Anyone else getting tired of super hero movies?

Nomanslander

Feb 21, 2009
Avengers was probably the biggest movie of 2012. You had the likes of MovieBob and millions of others praised it to infinity and back; and all I could think at the time was was "oh, fuckin' hell! now they're going to make more of these."

So, you have a guy in tights, wearing his underwear over them, and he lives in a morally black and white world, and the bad guy is only as good as how well he goes "WHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAAAAA!"

Okay, okay, I know there's more depth to it then just that. But, I've really grown tired of it. And that's a feeling you can't really reason with. It was Avengers that really confirmed this feeling for me, because I felt nothing but contempt for it, and how big, loud, and dumb - yet great for children - that movie was.

Even with Batman flicks (favorite comic series ever adapted into movies), I eventually grew weary of Heath Ledger's performance, and realize the rest of the movies really weren't that great (good, but not great). Funny enough, the last super hero-anything that I actually enjoyed was the animated version of The Return of the Dark Knight. Reason being, for once, we had a Batman (himself) that was interesting, even more so than his villains (top nods to the 80s comic adaptation, and Peter Weller's voice acting in it). That and... I guess because it was a cartoon overall, and I prefer that medium over live action when it comes to super hero movies. It suits it better.

But anyways, every genre movie is a product of its time. And this is a genre in movies I feel - like zombie movies - have gone far enough.

Plus I agree with David Cronenberg, and feel like these movies can never be the high art set pieces so many fans would wish them to be.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/02/david-cronenberg-addresses-his-take-on-comic-book-movies-and-his-controversial-the-dark-knight-rises-comments

Anyone else want to add to this?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
So it's a fad. It'll wear out eventually. Like westerns. The minute I got tired of super hero movies I simply stopped watching and I was none the worse.

Uhura

This ain't no hula!
Aug 30, 2012
Yeah, I'm starting to get bored with them. It's not that I don't enjoy superhero movies (because I do), but the current 'superhero movie phase' has already lasted for the past 12-ish years and I really hope Hollywood film studios move on to something else soon.

AgentCooper

Dec 16, 2010
I'm not tired of superhero movies in the least. I'm really looking forward to this years offerings.

I've read comics for years now and to see something you been reading most of your life just pop on the screen is just pure magic for me. I'm quite aware that most of the movies are made for general appeal and that's fine with me. I get it and knowing something like The Dark Phoenix Saga wouldn't really translate well on the big screen.

Vegosiux

May 18, 2011
I despise any character that takes a concept like "justice", "righting the wrong", or similar, and then makes it a show with themselves as the main character. By extension, I despise most modern superheros. "Watch and be amazed by my superior asskicking" is not being a hero, it's not being the one to bring justice, it's just being a sorry attention seeker who has to show off at every turn, and just happens to have a superpower or two.

By extension of that extension, I sometimes want to burn down the Internet when I make a mistake of surfing into 9gag, reddit or any meme sites.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Westerns were a thing for... like over half a century super hero movies have been around for... what like 3 decades and experience spectacular failure and death at least once during that time. Frankly I'm more sick of detective shows on TV.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
If Hollywood can produce a relatively good lines of non Superheroes films in a year then I would be fine for them to not release superheroes related film.
As if that will happen seeing how they are now pumping out more Twilight related romance from novels into films now that they see teen girls make good profit.
Beside do you really want them to stop making superheroes film since what else is there without them? Original well crafted movies? HA!
The day Hollywood stop making them will be the same when Westen audience stop wataching anime. You know how those people who don't like anime deal with that? They just don't watch it!

HardkorSB

Mar 18, 2010
Consider this:

1. These movies keep getting better as time goes by.
2. Some of the things in comic books were impossible to do realistically in a movie even 10 years ago but special effects are so good now that practically any visuals can be created with a budget big enough.
3. These movies are making more money than anything else in the cinemas right now. There's a few big entertainment companies that would go bankrupt if it wasn't for superhero movies and products related to them.

Ieyke

Jul 24, 2008
Tired of superhero movies?
I lack the capacity to adequately project my massively derisive scoffing at your ludicrous notion in text form.

Dude, move to another planet. The superhero movies haven't even started yet.

Seriously.
HAVE. NOT. EVEN. STARTED. YET.

Anything before Iron Man was meaningless testing to determine viability of the genre.

Iron Man was the beginning of the first episode. Avengers was the end of that first episode.

Spider-Man has launched for real this time, and the franchise is looking to cross studios and integrate Spider-Man into the official Marvel Movieverse alongside the Avengers.

Fantastic Four is about to reboot and will almost certainly be doing the same.

Iron Man 3 comes out this year and will be the beginning of Marvel's second "episode" that won't end until Avengers 2.

Man Of Steel comes out this year and is looking to be the start of DC's first "episode" which will theoretically culminate in the first Justice League movie.

The Wolverine and Days Of Future Past are looking to stitch together the original X-Men movies with the new era of X-Men movies, and don't be at all surprised if Wolverine does a studio cross-over (if Spider-Man successfully establishes that paradigm) and shows up alongside The Avengers at some point.

Marvel just got control of Daredevil back, and they're getting ready to make a version that doesn't suck.

Yea, if you don't like superhero movies... I find that hilarious.

AngloDoom

Aug 2, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
So it's a fad. It'll wear out eventually. Like westerns. The minute I got tired of super hero movies I simply stopped watching and I was none the worse.
This is, by far, the best response that I have ever seen to this sort of thread.

I didn't like all the 50 Shades rip-offs flooding into Waterstones and WHSmiths a while back, so I just went and read something else. There's really not much more to it than that.

Ragsnstitches

Dec 2, 2009
Overexposure is easily countered. Don't expose yourself. Despite common misconceptions, just because something exists does not necessarily mean you have to experience it. This is especially true for superfluous interests like mass media consumption.

Unless the mere existence of these films twists your gut (which is a different issue altogether), one can simply NOT see films with overt superhero motifs and achieve the same result as having no Superhero themed films being made.

Btoken

Mar 19, 2009
To add to your wonderful post, leyke.....Suck it, haters! HA! Avengers 2, Iron Man 3, Cap 2, Hulk 3 If you don't like comic book movies... Go find another genre and watch that! I won't even complain what it is.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
Honestly I like superheroes and I love comic book movies so I will just sit here and enjoy the ride.

bastardofmelbourne

Dec 11, 2012
It's only going to get worse...

Seriously, though. One problem with the sudden boom in the profitability of superhero films is that it drastically increases the chances of cynical movie executives pushing the creation of increasingly formulaic and uninspired adaptations of whatever licenses they calculate will make them the most money; case in point, the Amazing Spiderman, which was so average it was mediocre.

When superhero films were considered risky bets, it made sure that people only backed the best horses - the best actors, the best directors, the best screenplay. Case in point: Nolan's Batman series. The moment a superhero franchise - or any franchise for that matter - becomes seen as a safe bet, you get churned-out pieces of shit designed to boost merchanising revenue. Case in point: Schumacher's Batman series.

Those films are shit, and audiences hate them, but they turn a profit anyway until [audience hate > the price of a movie ticket], and then superhero films are back in the doldrums as risky bets and the cycle starts again.

The problem for us over the next few years is this;

1. The Avengers is the most successful superhero film ever, so the cycle is going to be longer this time round.
2. The Avengers was the risky bet. It could have bombed hard, so they made sure it was awesome. Now that it's succeeded, Avengers 2 is a safe bet, and so will Avengers 3 and 4.

All of the new Marvel films being put through the works are seen as guaranteed moneymakers. So you're going to get two more shitty Spiderman films. You're going to get an X-Men reboot, probably another Hulk reboot; maybe they'll try Blade again. There will be two more Thor and Captain America films, rapidly declining in quality.

Korenith

Oct 11, 2010
Ragsnstitches said:
Overexposure is easily countered. Don't expose yourself. Despite common misconceptions, just because something exists does not necessarily mean you have to experience it. This is especially true for superfluous interests like mass media consumption.

Unless the mere existence of these films twists your gut (which is a different issue altogether), one can simply NOT see films with overt superhero motifs and achieve the same result as having no Superhero themed films being made.
Adding to this point (and some of the others already made) the only real issue I have with the fad of superhero movies is that it sends funds away from more risky projects that might really do something incredible but since there will ALWAYS be the "safe bet" genres that do this I'm not really bothered. It's like anything else. I few good ones will be remembered but the rest will be forgotten in ten years time. At least the superhero movies usually have some fun visuals and decent action sequences.

And I think Cronenburg kind of has a point but ultimately any subject, even one as well established as Batman, can be turned into his definition of high art if a writer/director has the balls and the freedom to do something really spectacular with it even if it means flying in the face of potential fan-rage. I think Nolan got close with The Dark Knight and hopefully somebody will top it one day.

Misterian

Elite Member
Oct 3, 2009
Country
United States
Ieyke said:
I lack the capacity to adequately project my massively derisive scoffing at your ludicrous notion in text form.

Seriously.

Anything before Iron Man was meaningless testing to determine viability of the genre.

Iron Man was the beginning of the first episode. Avengers was the end of that first episode.

Spider-Man has launched for real this time, and the franchise is looking to cross studios and integrate Spider-Man into the official Marvel Movieverse alongside the Avengers.

Iron Man 3 comes out this year and will be the beginning of Marvel's second "episode" that won't end until Avengers 2.

Man Of Steel comes out this year and is looking to be the start of DC's first "episode" which will theoretically culminate in the first Justice League movie.

The Wolverine and Days Of Future Past are looking to stitch together the original X-Men movies with the new era of X-Men movies, and don't be at all surprised if Wolverine does a studio cross-over (if Spider-Man successfully establishes that paradigm) and shows up alongside The Avengers at some point.

Marvel just got control of Daredevil back, and they're getting ready to make a version that doesn't suck.

I concur with you on that.

I think, if anything, filmmakers have been learning to approach the Superhero genre the way it was meant to be approached from the very start (in my opinion anyway).

The Avengers was basically cemented getting mainstream audiences to accept everything that makes the Marvel Universe (as well as the Superhero genre in general) awesome, which included.

* Complete disregard of genres as separate entities (something the Silver Age comics basically has complete license to do)

* Heroes with colorful costumes

* Sprawling, inter-character continuites

And so on.

And you mention there being an upcoming X-men movie? Well, if so, I personally hope to see Hugh Jackman in Wolverine's trademark yellow-and-black costume, if only for few minutes. But I suspect even with the success of the Avengers, Mainstream audiences might somehow still find it going a step too far.

Nexxis

Jan 16, 2012
I'm not really tired of superhero movies. I'm more tired of the "let's make them as realistic and as gritty as possible" concept going on right now. I prefer it when superhero movies try to have some fun with the concept and be colorful and entertaining.

barbzilla

He who speaks words from mouth!
Dec 6, 2010
While I may think they do don't a good job with super hero movies, I am in no way tired of them either. They are generally better than most of the drivel that comes out lately (with some notable exceptions), and they have a wealth of back stories to pull from. The only issue being they tend to bastardize the background stories and attitudes of the heroes.

Nimzabaat

Feb 1, 2010
Misterian said:
Ieyke said:

Seriously.

I concur with you on that.

I think, if anything, filmmakers have been learning to approach the Superhero genre the way it was meant to be approached from the very start (in my opinion anyway).

The Avengers was basically cemented getting mainstream audiences to accept everything that makes the Marvel Universe (as well as the Superhero genre in general) awesome, which included.

* Complete disregard of genres as separate entities (something the Silver Age comics basically has complete license to do)

* Heroes with colorful costumes

* Sprawling, inter-character continuites

And so on.

And you mention there being an upcoming X-men movie? Well, if so, I personally hope to see Hugh Jackman in Wolverine's trademark yellow-and-black costume, if only for few minutes. But I suspect even with the success of the Avengers, Mainstream audiences might somehow still find it going a step too far.
Yeah I agree with both of you, super hero movies are just starting to get good. (I really want Marvel to buy back X-Men though). Now is it just me or is a video game website the wrong forum to post an "I am old and dead inside" thread? Just sayin...