Anybody have high hopes for the new Wolfenstein game by Bethesda?

Cloned31

Feb 11, 2014
I don't know about you but I have a lot more confidence that Bethesda is doing it and they could really create something awesome. Also the trailer for it has "All Along the Watchtower" included. Need I say more?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
*Raises Hand...
*Looks around and sees no other hands...
*Sheepishly puts hand down...

Alright, not quite that bad. I'm not giddy with excitement for the new game like I have gotten with others (LAST OF US!!!!) but after reading "Game Informers" cover story where they talk about the lady Nazi "Interrogating" you, I have been intrigued (Note: This was quite a while ago). It's got some great potential based on that but I have not seen any game-play or...well...anything else besides that.

So I am cautiously optimistic right now. That state could rise to "stupid excited" or plummet to "Not again" pending other information I run into.

ShinyCharizard

Oct 24, 2012
delta4062 said:
If it's similar to 2009 Wolfenstein I am. That game was pretty damn good.
Yeah same. That game was pretty damn awesome.

I'm always up for more shooters that just go crazy with the weapons and enemies.

Dragonlayer

Aka Corporal Yakob
Dec 5, 2013
I was hyped from the get-go because I loved Return to Castle Wolfenstein and the 2009 remake; that hype was only increased when I read that not only was Bethesda working on it, they had the writers from the first Darkness game, which was a surprise hit for me when I picked it up a few years ago. Plus it has German gas-masks and uber-mecha, and I'm always down with that!

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Not overly high, but that is because I didn't enjoy the 2009 version nor did I enjoy Inglourious Basterds, and people who have been playing their demo say that is the direction they are going for.

Who knows maybe they are wrong and this will be something really cool.

Pink Gregory

Jul 30, 2008
Is Bethesda actually developing it? Or are they just publishing?

Be interesting to see what Bethesda does with a straight FPS, rather than a first person RPG.

DANEgerous

Jan 4, 2012
SO MUCH NAZI BLOOD! How is that bad? I hope the story is cool it sounds kinda cool but still I want to get into the Nazi killing business again.

Duffeknol

Aug 28, 2010
I'll pick it up a year or 38 after its release. Y'know, Bethesda and all. By that time mods and patches will have made it playable.

SmallHatLogan

Jan 23, 2014
Cloned31 said:
Also the trailer for it has "All Along the Watchtower" included. Need I say more?
You mean the quintessential Vietnam War song is being used in a game about Nazis? Yes, you need say more.

OT: I played a bit of Castle Wolfenstein and I've played Wolfenstein 3D. Both great games. I did play Return to Castle Wolfenstein and I don't recall liking it very much. I haven't played Wolfenstein '09 (and don't plan to). But looking at some of gameplay for the new one it looks pretty cool. I won't be rushing out to buy it day one but I'll probably pick it up when the price drops.

Reaper195

Jul 5, 2009
But Bethesda aren't making it. People need to stop claiming Bethesda Game Studios ever makes a game that isn't an Elder Scrolls game, or Fallout 3.

Since I've seen nothing but improvements on every Wolfenstein release, I can't see MachineGames (The Developers, Nott Bethesda) fucking it up. Not to mention the last trailer looked...well, good.

And again, because people can't use Google, and seem to know sweet fuck all about the difference between Bethesda Softworks, and Bethesda Game Studios, it's being made by MachineGames. Who are owned by Zenimax, who owns Bethesda Softworks, who owns Bethesda Game Studios. And Bethesda Softworks, the publishing side of Bethesda, are publishing the game.

Christ, I thought people got this through their fuckin' skulls during the whole Rage/id/bethesda bollocks.

Foolery

No.
Jun 5, 2013
Yeah actually. I'm a huge Wolfenstein fan. I hope it's not like the 2009 release though. That was more COD, than Wolfenstein, in my opinion. Not bad, but nothing special.

Chester Rabbit

Dec 7, 2011
I do but I know it would be silly for me to try and voice my optimism and enthusiasm here as it would surely be drowned out and buried by cynicism and an overabundance of apathetic post that pretty much amount to a well explained paragraph of meh.

OldDirtyCrusty

Mar 12, 2012
Raises hand - Yes, i can say i have. It looks promising and fresh compared to the usual COD and BF updates plus it features Nazis - after the heavy use of russians and chinese enemies i can certainly say i miss killing those guys.

Barbas

ExQQxv1D1ns
Oct 28, 2013
Directly from Wikipedia:

Wolfenstein: The New Order is an upcoming first-person shooter video game in development by MachineGames to be published by Bethesda Softworks...
I hope this clears up any confusion. This is the first game by the new studio, which was established in 2009 by the former founders of Starbreeze Studios [http://www.starbreeze.com/].

I already like the imagination and humour that separates its trailers from those of many FPS games.

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
I dunno. I'd just like to see a remake which uses the original level files, but adds nicer graphics. Keep the Adlib FM synthesis music, though. That's awesome.

James Weaver

Mar 21, 2011
Best case scenario: It's like NecroVisioN

Worst case scenario: It's like NecroVisioN

Seriously, I don't hold any high hopes for it being anything other than a generic gonzo shooter, and everything 'cool' I've seen in the videos amounted to set pieces happening. Woo?

edit: Also calling it now, stupid time-travel shenanigans that YOU AND ONLY YOU can reverse.