Anyone else disappointed with their New Console Purchase

Stavros Dimou

Mar 15, 2011
Credence said:
I've never advocated early adoption. And in this generation especially all of the potential benefits to early adoption were wiped out by the stingy design of either box.

However, I allowed myself to be suckered into buying a PS4. Partially because I felt it was an inevitability and partially because my brother agreed to go halves on it with me.

But goddamn have I been disappointed. There's nothing wrong with it per say, but I've got bugger all to do with it. Of my three very expensive games two of them are utter rubbish.
I couldn't imagine a game more disappointing than Watchdogs. Never before has a game's totally unengaging story made me want to avoid playing it so much. UFC is a huge step backwards from the THQ days. And Infamous is a pretty, but ultimately very standard, bit of sandbox fluff.

And that's it. I've spent £600 ($900) and had little more than a handful of days worth of gaming out of the box. It doesn't do Youtube so it never gets used for random internet surfing. It offers absolutely no useful new features that I've come across and is actually deficient in several areas compared to both my PS3 and my 360. I only have two blu rays both of which I'd watched to death before owning them on Blu Ray, so I've never even tested out the Blu Ray player.

I was all geared up for getting Destiny on there but having played the Beta on both PS4 and 360 there's hardly any bloody difference and I've got way more friends on 360 than I do on PS4 so I can't help but think that I'll be better off buying the technically worse version.

And the Playstation store is infuriating. Deals are only available to you if you buy Plus and anything free that they give you is only free so long as you keep paying for plus. And that might be all well and good, but I can't justify paying money for something which I am at the moment never using, because the games I have are shit. But I'm certainly not going to buy a game for full price when there's something there saying that I could get it cheaper, if I spent more money...?!

I want to get NBA 2K14. But it's £40 on the store whereas I could get it for 360 for £20 and I know I'd get just as much enjoyment out of playing it on the 360.

This isn't an attack on Sony or the PS4. I know that I'd be far more pissed off right now if I'd bought an XBone. But it's just a general sense of "Meh". £600 worth of "Meh" that I'm constantly trying to find reasons for switching on. And I know that plenty of people who have bought Indie games on the PSN are getting lots of play out of their box. But that's not why I bought an expensive console and to be honest having done so I can't really afford to buy any games anyway.

Fittingly the "Prove your humanity" box for this post is asking me to write the phrase "Hissy fit".
600 pounds for a console and a handful of games ?
Man,you could buy a PC with better specs than the console for the same price. And with its backwards compatability you could be playing any game that came out for it the last 30 years,most of them for dirty cheap like 1,2,3,and 5 pounds on Steam. And many of the old ones are so old their creators give them away for free.

Evonisia

Your sinner, in secret
Jun 24, 2013
Not at all. My Xbox One doesn't sit collecting dust, and besides Thief and most of Ryse I've enjoyed the games on it. While I don't really like the Kinect, it gets a lot of use seeing as my Dad is fascinated with it so even the peripheral is getting used. Also the Xbox One controller is a wonderful controller that actually has a D-Pad rather than a button you move in different positions to do stuff.

Plus since I already own a PS3, Xbox 360, Wii and a PC that can all play some games, I can't get people telling me "but you could just do this for cheaper".

I also plan on getting a Wii U soon, seeing as there are finally some games I want on it (and ZombiU is only £6 in some shops).

Blitsie

Jul 2, 2012
Not entirely, I must admit its been more than a month now since I last remotely touched my PS4 (and its currently gathering dust in some dark corner somewhere) but I couldn't resist not getting it while I was in New York since it costs around $700 around here for the standard version and even years from now the price isn't going to drop below $500 sadly. Its going to get amazing games eventually so I see it more as a long term investment at the moment haha

Definitely grabbing a Wii U for myself this Christmas though, man there's some good games coming out for it.

srm79

Jan 31, 2010
Nope. Battlefield 4 is streets ahead of its PS3 counterpart, and I play it pretty much daily. Wolfentstein was one of the best games I've played in a long time, KillZone: Shadow Fall was fantastic, I highly enjoyed Tomb Raider, having never played it on the PS3 and I'm getting a lot of mileage out of MotoGP 14 right now as well.

I realise that there's only one actual exclusive in that lot, but the fact is I've had a blast with my PS4 since buying it at the end of January. Definitely no "buyers remorse" here.

NiPah

May 8, 2009
Stavros Dimou said:
Man,you could buy a PC with better specs than the console for the same price. And with its backwards compatability you could be playing any game that came out for it the last 30 years,most of them for dirty cheap like 1,2,3,and 5 pounds on Steam. And many of the old ones are so old their creators give them away for free.
Since PCs are so cheap most people here already own one, unless you're advocating for people to buy an additional computer other then the one they're using to read and post on this very thread your point is moot.

OT: Been loving mine, a little sad that I can't cross-play with my friends who still have PS3s, but so far I've been loving Destiny Beta, LoU remastered, and Kill Zone.
I'm also really looking forward to playing GTA 5 in all it's upgraded glory (I'm one of the crazies who still play that game).

Continuity

May 20, 2010
Come back in 2-3 years and then tell me if you're disappointed. Not patient enough to wait that long for a decent library of games? then you bought in too soon, no one to blame but yourself.

ZZoMBiE13

Ate My Neighbors
Oct 10, 2007
I got both machines at launch and I've had a good bit of fun with each of them.

InFamous was a let down, I'll give you that. But I've played lots of X1 games and PS4 games and most of them have been good to great with only the disappointing InFamous and RYSE really leaving me feeling like I didn't get what I was hoping for.

novem

Nov 18, 2009
I?m pretty happy with my WiiU. I have a powerful PC so haven?t seen a reason to buy either of the other two consoles yet. Possibly by next summer that will change.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
No, but that's cause I have a a WiiU.

A console that's tiding me over with the oh so wonderful Wonderful 101, Wind Waker HD, and frikin Shovel Knight (thank you based Yacht Club). A console that also has it's big guns coming very soon. I probably would have regret it post E3 but now i'm just about ready to play Bayonetta 2 and Smash for the next 80 years.

As for a console I might be disappointed getting, most likely the PS4. I'm getting it after the Bloodborne hype dies, for that, MGSV, and No Man's Sky (pls actually live up to the trailer)............. then what. Nothing looks remotely interesting until I hear that they are upon release.

Keiichi Morisato

Nov 25, 2012
I own a Wii U that I am quite satisfied with, but I am a pretty pissed off at Sony for relegating the PSVita into a optional controller for the PS4 and less a handheld. not that I don't like the indie games, the ports of PS2 remasters, or the ports of PS3/4 games, or all of the JRPG's that are being made for it, but Sony doesn't want to give the Vita any original Sony content, which is primarily why I bought the Vita in the first place. the last I heard from Sony when it comes to original Vita content was Gravity Rush 2, but after the brief mention that it was going to happen, we have heard bugger all since.

Elijin

Elite Muppet
Legacy
Feb 15, 2009
I picked up an XB1 on day 1. Since then, I have put a bunch of hours into Dead Rising 3 and NFS Rivals, 2 of my 3 'launch' games. (The third is BF4, which I was meh towards and have broken my rules by accepting the lousy trade in value). I've rented AC IV and had a blast with that, and grabbed Guacamelee and Strike Suit Zero from the games with gold program.

While I powered through those titles on release, I will admit I dont play it much currently (Though this will change in the coming days and weeks, as holiday season sets in).

But lets talk about the TV....now I know the XB1 TV features are seen as a sin....but I cant get behind that. In my country, there is no Netflix support, and 1 cable provider and it is obscene what they charge. Streaming services are also mostly absent. The XB1 provides me with 4 different free?(not actually sure, I have gold and always have gold) streaming services. Add that to the fact where I have the TV has no co-axial ports, and suddenly those TV options dont seem so bad. And thus I use them possibly every other day, to...watch TV.

In anticipation of the 'But you have to pay for gold to watch 4 lousy channels!', I will clarify that a - I still use my 360, so my gold account is still active to support my playing Dark Souls 2, and b - I got a bunch of codes last year super cheap because they were expiring, and redeemed them all at once and stacked a few years of membership onto my account for less than the price of 1 year.

So yeah, I have a day 1 purchase, and while I may not use it every day, I am happy with it as a product. And looking forward to the games I will be picking up for it over the next 3 months.

LaochEire

Mar 9, 2010
Own a Wii U, Xbox One and PS4.

So far, they all get limited use, but so does my PC. I mostly game on PS3.

PS4 games have been pretty disappointing. I hated Infamous SS (I loved 1 + 2), Killzone: SF was second weakest in the series, AC IV was mind numbingly boring, Watch Dogs was meh, Outlast was meh.

However, Resogun was dope and one of my GOTY.

XB1 isn't great, Ryse is terrible, TitanFall pretty dull after initial few hours, Forza is fine. Dead Rising 3 is fine. Console itself is poor. Expensive, voice commands barely register and weakest 3rd party games.

Wii U is a fine console. Getting pretty sick of the Nintendo flogging of their IP though. I thought Zombie U was great, Super Mario Bros U was just same old dull shite, Nintendo Land is dull, Wonderful 101 is awesome, Super Mario 3D land is awesome

Has garbage 3rd party support though.

PC is shite, same old PC games being fiddly and it pisses me off so much I don't bother with it. I can't stand PC gaming though.

My two cents anyway.

ZippyDSMlee

Sep 1, 2007
Its going downhill, its less appealing with each new less compatible iteration. This is why I put more money into my PC,its better spent.The exclusives are not worth the price anymore...

MeTalHeD

Feb 19, 2014
Continuity said:
Come back in 2-3 years and then tell me if you're disappointed. Not patient enough to wait that long for a decent library of games? then you bought in too soon, no one to blame but yourself.
I don't know if that's all his fault. What's the point of releasing a console when there aren't any or many games to go with it? I don't think it's to a console's benefit that it means he has to wait 2 to 3 years for it to start getting good. Then why not release it just before those games are released?

Also, I think OP has every right to be disappointed in a product if it isn't doing what it is supposed to. Sure, he could have bought better games, but they are extremely expensive. That's what is inhibiting him. If the games were cheaper, he could perhaps get another one or two to justify switching it on more.

OP has a point with the games being released on XBox 360 and PS4 too. Why pay double for the same thing he can get on his older console? His disappointment is justified because he feels he isn't getting the value he has paid for. $900 is not a small sum of money, then to blame him for buying "too soon" isn't helping his cause either because others are already having fun with their machines.

I do feel OP could have done some research before buying the likes of Watch Dogs, but that doesn't mean he can't be disappointed in a product. He believed it was going to give him some value for what he was paying for only to discover it won't. Considering how expensive games are, this fun is becoming a gamble, especially with the types of games developers are releasing these days. For $5 a game like Watch Dogs wouldn't be so bad, for example. Once you're forking out $60 to $80 for a new game, it better be fun.

There is also something extremely ironic about paying a subscription service to get free stuff...

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
No, mostly because with Nintendo systems I know I can get decent software in a year as that has historically been the case with Nintendo hardware. Just like how the 3DS had a good library within a year so did the Wii U and its upcoming releases are looking to be even better. Game systems should be considered investments when you get down to it; it's more about what you will get than it is about what's out now. Though admittedly the Twins (PS4, XB1) don't have a lot going for them, or at least they don't have a lot to justify why they had to be released.

Companies have been trying to create bandwagons for people to hop onto...and they're not really working. Killzone, Infamous, Ryse, Titanfall, Dead Rising 3, Knack, Watch Dogs, etc all of them have been pushed by companies as the gem that justifies this generation. However those titles have failed to really take off whether due to them just plain sucking (Knack, Ryse), being glorified tech demos (Infamous, Dead Rising 3), or just calling to mind "what about this required new hardware?" (Watch Dogs, Titanfall). When you're having to do these HD ports to try to entice people, you're really showing how desperate you.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Aiddon said:
When you're having to do these HD ports to try to entice people, you're really showing how desperate you.
What, you mean like Wind Waker HD? :p

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Stavros Dimou said:
[facepalm]
Please, don't!
You're stating obvious.
I know, smug superiority feels great, but compassion is also valuable.
Learn some empathy and stop rubbing salt into wounds.
Thank you!

MirenBainesUSMC

Aug 10, 2014
Not much to use at the moment. Some people like the indie stuff but I didn't buy a supposed next gen console to play mini-games. Only thing I have is Shadow fall because I'm not really into some of the other ones that have come out. It probably also has to do with the fact that I built a pretty good long standing PC Game/Work system. Wolfienstien New Order looks great on my PC and it was cheaper as well. Then I have all the RTS and RPG franchises to catch up with due to not being able to play any of the PC games for a long while.

It gathers layers of dust of which I clean once in a while and used for Netflix. You are just going to have to put it aside for now and wait upon the library to gather steam. Never be persuaded by the current band wagon of " YOU MUST BUY THIS!", particularly with such things as consoles. I think most people didn't get a PS3 until a few years in, its not different today that it was before in terms of content.

I would agree with many that had already chimed in --- its a long term investment in which you buy the console when you can find it cheaper or happen to bump into a real good deal. Once you get the system then you can basically pick and choose what you'll want to play later on. If you like something now? Wait a few months for a price drop. Unless you are one of those players/consumers that has to have the latest stuff or you are very deeply involved in playing Multi-player with your friends, one shouldn't rush into such things.

Observing some active gamer posts, many probably have over 35 games they still need to play on the PS3 let alone worrying about new content for their PS4. Just be blessed that you can even afford to get such things during these times of belt tightening, it could be worse --- they could all be unattainable and one would have nothing to play.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
My friend says the same thing about his XBone (he got as a gift): no games he wants for it. The only game he has is eye on is the re-release of GTA V...a game that's been out for a year and he's already played through most of it on the 360.
Rozalia1 said:
Not using? I can only assume you mean online, well to that I say plus is enough on its own and never needed the online requirement to have value, but I understand that it makes sense as a business move. Anyway it'd be 2 PS4 games extra for you a month on that platform alone so they might put up something you'll be surprised to enjoy. I know I'm only into visual novels now because they put Virtue's last reward up on Plus.

Anyway one thing people often miss is that you don't need to game on a singular platform 7 days a week all year round for it to be "good".
But it does seem like they're trying to make it that way. I'm not interested in ps4 (never even considered xbone) because don't want to subscribe to plus. I don't have time or drive to get any value out of all the little giveaways. I buy a couple of games a year (if there are even that many worth getting) and I tend to just get into those. But I would still have to pay for plus because so much of the game content now a days (of most games at this point) is online multiplayer.
The 'wise' business move is also a dick move and is the reason I'm not getting a ps4. I hate to become one of the pc master race but at this point consoles are just becoming PCs with less options and more monthly fees.