Anyone else disappointed with their New Console Purchase

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
I bought a PS4 mostly because it was the first console I could afford to buy at launch instead of waiting for half a generation, and I'm very happy with my purchase. Of course there aren't too many AAA titles out yet, but anyone buying a console at launch expecting swaths of new games coming out in the first year is delusional.

I'm bummed too that most games coming out on PS4 this year have been/will be basically last gen ports, but we all knew this when we bought the damn things. We knew what we were getting into. Xbox 360 and PS3 didn't start picking up until 2007.

I have a bunch of great indie games (most of which I got for free*), Killzone 4, Infamous 3 and superior versions of FFXIV, TLoU, Watch Dogs, DW8, AC4, Ground Zeroes and Skylanders, with a decent number of new games coming out in the fall. For year one, I think that's perfectly acceptable. Sure, I could have gotten most of my PS4 games on PS3 instead and saved $400, but that's what early adoption means.

And since I'm Canadian, I got it for $50 less than if I had chosen to wait until next year to buy it.

MeTalHeD said:
What's the point of releasing a console when there aren't any or many games to go with it? I don't think it's to a console's benefit that it means he has to wait 2 to 3 years for it to start getting good. Then why not release it just before those games are released?
Nobody wants to make games for unreleased systems. The few studios that do have to rush the games to meet the console's release date, and expose themselves to heavy criticism for it - just look what happened to most launch titles. A lot of studios will always choose to wait until the systems are out (or at least very close to coming out) before they start their first game on it. Waiting for more games before releasing the system isn't going to help.

Sack of Cheese

Sep 12, 2011
Just got a WiiU recently! I'm going through all the Wii games I wanted to play, plus the new WiiU games too. Very satisfying experience so far. Although I have to say the Wiimotes thing is a bit silly and sometimes they don't work as I expect.

Looking forward to get a PS4 when Bloodborne comes out as well.

Willstown

Borderline Crazy Cat Man
Nov 20, 2013
Not disappointed at all. I early adopted and enjoyed the hell out of Black Flag, Killzone, Lego Marvel etc, I did find myself playing the PS3 more for a period after the initial release.... but that's not a problem. I had no intention of casting aside my old console when there's still so much gaming to do on it.

In the last few weeks I've had Infamous: 2nd Son completed, started out with the stunning Last of Us Remastered (was certain enough it would come out on the PS4 to not buy it on the 3) and Sniper Elite 3 with Tomb Raider DE waiting in the wings. End of August it's Metro: Redux and the Infamous spin off to come. Does feel like for me at least the console is coming to the fore.

Watchdogs was the drop off. Started out ok, just didn't feel very exciting.

I get that some of the above games are also available on the previous gen but I'd like them to look as good as possible. It's the same reason PC gamers will upgrade kit to get the best visual experience. TLOU looks amazing on the 4.

I've even enjoyed the indies like Contrast and Stick it to the Man from PS+. Never regretted buying the PS4 at all but I have been glad my faithful PS3 has been around as well with it's backlog of PS+ games and recent sale purchases to plow through.

SmugFrog

Ribbit
Sep 4, 2008
Credence said:
I know that I'd be far more pissed off right now if I'd bought an XBone.
That's funny. After Microsoft's fiasco before the XBone release, I swore I wasn't going to get one. Their "always online" plan (being in the military, that doesn't work for me), and they couldn't even really decide what their console was going to do exactly.

Even so, I received an XBone for Christmas last year. I'm paranoid about getting any console on release after the whole "red ring" fiasco with the 360's. My wife was the one that really wanted it because she saw how it interfaces with the TV, and she knew that I, of course, would enjoy playing games on a new console. 1 year later, they still haven't fixed the user interface and the amount of available (good) games is severely lacking. That's pretty much the standard for any console release though.

The games I own so far are what I received at Christmas, CoD: Ghosts (which, I had no plans to purchase after reading reviews - it's a fun game but the story is abysmal) and Assassin's Creed IV, which I've spent the most time playing. There's also the free games MS has given out to gold members, which aren't too bad. I love the ability to yell out "Xbox record that" and have it save the last 30 seconds or something as a clip I can show off. With the impending release of GTA V, I'll probably buy another copy so I have it for the XBone.

When the resume game feature works, it's great. I love being able to look something up on the web or go back to the TV, the ability to multitask, and then come back to my game.

Most of the use of my Xbox One is a youtube browser, internet browsing occasionally (mostly for streaming music from grooveshark). What surprised me is how much we constantly use it in conjunction with the TV. I have 5 kids, and I can't tell you how great it is to be able to say, "Xbox mute", "Xbox volume up (down)" or "Xbox watch Nick Junior" without having to go find where the 2 year old stashed the remote. THAT what I'm doing most with my Xbox One; using it as an overpriced attachment to my cable box.

I'm most disappointed with the user interface. That is probably my biggest complaint about the XBone. They designed the interface to be similar to Windows 8, and stripped away everything that made a good 360 interface. In their rush to get the console out, it's like a gamer hadn't even tested or used the thing. So much potential wasted there - though I know at some point the GUI will be fixed and updated, with radical changes for better or worse.

I worry that with my console being on 24/7 because of the use it gets with the TV, it could die an early death. Hopefully their hardware is built of better stuff than their previous console release.

So I'm not disappointed overall. I'm enjoying it for what it does, but sadly it's not used for games that often right now.

bojackx

Nov 14, 2010
Well I recently picked up a Wii U while I was in the US and I'm pretty happy with it. I've got 9 games for it and I'm excited for what's to come, so I'd say I'm not disappointed at all with my purchase. I wish there was a decent Pokemon game for it but that hasn't been the case on home consoles since (actually, completely restricted to) the Gamecube.

I can entirely understand why someone would be disappointed with a PS4 or Xbox One purchase though, the number of exclusives on those two is pathetic. I wouldn't worry too much though, since I've seen a few titles that are coming that seem promising to me (No Man's Sky and the newest Ratchet and Clank to name two).

MeTalHeD

Feb 19, 2014
DirgeNovak said:
MeTalHeD said:
What's the point of releasing a console when there aren't any or many games to go with it? I don't think it's to a console's benefit that it means he has to wait 2 to 3 years for it to start getting good. Then why not release it just before those games are released?
Nobody wants to make games for unreleased systems. The few studios that do have to rush the games to meet the console's release date, and expose themselves to heavy criticism for it - just look what happened to most launch titles. A lot of studios will always choose to wait until the systems are out (or at least very close to coming out) before they start their first game on it. Waiting for more games before releasing the system isn't going to help.
Yeah but...doesn't it make more sense to say "hey developer people, here's the architecture for our new console. Programme away. You have two years to make some killer titles for it"? I remember getting a demo disc with my Playstation 1. I bought at least three of the games that were from the disc. It just seems odd to be sitting with a $400 brick for two years before it starts getting good, without even some demos.

I know, I know...it's the way the world is going...developers want you to preorder so they make some cash before people realise they bought complete trash. But I can dream about good titles coming out soon after a new console is released, can't I?

Can't I?

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I wish the Wii U wasn't shunned by third parties but other than that I'm having fun with it. There are some third party games after all and, the first party games have been a lot of fun for the most part...for the most part, Wii Sports Club was a huge disappointment for me. I'll grab Watch Dogs for the Wii U once it hits $20 because screw Ubisoft but when it comes to the other current consoles, I don't see myself grabbing a PS4 until late 2015 - early 2016. The main reason is that most of the PS4 games out now that I want are also on the PS3...and the two PS4 exclusives that I do want are still priced above $50 anyway.