Any writers here on the Escapist?

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
Yes, it's one of my main hobbies and take it pretty seriously. I have written a lot of stuff, but have been to busy to bother publishing anything. Even if I don't publish anything though, I enjoy writing and thinking of new stories and characters is always enjoyable to me.

ddon

Jun 29, 2009
Yes and no. I often walk back and forth, speaking to myself and making up stories. I never wright them down though.

P0RTAL

Jan 17, 2011
I love to write,although my writing ability has decreased gradually. Writing is more of a hobby for me now. I usually write fantasy novel type things. My record has been 100 pages when I was in grade school.

Original Bubs

Mar 18, 2010
I like to think of myself as quite a writer. I used to write a good deal of fantasy and science fiction-ish type stories before my senior year stuff took over. I got one story published (which really needed more editing on my part), and I won a writing competition at a state convention this year, but most of my time is taken by Dual Credit English essays, which is about 200-250 words of me waxing philosophically and then another 3-4 pages of well-received drivel.

I do wish I could start writing fiction again, any fiction at all.

KarlMonster

Mar 10, 2009
I'm also going to plug NaNoWriMo. All us semi-serious maybe writers should do it. Its fun, it can be as collaborative as you want it to be, with local and not-so-local meetings, as well as online chat.

ZeroG131 said:
Well, I'm trying to get into this whole writing thing ... I have a sorta writing draft journal where I work out and formulate ideas, what my overall themes and messages are gonna be ...
you end up with the three month written abomination that is Twilight.
Bwahahahaha @ Twilight.
Seriously, I do hear NaNoWriMo people complain that they can't come up with a story idea. So kudos for your story journal - but get to the writing! The writing is much more important than the planning. As an exercise, I try to write down as much of my screwwy dreams as I can remember. Then flesh them out with as much detail as I can possibly remember without embellishing. As an added bonus I can look at them months in the future and say "Ohhhh, I know why I was dreaming about that!" Unless it was the one where I became non-corporeal and couldn't get myself back, that was just freaky.

I personally have a couple of great story ideas kicking around in my head, which occasionally I sit down and write a few pages. [[Except for this one which requires a rape scene, its pretty intense, and I don't think I can do it...]] With that short rough draft, I usually stop. That transfer to paper gets the story out of my head so I can think of other things. I lack the discipline to sit and write like a few of you do. The only thing that I've come close to completing to my satisfaction is a Sluggy Freelance fan fiction. I came up with that idea because I couldn't bear the uneasy silence between Torg and Zoe after 'That Which Redeems.' I say its not done because it needs more puns - since that is part of Torg's hubris. Maybe I should leave the punning to the Pete Abrams, the strip's author.

tehweave

Gaming Wildlife
Apr 5, 2009
I write, but I've never done anything professionally. I've written several scripts for short films (produced a few as well) and jot down random ideas daily and try and spend at least 1 hour a day writing and developing old ideas into stories, comics, scripts, or anything of the sort.

Blazenwizard

Mar 17, 2010
I used to write fan fics and aspire to be a game journalist..at least i used to until i got bogged down in B.S smh...I've been published before and I'm trying to get back on my feet some how

HandsomeZer0

Dec 6, 2010
Poet, short story writer. I've contributed to a few scripts by friends. Nothing major besides top grades on everything i've submitted in high school.

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Mostly fiction and short stories, recently started up on a small project that will either become a short story due to lack of ideas, or a short novel due to luck. We'll see how it turns out.

http://ecoeclipse.deviantart.com

Where I store all of my work for public viewing. Criticism encouraged.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I write for my own comics though if that's real writing I'm sure is up for debate (it's not).

Blemontea

May 25, 2010
I have personally labeled myself as a Wannabe Writer. I am piecing the plot stucture of the book im writing right now together, but i dont want to rush the writing seeing as though im still a high school student. But in a couple of years i will step up the game and start punching out chapters.

Phantomess

Sep 19, 2009
I write and I write well, to the point that if my room-mate doesn't get her daily dosage of whatever I'm working on, she throws things at my head. At the moment, she's enjoying Glitterland and Son of a Siren. The former being set in an alternate dimension and the latter about a rock-star who turns into a fish-man during daylight hours. Go figure.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
Irridium said:
Well, I can write bad fan-fiction. Does that count?
Same here, except I usually only get the ideas down and never actually write the bloody things.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
I've written quite a few "Strange Humor" stories (and by strange, I mean Invader Zim strange, not creepy strange) and my friends all seem to enjoy them. Recently, I've been working on a story called "The Androgynous Salt Man: A Story of Love, Betrayal, and Sniffing Markers", even though it's more or less Fallout 3 meets Monty Python and the Holy Grail.

InnerRebellion

Mar 6, 2010
darkfire613 said:
I enjoy writing, and people have always told me I'm a good writer, but I've never been able to stick with a project beyond around 15 pages. Typically I'll have an idea, maybe a certain character or setting I want to explore, and I'll write a bit about it, then get bored and move on to my next idea.
Same here. I get so into the world I'm working on, or maybe a specific character, when suddenly a new idea takes over and I abandon the other one.

kortin

Mar 18, 2011
I used to write. I can come up with lots of scenarios at any time. I also tend to overthink most anything, so its both a gift and a curse. Sometimes when I write, i describe something to the point that the reader goes "Good god, where is the actual story here?" and then sometimes I describe something so vaguely that the reader says something like "wtf is this? What the hell is he describing?". That was about the time that I should become a game designer. With all the ideas for mechanics and stories and levels floating around in my head, i figured that I should put it to use and provide other people with good games.

I am beginning to ramble a little. So yes, I am technically a writer. I've written a book, however, it isn't published because I am not done yet(i've been working on it for almost 3 years now >.>...oh and I am terrified of sending it to a publisher). I like to write in my free time, if and when I have it.