Any SimCity type games in space?

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
So there's the 4X genre. Lots of games available, including several very good ones in the last few years. I've got quite a few of them and enjoy them to varying degrees. That's no what I'm looking for today.

Today I'm interested Sim ___ and ___ Tycoon type games set in space. Space stations, Space nations, or what have you, just without the empire building and conquest focus that the 4X genre has. I've done only a bit of searching, so I may have missed something obvious, but so far I've only found Startopia, which came out in 2001 and is available on GOG(so I may check it out). Kind of looking for something a bit more modern as well though, so my search hasn't quite ended yet.

Any suggestions, Escapists?

Costia

Jul 3, 2011
closest thing I can think of is "Spacebase df9".
It was a prototype made by doublefine during their "Amnesia Fortnight"

evilneko

Fall in line!
Jun 16, 2011
Sci Fi seems to be a rare setting for city-building games. [https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_city-building_video_games] >.> Perhaps some of them are moddable.

Don Incognito

Feb 6, 2013
Startopia was the first thing I thought of when I saw the topic title. It is tremendous fun, and made by former members of Bullfrog, so it has a great amount of humor as well. Can not recommend it highly enough.