Any Hearthstone players? Want to discuss some stuff?

Spambot 3000

Aug 8, 2011
Yeah I was just bored and wondering if there was anyone else here who wanted to discuss or share their time spent on Hearthstone, mainly:
1. What do you think of the Buzzard nerf?
2. Did you dust your Leeroy (if you had one)?
3. How do you feel about the upcoming card expansion, whenever that's supposed to be happening?
4. How have things been in general?

Orange12345

Aug 11, 2011
1. I don't like it mainly because buzzard is now a turn 8 play with UTH or 7 with snake trap or you just dont play it, with 2 health it will get sniped the second it comes out even on turn 4 with coin the opponent will have 5 mana to play with no class has that much trouble coming up with 2 dmg on turn 5. I am not saying it was perfect before but at least you had some there were some ways to play the thing without UTH or snake trap, now it is a totally combo reliant card if you don't have UTH or ST dont play it. I am thinking more and more that hunter needs a rework

2. dont have one

3. can't fucking wait

4. pretty good naxx has added some much needed fresh air into the game, but I am pretty concerned that a few of the naxx cards are op against newer players which might hurt the game in the long run

leberkaese

May 16, 2014
1. As someone that doesn't play hunter: It was just too overpowered to throw in Starving Buzzard, Unleash the Hounds and maybe a Scavenging Hyena during one single turn.
But on the other hand I don't see that many Hunter decks using this at the rank I'm usually at (~10). So... I don't really care

2. This change is not too extreme. If I had one I'd probably dust Leeroy to buy another Legendary

3. They need to add cards a lot quicker, Naxxramas took too long.
Also how they handled things with Naxxramas... didn't like it. First few wings have been fun, but at one point I lost motivation to play through the content. But you had to do it for the cards, though. So I'm glad that they add a new kind of booster pack.

4. I'm having my fun by regulary doing my daily quests every 3 days while ranking. The last few months I'm always at Rank 10 or 11 at the end. I'm missing one or two good legendaries to get my control druid deck to a decent state.
Hearthstone is still a good card game, but I'm not interested enough in TCG to try another game.

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
1. Decent change to Buzzard. It's not like other card draw mechanics aren't available to Hunters if they don't want something that slow.
2. Brings him perilously close to Reckless Rocketeer level. I might've considered it, if I had one.
3. Hadn't heard of one. Naxx was...underwhelming. Cards were fine, but the content presentation was tiresome. I don't find fighting against gimmicky AI opponents interesting.
4. Haven't touched it in a long while. Meta-game had gotten impossibly stale and early Naxx cards were just making already strong play styles stronger.

Grumman

Sep 11, 2008
Spambot 3000 said:
1. I think it's the wrong nerf. As I've said many times on their forums, Buzzard should be a scavenger that feeds off death (Whenever a beast kills an enemy minion, draw a card). Leeroy shouldn't wait for buffs before going all Leeroy Jenkins (Battlecry: attack an enemy), and Gadgetzan Auctioneer should be a profiteer (Whenever you play a spell, draw a card. It costs (1) more this turn).

2. Yes, I did. Worst comes to worst, I can always recraft it for the same price.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
#1 - Love it. Hate it for my Hunter deck, since it's just a basic Beast deck, but Starving Buzzard + Unleash the Hounds was too insane, and too predictable. That having been said, I agree with some of the people who have said that changing it to a 5 cost 3/2 basically means it's unplayable. It's too costly with too low a stat pool to be worth playing, even with that draw mechanic. The Gadgetzan Auctioneer is a 5 cost 4/4 that does the same thing with spells.

#2 - I don't have Leeroy in the first place (after all of the years I spent playing WoW, I haven't actually paid anything in Hearthstone as of today), but I hope that the Leeroy change will make Miracle Rogues less obnoxious. I'm sure they'll still be around, but having to wait until turn 8 to be able to play it instead of turn 6 can make a pretty huge difference.

#3 - I don't know what they're planning on doing with it, so I don't really have an opinion other than "More cards = Yay."

#4 - Same as always, fun mixed in with endless frustration when my decks decide to screw me out of any potential synergy. Mostly just been doing daily quests to unlock a new quarter of the Naxx adventure content every week.

BloatedGuppy said:
3. Hadn't heard of one. Naxx was...underwhelming. Cards were fine, but the content presentation was tiresome. I don't find fighting against gimmicky AI opponents interesting.
That's kinda funny, because personally the Naxx AI opponents were exactly what I was hoping to get in the first place. Without even really realizing it, I've been wanting a card-game with a single-player mode that wasn't just "normal RPG but using cards" or "normal trading card game, but IN A GAME" for a long time, and being able to battle gimmicky bosses gives me exactly what I was looking for. Really hope they do more in the future.

4. Haven't touched it in a long while. Meta-game had gotten impossibly stale and early Naxx cards were just making already strong play styles stronger.
I don't even touch the meta. I play ranked, not really for any reason since I can barely get past rank 17, but the only decks I've really ever played are largely gimmick decks themselves. I've only got solid gimmicks for Warlock and Mage so far (Demonologist and ALL THE SPELLS (+Spell Damage)), but they're a lot of fun to play. ... mixed in with very frustrating when the opponent pulls everything they need to completely shut you down. 'Course, I don't even have Illidan or Jaraxxus for my Demonologist deck yet. :(

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
I kept my Leeroy since I never ran miracle rogue (and it still combos well with shaman). But the nerf to poor starving buzzard was to much. Especially while auctioneer does more with far better stats. I have made it to 13 with this shaman deck I built around reincarnation. For a gimmicky combo deck it has far exceeded my expectations (although I never draw lightning storm when I need it). Although after all the grinding I did for Naxx since I am F2P (and they don't sell cards here which is the only way I can pay) I only really log in to do dailies lately. When they release it for the droid then maybe I will buy some cards and play more

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
I don't even touch the meta. I play ranked, not really for any reason since I can barely get past rank 17, but the only decks I've really ever played are largely gimmick decks themselves. I've only got solid gimmicks for Warlock and Mage so far (Demonologist and ALL THE SPELLS (+Spell Damage)), but they're a lot of fun to play. ... mixed in with very frustrating when the opponent pulls everything they need to completely shut you down. 'Course, I don't even have Illidan or Jaraxxus for my Demonologist deck yet. :(
I predominantly play Arena...I find it significantly more fun than ranked, which was basically a chore I did to fund future Arenas in case I had a bad run and my Arenas couldn't pay for themselves. More and more as I played aggro and weenie spam decks were dominating the meta game. I preferred slower, control decks personally, and that's the kind of deck you're most likely to be able to craft halfway decently in Arena. But even there weenie spam was starting to take over. Not even effective weenie spam, but good enough to kill you if you had a bad mulligan.

Just got exhausting seeing the same fucking 2-3 decks every single game in constructed, and then going to Arena and seeing people do their utmost to ape them there as well. Indicative of poor game balance.

Chaelura

May 13, 2013
It definitely needs more cards; *not* on the level of Magic, that's just insane; but more are needed for variety. It get boring laddering when you know exactly the build the person is running. That said, thank Cthulhu for the Leeroy nerf. Miracle rogues piss me off.

squid5580

Elite Member
Feb 20, 2008
So a couple weeks back I had enough dust to make either a Alextraza or a Sylvanas (I need Gromm and other minor legendaries as well but I want to finish the major neutrals first). I decided on Alex and sure enough today I buy a few packs and there is Alex. Booooo!!! Which gave me enough dust to make Sylvanas without dusting Tink or Cho. Yaaaayyyy!!!!

V da Mighty Taco

Apr 9, 2011
1. The Buzzard should've been reworked entirely, instead of essentially removed from the game. As it is, it's worse than freakin' Magma Rager, since at least that has the courtesy to cost only 3 mana for it's uselessness. A 3/2 for 5 mana is beyond a terrible statline (a vanilla 5 cost would be worth 5/6, to put it into perspective) and combo-reliant card draw does not come anywhere close to justifying that.

2. Yes, though it's just so I have the option to craft a different legendary and I might just end up recrafting him. It's not that I think Leeroy is useless now, but he has become substantially more niche outside of rush decks (where he's certainly a must-have) and I main Handlock and Druid. Been wanting to get a Control Warrior going though, since I have a fair amount of necessary legendaries built up like Rag, Grom, and Baron Geddon, so dusting Leeroy to get both Cairne and Sylvanis instead of just one of them may be the way to go here. Both work well in many decks as well, including Handlock and Druid, which makes the dusting-Leeroy option more tempting. Still, Leeroy's not a bad card and I'd want to recraft him at some point relatively soon. Maybe right after the Black Knight, should I even keep him dusted.

3. Great. If Naxx has proven anything, it's that new cards are sorely needed to keep Hearthstone alive. I know that I've been losing interest since before Naxx, with Naxx bringing back a bit of that interest just from the 30 new cards. A set of 100 or so cards would work wonders to mix things up and open up more options for experimentation and gimmicks (something I love in all video games). I do hope that it brings in some more late-game non-legendaries though, since a late-game control or even mid-range deck is often too costly for new players, which leads to more aggressive control or rush decks getting faaar too popular amongst the "below rank 5" crowd (which I'd estimate is like 90% of the Hearthstone playerbase).

4. Kinda boring again. A big reason for that is what I just mentioned above - all the slower decks that I would like to play with, such as Control Warrior, require incredibly expensive legendaries that I don't have and can't be substituted, due to the lack of good lategame non-legendaries. So now it's either I stick to what I know (boring), or I quit playing altogether. Another factor is how most meta decks are just extensions of previous decks (though the new Death Priest is certainly a nice sight to behold). Things are just stagnating too much both on my end and on other players' ends to keep me playing for very long at all, and Blizzard's nerfs-only attitude isn't helping.

Random Fella

Nov 17, 2010
I felt the nerf completely unreasonable, the whole point of the card was to combo it with low cost beasts in order to get low cost card draw, they could have simply nerfed the stats or perhaps buffed the stats by 1 and increased the mana cost by 1, but the now mana cost is completely unreasonable as it removes the value in the card draw. This change has made hunter so weak, though I did not play it much in the first place.
I have a Leeroy, I don't use it often but it's there. The thing with Leeroy is it never needed a nerf, it was good, but not overpowered, the reason it was so good in decks such as miracle were more because of cards such as Auctioneer that gave you extreme amount of draw through very low cost or no cost spells that came with the class. Without the proper combo's (such as in the handlock deck with the spell that destroys the minion and deals damage to the enemies minions of it's hp) or without being within lethal range, it's just useless in your hand until that moment, which is an issue in itself when a useful answer could have been in your hand that whole time.

ohnoitsabear

Feb 15, 2011
1. I think it was overnerfed. It definitely was op, I'm not going to try to deny that, but I think making it a four mana 2/3 would have accomplished the same thing without making the card basically unplayable. Although overall I think it is changing the game for the better, as already the meta has shifted dramatically. We'll see how this is going to change things long term.

2. I didn't have Leeroy. I was considering crafting one right before the change, but I didn't have quite enough dust, and I didn't really want to disenchant anything. That said, I firmly believe that Leeroy was the single most bullshit card in the game, so I'm really glad they nerfed it.

3. I can't wait. Basically, the number one thing this game needs right now is more cards, and a big new expansion will help a lot.

4. I'm enjoying the game more than ever. I still think Hearthstone is a fantastic little game, and despite some problems, it's still worth getting into.

King of Asgaard

Vae Victis, Woe to the Conquered
Oct 31, 2011
1.) The buzzard nerf effectively killed the hunter class in my and others' opinions. Since buzzard is the only reliable form of draw that a hunter can make use of, its absence in a deck means that said deck is inherently weaker than those that include it. However, this nerf is just too scathing. At 5 mana, it is unplayable. You can't play it a turn in advance to set up a combo, because the 2 health is easily dealt with, nor can you play it the same turn as something else and get good value out of the combo. The result of all this is that Hunter is pretty much non-viable at most ranks. I managed to put together a trap hunter deck which does well enough, but I can't imagine getting to legendary with Hunter any more.

2.) I didn't have one, and regarding the nerf, same as above, only the Leeroy nerf didn't screw a class over. Leeroy now is essentially a worse Reckless Rocketeer, an already bad card, only it gives the other guy minions as well as being inefficient at 5 mana. It is basically unplayable, though the decks that ran it have mostly recovered, with miracle rogue adopting Malygos, and handlock throwing in JARAXXUS, EREDAR LORD OF THE BURNING LEGION.

3.) More cards are needed, post-haste. The Naxx cards were a good start, and the meta was shaken up a fair bit, but a proper 100+ card expansion is required at this point to keep the game from becoming irreparably stagnant.

4.) Quite good, all things considered. I've gotten much better at Arena, even getting my second 12-2 win with Priest (first time was with Paladin). I collect dailies regularly in unranked, because I have no interest in grinding to get to legendary. My decks work pretty well overall.

However, the meta is pretty unremarkable at this point in time. Zoo is rampant, handlock's making a comeback, miracle went spell power, and control warrior is as frustrating as ever. Also, as one of those weirdos who plays the game entirely F2P (I've never sunk a single cent into it), it's difficult to netdeck, because it's so damned expensive to craft cards. I have, what, 6 legendaries I think: Black Knight, Jaraxxus, Krush, Tinkmaster, Ragnaros and the Beast. Only Rag fits into current decks, and even then, not on his own. If I want to keep up with the meta, I'd need Alexstraza, Grommash, Tirion, Cairne, maybe Thalnos and Sylvanas, just to name a few. To craft all these, I'd need 9600 dust. Regular card packs give around 60 dust each, which translates to 160 card packs, or 16000 gold or 107 arena runs to make. By the time I'm able to acquire all this, the meta will undoubtedly change, either due to an expansion or a new combo which no one can match, rendering my effort moot. Keeping up with the current meta is not for me, as it's just not worth it for the level of play I most enjoy (Arena).

Fishyash

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2010
1. In regards to the buzzard nerf, they should at least make the stats better if they are going to make it 5 mana.

The biggest advantage of the buzzard was definitely its low cost, so I definitely understand why they made it more expensive, but increasing its cost is a big enough nerf, giving it terrible stats for its cost (in fact the worst stats of any 5 drop in the game AFAIK) is too far.

2. I'd have dusted leeroy if I had one. However I think the nerf was "justified", since blizzard didn't intend the card to be used the way it did. (i'll get back to what I mean by those quote marks)

3. I don't play HS too much anymore but the card expansion is something to look forward to.

4. As mentioned before, I don't play HS too much anymore. For me I have two major problems: first is the lack of a chatroom, it just makes the game feel lacking in a social aspect (which for an extremely simple card game a social aspect would heavily compensate).

The second is the fact that Blizzard are too quick to make changes, nerfs/buffs-wise, similarly with WoW, and I'm just sick of it. How can you expect a good meta to develop if you keep changing everything?

I better stop there before I go into a rant about why Blizzard constantly buffing/nerfing things is ultimately damaging to their games.

kaizen2468

Nov 20, 2009
I'm pretty pleased with the nerfs. I dont really like it when certain cards are so good they're basically mandatory in decks.

Fireaxe

Sep 30, 2013
Good move by Blizzard, honestly the Buzzard+UTH+Hyena combo was way too good for the cost.

Didn't have one.

3. How do you feel about the upcoming card expansion, whenever that's supposed to be happening?
Depends how it goes, adding too many cards might feel like blizzard is just stretching the life of the game.

Pretty good.

giles

Feb 1, 2009
I hate sludge belcher. The card made the metagame slow down to the point that almost everyone runs control decks now and the amount of fatigue wars has gone through the roof.

The Leeroy nerf was much needed though, not sure how they should have gone about the Buzzard. Both miracle and the hunter were annoying, basic goal is to draw your entire deck before the enemy is through half of his and then overrun them with all the cards. Glad that has gone down a bit with the recent changes.

jademunky

Mar 6, 2012
Spambot 3000 said:
Yeah I was just bored and wondering if there was anyone else here who wanted to discuss or share their time spent on Hearthstone, mainly:
Loving the buzzard nerf actually. I just did a massive overhaul of my Hunter deck, took out the buzzard and hound cards and instead put in loot hoarders and spiders. Then added death rattle cards and traps. My undead hunter deck got me up to rank 12 so far. Not fantastic but better than I've ever done.

Calcium

Dec 30, 2010
It seems like Hunter needed a nerf in some way. There were so many on ladder that they were running flare in place of tracking to improve the mirror match! The buzzard nerf though seems really severe... though the combo of '5 mana, draw 2-3 cards and destroy an enemy minion with hound and Hunter's Mark' was too much when Hunter also has the Mad Scientist/Eaglehorn Bow combos.

I feel the Leeroy nerf was less controversial. If I had one, I'd disenchant it only because I'd rather have Cairne prenerf anyway.

Didn't realise there was an upcoming card expansion. Was on their website yesterday and saw no mention of it.

Have been enjoying the meta and ranked play. I'm using two decks mostly at the moment. One is Malygos Rogue which is a lot of fun and somehow keeps destroying control warriors. The other is my own version of a Midrange Mage deck, which runs two Mirror Entities and has kept me climbing up to rank 8 so far this season. Got to rank 4 last season with it before the meta got hyper-aggressive.