly say that the game is sexist/racist in the title. So I cant ignore it, and by the time I find out the reviewer docked points for something irrelevant, I've already given them ad-revenue. Random articles titled "GTA V is sexist' I can ignore. I can see it's an article about something pointless. Something titled 'GTA V Review'? How am I supposed to know they'll bring up pointless bullshit about how it 'exploits women'?

VanQ said:
I think the only place where you'll get honest opinions on games where people don't give a shit about muh soggy knees would be any one of the many chans. Though they don't have "reviews" per say, there's no shortage of honest opinions from anonymous posters. I often hear news from the chans days before I see them appear on any actual news site too. Not always, but they regularly beat most publications to the punch.

The downside though is that you have to wade through trolls, be prepared to grow a thick skin and learn to spot bullshit when you see it. Which isn't as easy for some as others.
Yeah this is what I usually go with. But if I hated every game that /v/ did then I would have missed out on a lot of good stuff.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Genocidicles said:
Well usually when a site reviews a game, only one member of the site reviews of it. So if a game I'm interested in gets reviewed by the resident feminist instead of a reviewer who's opinion I actually care about, I'll have to go to a different site instead.
And this is abnormal how?

And y'know, a lot of these reviews don't explicitly say that the game is sexist/racist in the title.
Probably because that point makes up only a small portion of what is ultimately an overall review of the game. Unless of course the whole core of the game revolves around sexism or racism.

So I cant ignore it, and by the time I find out the reviewer docked points for something irrelevant, I've already given them ad-revenue. Random articles titled "GTA V is sexist' I can ignore. I can see it's an article about something pointless. Something titled 'GTA V Review'? How am I supposed to know they'll bring up pointless bullshit about how it 'exploits women'?
It really shows how intolerant you are if the very fact that a reviewer brings up a point(s) you personally don't care about is enough to piss all over your day and get you into rage.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
Dragonbums said:
It really shows how intolerant you are if the very fact that a reviewer brings up a point(s) you personally don't care about is enough to piss all over your day and get you into rage.
By giving them ad revenue, I am giving them money. The more money they make, the more likely their brand of bullshit will pop up in other reviews, the less likely that reviews will talk about the important stuff.

I'm of the opinion that a review should stick to telling people whether or not the product is worth their time and money. If a review wastes time talking about how progressive or regressive something is instead of the important stuff like gameplay, then how am I going to know whether or not it's worth my time and money?

I'm not saying that people can't listen to idiots babble on about how the difficulty icons in Wolfenstein promote sexism or whatever, I'm just asking if there is a website I can go to that keeps that crap out of their reviews.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
MarsAtlas said:
Perhaps this site is a good fit.

http://www.objectivegamereviews.com/

Here's an example.

"Counter-Strike: Global Offensive is a first person shooter in which players attempt to accomplish the objective of the game mode by killing enemy players, planting bombs, or getting kills with a succession of weapons. In round-based game modes, players begin each round by purchasing equipment with money earned in previous rounds. Various weapons are available to players and the various maps have different routes the players can use to reach the objectives.

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive features eleven pistols, six shotguns, eight submachine guns, eleven assault rifles, six sniper rifles, two machine guns, a knife, six kinds of grenades, six pieces of equipment, four game modes, fourteen standard maps in competitive matches, and an integrated matchmaking system, tournament viewing system, statistics tracking system with leaderboards, and inventory system that allows the player to collect weapon skins and other items that result in cosmetic alterations and no gameplay alterations."

http://www.objectivegamereviews.com/counterstrike-go-review/

What a phenomenal begin to an amazing, 100% objective review. I would have never been able to form my opinion about the game if not presented with these incredibly objective facts in such an objective manner.
I obviously want people's opinions on games. I just don't want the opinions of people who discuss pointless bullshit in their reviews.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
MarsAtlas said:
Fixed that for you.
But it is pointless bullshit. Does a game's 'problematic' portrayal of women somehow make the gunplay bad or something?

Well then, I recommend you spend some time doing what I've done, which is finding reviewers who have reliable opinions, and contrasting your opinions from their opinions. Just know why they like or dislike a game, and know what that means for you.
Which is the reason why I made this thread... I'm asking for a recommendation. I would prefer a website that sticks with the important stuff in a review, but a singular reviewer (unattached to a website) would be fine.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
IGN tends to avoid cultural stuff, gametrailers also tends to be sparse on cultural opinion pieces from what I've seen, GameInformer keeps the more controversial pieces mostly relegated to its interviews and a couple pages towards the front and only on rare occasions as its mostly interviews with game devs.

Pretty much any industry is going to tackle cultural opinions at some point though, especially since they have been a major source of news in the industry recently, from fans, devs, and even publishers, when developers talks about fighting against a publisher to get a female main character on the games cover, or to get female play testers in their focus group, it would be kind of disingenuous to expect the news media to just ignore it.

As far as reviews go, 99%+ of reviews never make mention of any of the things you seem to take issue with, so pretty much all the major sites and reviewers are open to you, the reviews like polygon's Bayonetta review or their GTA V review are a massively miniscule minority, and most of those reviews are coming out of 1 or 2 sites, so you should be fine if you just avoid Polygon and RPS, I've yet to see a single thing you seem to take issue with brought up in an IGN or Gameinformer review.

If you honestly can't deal with a site even just talking about it on only the biggest occasions, like the once in a blue moon that IGN brings up controversies in the industry, then I can't really help you there other than to tell you not to get so worked up over it, it's not really worth it to go through life being so easily offended at everything.

San Martin

Jun 21, 2013
As a matter of fact I do have several good recommendations, but based on the silly things you've said so far I'm not really convinced you deserve them. Maybe if you can give a single good reason why discussions of racism, sexism and homophobia are "pointless bullshit" in the context of videogames, then I'll change my mind, like the benevolent review dispensing deity that I am.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
San Martin said:
Maybe if you can give a single good reason why discussions of racism, sexism and homophobia are "pointless bullshit" in the context of videogames,
Because racism, sexism and homophobia have no effect on the gameplay, which is the most important part of a video game.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Genocidicles said:
San Martin said:
Maybe if you can give a single good reason why discussions of racism, sexism and homophobia are "pointless bullshit" in the context of videogames,
Because racism, sexism or homophobia has no effect on the gameplay, which is the most important part of a video game.
And the actual paint is the most important part of a painting. Without it, you have a blank canvas.

That doesn't mean all the other stuff that goes into a painting isn't important.