Anybody find sex overrated?

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Obviously i'm not the only one but just sort of curious what others thoughts were.
As life goes on I still desire sex but more and more there are a bunch of things I'd rather do. Instead of sleeping in and getting some morning action I'd rather go run errands. Instead of taking a day off with the lady I'd really like to get caught up on work.

Increasingly taking the hour or two to have sex just doesn't seem worth it when there are so many other things I could be doing like flying, or riding the motorcycle, or getting lunch with friends, or watching a new series or reading a book I got into, or playing GTA or Titanfall online.

I see so much stuff on sex and it just seems like every guy is trying to get it all the time or that its this super awesome fun thing but i'm just here like 2-3 times a month is good for me and its fun but not enough to cause me to want to do it more often. (its not for lack of diversity in sex either lol)

edit captcha " roller coaster" (i'd rather ride that lol)

PainInTheAssInternet

The Ship Magnificent
Dec 30, 2011
Well sex is one of the most basic desires for obvious reasons. On the same page, it's frequently suppressed (at leadt where I am) for the concept of decency. I think that combination serves to idealize and idolize sex and those who can get it with many people.

That all said, I like sexytimes myself.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Basically, yeah.
I remember when I first had it with my now ex-girlfriend and my thought afterwards was "THAT was it?! This is what guys in my high school went crazy over?! This is what Yoko Ono did to break up the Beatles and what caused the Trojan War? This is what drove Othello to murder his wife and what most people it seems can't get enough of?!"

And it never got better, lest you say it was a single bad experience or she's not that good. Multiple times with multiple partners. Boring as shit to the point I'd get my partner off, then just leave before getting off myself. It wasn't worth the extra effort or time.

Massive let down. I now look at sex as something boring people do when there's nothing on good on TV, your game console and PC are both broke, neither of you is hungry or tired and there are no good movies to go see. As far as I'm concerned there are always better uses of my time than getting laid.

NemotheElvenPanda

Aug 29, 2012
After having done about five-ish hook-ups, sex doesn't really appeal to me anymore. I learned a few things and had fun, but it's just scratching an itch. Right now I'd much rather hold off any wholesome fornication until I'm in a relationship first; I imagine that makes aftersex less awkward.

Pseudonym

Legacy
Feb 26, 2014
Country
Nederland
There is a dutch song by Annie MG Schmidt called 'was that all?' which basically makes the same point silentpony makes above.

Some people hype sex up to be the best thing ever. Apparently it has brought people to murder and lie and cry and kill themselves. I'm not sure how it couldn't disappoint the expectations some people have set for it.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009

I'm still looking forward to it though. It's not going to be perfect but that doesn't mean I'm dissuaded at all. <.<

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
I don't think it's the most important or exciting thing ever, but it's something I desire and enjoy. Most of the reason I enjoy sex is for the intimacy, not necessarily getting off. Closeness and physical touch are important to me in a romantic sense, and sex facilitates that rather well (post-sex cuddling is the best).

sneakypenguin

Elite Member
Legacy
Jul 31, 2008
Country
usa
Silentpony said:
Basically, yeah.
I remember when I first had it with my now ex-girlfriend and my thought afterwards was "THAT was it?! This is what guys in my high school went crazy over?! This is what Yoko Ono did to break up the Beatles and what caused the Trojan War? This is what drove Othello to murder his wife and what most people it seems can't get enough of?!"

And it never got better, lest you say it was a single bad experience or she's not that good. Multiple times with multiple partners. Boring as shit to the point I'd get my partner off, then just leave before getting off myself. It wasn't worth the extra effort or time.

This was my experience. First time wasn't great but I expected that, then a couple months of frequent sex later it just wasn't getting better. Now half a decade of sexy times in every location and position its still no better. I don't hate sex and find women very attractive but its just not something I find fun in comparison to other activities.

Oct 10, 2011
Well, I like it. Very far from the most important or fun thing to me, but I'll usually jump at the chance for my boyfriend and I to have some sexytimes. Then we can play video games immedietly afterwards! Yay!

Aug 31, 2012
Sometimes you gel really well with someone sexually and it's fucking (hurr...) amazing, other times you don't and it's basically a posh wank. And that's all I have to say about that.

Ihateregistering1

Mar 30, 2011
As the old saying goes: "Sex is like oxygen. It's not a big deal until you don't have it anymore."

Since you clearly have a significant other and can have sex basically anytime you want to, it's not as significant to actually have sex, and thus it's not a big deal and feels 'overrated'. Be single and celibate for several months, and all of the sudden you'll start thinking sex is the greatest thing ever.

It's like a rich person telling an ultra poor person that going to the movies is no big deal. Sure it's not when you can afford to go anytime you want, but for someone who can only afford to go once every 3 months it is.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
It depends on the person. Sex as a standalone thing is indeed overrated, if all you want to do is get off, just use your hands. It'd be more efficient that way, too. Probably more pleasurable.

If you're with someone that excites you, someone that you care deeply for... sex becomes an intimate activity, and those can be really rewarding.

Nobody should be expected to strive for sex for sex's sake. I wish masturbation wasn't regarded with mockery, it's a far better way to "bust a nut" than involving other people.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
DizzyChuggernaut said:
It depends on the person. Sex as a standalone thing is indeed overrated, if all you want to do is get off, just use your hands. It'd be more efficient that way, too. Probably more pleasurable.

If you're with someone that excites you, someone that you care deeply for... sex becomes an intimate activity, and those can be really rewarding.

Nobody should be expected to strive for sex for sex's sake. I wish masturbation wasn't regarded with mockery, it's a far better way to "bust a nut" than involving other people.
In my experience that's typically only an issue for women. It's pretty much assumed that men masturbate regularly, despite it being taboo to talk about. Women on the other hand are basically shamed for it--which is really odd to me. Most women I know that have embraced masturbation are happier for it.

Cowabungaa

Feb 10, 2008
Depends entirely on the sex.

There's some awful sex, so you could say that sex by itself is easily overrated. But Christ the good kind is divine.

Dizchu

...brutal
Sep 23, 2014
Fappy said:
In my experience that's typically only an issue for women. It's pretty much assumed the men masturbate regularly (and many do), despite it being taboo to talk about. Women on the other hand are basically shamed for it--which is really odd to me. Most women I know that have embraced masturbation are happier for it.
While I will agree that women face more stigma for masturbating than men do (probably because it is talked about far less), the general idea is that masturbation is seen as an inferior "substitute" for sex. People masturbate because they can't get laid. Rather than a substitute for sex, I'd prefer it if it were regarded as a separate thing.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
DizzyChuggernaut said:
Fappy said:
In my experience that's typically only an issue for women. It's pretty much assumed the men masturbate regularly (and many do), despite it being taboo to talk about. Women on the other hand are basically shamed for it--which is really odd to me. Most women I know that have embraced masturbation are happier for it.
While I will agree that women face more stigma for masturbating than men do (probably because it is talked about far less), the general idea is that masturbation is seen as an inferior "substitute" for sex. People masturbate because they can't get laid. Rather than a substitute for sex, I'd prefer it if it were regarded as a separate thing.
I'll be honest, as a guy I never really got that impression. In sex ed we were taught that masturbation is perfectly healthy and normal, and all of my guy friends growing up did it regularly--even while in relationships. Could just be my anecdotal experience, but I think that stigma isn't all that relevant these days... not to millennials, anyway.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
I don't have a sex drive. I can't really think of any other way to describe the way I feel, or I guess don't feel. I don't get it. Sure I have things I'm attracted to, my types of women, but I don't care to do anything or pursue anything. That drive... that desire, it's just not there.

Nobody believes me when I say it. When I say I don't masturbate they don't believe me either. But I don't. It's just not something I care about. Whatever neurons spark that desire for intimacy and sex, they just aren't firing.