Any MMOs like Fallen Earth?

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
So I find myself wanting to dive back into Fallen Earth recently, as I've always loved post apocalypse settings, and I kind of enjoyed their crafting system, at least last time I played the game.

Sadly, the game has been shut down for roughly a year.....so, no diving back into that obviously.

Anyone know of any games like it though? a post apocalypse mmo type game? free to play preferably.

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Hmmm... Post apocalyptic?
The only thing that comes to mind is Defiance, which was about an alien invasion IIRC, but I don't know if that's still up or if it's similar to Fallen Earth, sadly the vast majority of MMOs are Fantasy followed probably by Sci-Fi so there aren't many Post-Apocalyptic MMOs.

Also I can't tell you much about Defiance other than it's an MMO looter shooter, with a post-apocalyptic alien invasion setting.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
The only thing that comes to mind is Defiance, which was about an alien invasion IIRC, but I don't know if that's still up or if it's similar to Fallen Earth, sadly the vast majority of MMOs are Fantasy followed probably by Sci-Fi so there aren't many Post-Apocalyptic MMOs.

Also I can't tell you much about Defiance other than it's an MMO looter shooter, with a post-apocalyptic alien invasion setting.
I'm pretty sure that's dead too

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I'm pretty sure that's dead too
Decided to look it up just to be sure, it seems like it's still receiving updates and that it still has servers online, I mean the last blogpost was yesterday.

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

Yeah I actually downloaded Defiance, and Defiance 2050 last night to try them out. Haven't had a chance yet due to work. I just did a google search for post apocalypse mmos, and got an....interesting list. Not really great.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
I really must not. I genuinely like bethesda's FO games, but 76 never seemed appealing to me.
Yeah, I honestly didn't think you would but I was at a loss to think of anything else off the top of my head so I threw it out there, like a turd into a dinner party.

Which, come to think of it, probably explains why I don't get invited to parties much.

Reactions: happyninja42

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

Defiance 2050 is still up which is the sort of remake of it but with more rigid classes or something like that.

Also for some reason they toned down the loot system which means you no longer get the cool loot showers when bosses die

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
Defiance 2050 is still up which is the sort of remake of it but with more rigid classes or something like that.

Also for some reason they toned down the loot system which means you no longer get the cool loot showers when bosses die
Well that sucks, but I only played that game for a little bit when it came out, nice to see it's still up though, shame about the TV show, pretty sure they only had one season.

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
Well that sucks, but I only played that game for a little bit when it came out, nice to see it's still up though, shame about the TV show, pretty sure they only had one season.
I remember when the show came out but it didn't sound like it was getting talked about much so I'm guessing it didn't find much of an audience.

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I remember when the show came out but it didn't sound like it was getting talked about much so I'm guessing it didn't find much of an audience.
I can understand why, I don't actually remember much about it other than it was OK but not great, but it was such a huge selling point for the game, that there would be special events that represented important battles and it would directly influence the show depending on how they went, that sounded really interesting, but if there's not enough of an audience it kinda had to get cancelled.

Reactions: Dalisclock

Dalisclock

Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
Country
Eagleland
I can understand why, I don't actually remember much about it other than it was OK but not great, but it was such a huge selling point for the game, that there would be special events that represented important battles and it would directly influence the show depending on how they went, that sounded really interesting, but if there's not enough of an audience it kinda had to get cancelled.
I did not know that and it sounds interesting. The fact I'm learning this 5 years after it went off the air probably explains the whole problem with not enough people knowing about the show.

Kae

Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
I did not know that and it sounds interesting. The fact I'm learning this 5 years after it went off the air probably explains the whole problem with not enough people knowing about the show.
Yeah, it was supposed to be a combination of small and important stuff, like mentioning a hero that deafeated a big bad, and that hero would be whichever player defeated the enemy, but supposedly some raid events where different factions could win would come up and stuff of that nature, from my understanding of it, it was supposed to be mostly just very minor stuff but it was still an intriguing concept, if you're familiar with The Matrix Online and how that game was influenced by the playerbase, it wasn't like as big of an influence as in that game, but it was supposed to be similar but at a smaller scale, since that game handled it more like a tabletop RPG with a lot of GMs than an interactive show, but the idea was interesting.

BTW I never got to play The Matrix Online but that's another game that sounded very intriguing, from what I've read the game itself wasn't anything special, but the fact that it had a story handled by actual GMs that adapted to what the players decided sounds super cool, I don't think I've heard of any other MMOs that did that, but I'm off-topic now.

Reactions: Dalisclock

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010
Yeah, it was supposed to be a combination of small and important stuff, like mentioning a hero that deafeated a big bad, and that hero would be whichever player defeated the enemy,
"Yes, LordBallzNmahface69, truly a champion of the people." *Everyone watching the show not playing the game* "......the fuck?!"

Reactions: Kae

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
It had 3 season.

Season 1 & 2 are good enough. Season 3 tried to be Game of Thrones.

Yeah, it was supposed to be a combination of small and important stuff, like mentioning a hero that deafeated a big bad, and that hero would be whichever player defeated the enemy, but supposedly some raid events where different factions could win would come up and stuff of that nature, from my understanding of it, it was supposed to be mostly just very minor stuff but it was still an intriguing concept, if you're familiar with The Matrix Online and how that game was influenced by the playerbase, it wasn't like as big of an influence as in that game, but it was supposed to be similar but at a smaller scale, since that game handled it more like a tabletop RPG with a lot of GMs than an interactive show, but the idea was interesting.

BTW I never got to play The Matrix Online but that's another game that sounded very intriguing, from what I've read the game itself wasn't anything special, but the fact that it had a story handled by actual GMs that adapted to what the players decided sounds super cool, I don't think I've heard of any other MMOs that did that, but I'm off-topic now.
I never finished the true main plot but I got a lot of it done so here's some of the more prominent links to the show

Spoilers obviously for the game's story and some of the show.

So the two characters you meet at the start of the game are two of the main characters in the show. They're meant to be delivering a certain bit of tech to a certain dealer. The Tech gets stolen in the game and Nolan and Irisa decide to leave for Defiance and the dealer in the game eventually leaves to track them down and turns up in Defiance in one episode

The big turning point in the war between humanity and the Votans is known as the Battle of Defiance. The two armies were stationed either side of a civilian settlement near there. A Voltan terraforming beam system nearby went haywire and started firing on the civilians (it was meant to be both Voltan and humans in the civilian area) when the terraforming beam was on the edge of town both armies who had orders to engage if they saw the other move towards the town. Both armies ignored the orders and dropped their weapons both rescuing the civilian population with tales of Votans rescuing human children and human soldiers rescuing Voltan children.

In the game you learn it wasn't a random malfunction that set the terraforming beam off. It was deliberately done some of the characters in the game and Nolan from the show are some of the only people who know and keep the truth. They set it off deliberately. They set it to target the civilian settlement deliberately in the hope both armies would choose to try and save the civilians and work together rather than fight one another. It was a gamble that paid off but everyone else in the world sees the system malfunctioning as a random incident that no-one did deliberately. It's sort a Watchmen esc scenario as if the truth got out it was deliberate then it could spell and end to the uneasy peace founded on both sides responding to what they thought was a freak accident.

Irisa is missing early on in Season 2 and Nolan trying to find her. He finds her messed up with a lets say underworld type figure who is actually one of the ones who pops up as a Mission giver in Defiance the game.

After in episode 1 of the show the residence of Defiance along with Nolan and Irisa manage to fight off "The Volge" a sort of rogue military alien species who aren't allied with the Voltans the Volge forces go elsewhere. In Defiance the game they turn up and you'll have certain areas with NPC mission givers and stores come under siege from group of Volge with some services not available under the siege is over

Reactions: Dalisclock and Kae