Anyone else getting tired of super hero movies?

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
If I were I'd be more concerned about the guy with a gun pointed at your head who is forcing you to watch these superhero movies. Seriously man get your priorities straight.

Jun 11, 2009
Ieyke said:
Iron Man was the beginning of the first episode. Avengers was the end of that first episode.
I agree with what you expressed in your post, but I feel I should point out that The Incredible Hulk (the Edward Norton one) was the first in the Marvel Cinematic Universe thing that Marvel has going now.

OT:

Pretty much what Ieyke said. Superhero movies haven't even gotten started yet, and considering that they're the most profitable genre in the world right now (like, the entire planet earth), it isn't going to stop any time soon.

Which I find great. I was never a comic book enthusiast, but I have loved most of the recent superhero movies and I'm very excited to see what the future for them holds. Personally, I think they're actually going to be treated with more respect, if anything. Nolan (and, hopefully, the Iron Man movies, specifically Iron Man 3) have proven/will prove that superhero movies can be, if not high art, at least taken seriously as legitimate storytelling vehicles.

Really, what I want to see the most is a Luke Cage movie starring Terry Crews or Isaiah Mustafa. He's a great unsung hero, and they would be perfect for the role.

thesilentman

What this
Jun 14, 2012
I'm not getting tired of the superhero movies; I've just become tired of the genre itself. Yes guys, I know we all liked the Dark Knight, so now can we please go on and look for some other interesting ideas. I don't mind if they find ways to make the genre interesting, just if they keep trying to do the TDK thing of taking a darker tone, which is finally slowing down a bit.

Reptiloid

Nov 10, 2010
Not really tired of it... Never had any interest in superheroes, nor have I ever been much into comic books and stuff. Perhaps that's why Dark Knight was kinda "meh" for me. Don't get me wrong, it was a competently made quality film, but a lack of personal investment towards the characters and story didn't make it into the groundbreaking masterpiece I was expecting from the hype. There are far worse fads out there though, and at least many of superhero movies seem to genuinely try, and keep improving.

afroebob

Oct 1, 2011
Superhero movies aren't something that are just 'a fad' in my eyes, at least not in the traditional sense where its around for a few years and then dies out. What separates them from the typical movie fad is that comic book movies are movies based off comic books. Your probably thinking 'well DUH!' but lets just take a second to think about what that means. Comic books can have literally decades upon decades of different stories, interpretations, and developments for a single character and directors have just now started getting REALLY good at using that. Christopher Nolan's Batman trilogy (easily one of the best trilogies of all time) base not just the names of characters off comic books but events and plotlines, too. For example, The Dark Knight's relation between Two-Face and Joker was based heavily off of Batman: Long Halloween and we all know how wonderful that works. With all these stories and characters to draw inspiration from there has never been a better time for comic book movies.

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
I'm sorry but this entire genre would have serious lack of cool issues without Robert Downey Jr. and Hugh Jackman heading up both successful heads of the Marvel film transition.

I say successful because its not like Thor was any good in fact it was an over marketed piece of crap that probably cost more than it made at the box office or even in DVD sales. Captain America and The Hulk both suffered from effectively the same problems and B grade actors that Thor did.

Of the X-Men films, to be frank, only X-Men: Origins (Wolverine), could be considered even acceptably good (Even Sir Patrick Stewart can't save some things) and that was because Hugh Jackman was BORN to play James Howlett/Logan. Hugh Jackman isn't even what I'd call a GOOD actor, hes just an INCREDIBLE Wolverine which makes up the difference. Conversely Ryan Reynolds was hardly born to play Deadpool, Taylor Kitsch was the dumbest vision of Gambit I've ever seen.

The stunning stand out in this entire comic to film transition truly is Robert Downey Jr's rendition of Tony Stark and to be honest I wouldn't even say that Robert Downey Jr's Tony Stark even fits the canon Tony Stark but its just so neurotically cool that its fun to watch. The whole Iron Man thing is just the icing on the cake in the case of the Iron Man franchise, its Downey's acting and his presentation of what a modern era Tony Stark would be is what makes it so good.

DC Universe? Superman hasn't worked seriously since probably the first movie Christopher Reeves did...and again its because you had an actor that was born for the role. Batman? Christian Bale has not been all that convincing, he works in the suit, but then again so did Michael Keaton, if a suit can make Michael Keaton a super hero its not that hard to take someone as unexpressively boring as Christian Bale and do pretty much the same thing. Christian Bale's Bruce Wayne is generic, uninteresting, patchwork GQ billionaire personified with very little actual character behind the character beyond the canon events of Bruce Wayne's life. To be frank the entire Batman franchise since Bale put on the mask has only truly stood out due to Heath Ledgers Joker...which was probably the most incredible filtering and purification of what the "Joker" would truly be in a more "real" world than a comic. It was Heath Ledger that made the Dark Knight, not the Dark Knight himself. To be frank, take anyone you want, and put them around all that high tech CGI and movie model work and they could probably do the same job Christian Bale has done in regards to elevating that franchise....which is little to none.

Simple facts are I'm not tired of super hero movies, I'm tired of super heroes being portrayed by actors who can't do anything with the roles other than "play" the part.

Hugh Jackman as Wolverine is much the same as Christopher Reeves was to Superman, so perfectly designed to BE that character that you simply associate them WITH that character for the rest of time. And Robert Downey Jr. IS the cool factor of the Iron Man franchise, sure the CGI is fantastic, but without Downey's vision of Tony Stark, Iron Man would probably have turned up quite a bit like Thor did. With some barely passable actor that could vaguely appear to be the primary protagonist. (Lets face it, Thor was not a tall skinny rocker dude, not in any vision of the character. And Thor vs Hulk was one of the greatest hero vs hero rivalries of ALL time in the early Marvel Universe) and while their CGI Hulk is pretty good, I'm never going to believe the rivalry between this skinny long haired C movie actor and their CGI Hulk, that they attempted to allude to in The Avengers...it'll be about as good as...well, Thor was, which was, really, bad.

So yeah, more movies, less badly cast actors please.

TheRookie8

Nov 19, 2009
Honestly, I'm not tired of superhero movies, but I am tired with the rigid ties to the source material.

For instance, I am looking forward to the new Superman movie. I like it's tone and the dialogue, and how it looks like those involved with the project want to capture the feeling of Superman, a man who is like a god among people, but struggles to find a place between acceptance and the power. That's interesting.

...I do not, however, like the look of the apparent villain. I don't know who he is from the comics, only that he looks silly. I'm sure that he may very well be a complex and entertaining character...but he looks silly. And I can't help but feel that he looks silly because the creators want him to look like his comic book counterpart.

The existence of a super villain is part of a formula that states that one must be there to oppose the superhero...and that's limiting. I propose something fresh!

To that end, I propose a cinematic version of the comic book series, "Powers". It's a story about two homicide detectives in a world of superheroes, and how they clean up the messes left behind by the super-powered people. It's unique, it's thought-provoking, it's good.

I'm not tired of superhero movies, so long as they keep exploring new ideas.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Johnny Novgorod said:
So it's a fad. It'll wear out eventually. Like westerns. The minute I got tired of super hero movies I simply stopped watching and I was none the worse.
Fuff! I'm still waiting for the vampire fad to die...again.

I don't mind superhero flicks. I just hate all the brooding dark emo superheros we're getting. I grew up loving the original Superman Movies (especially 2), this new direction is just wrong. It was fine with Batman, but not all heros are dark and serious. They crapped out a Spider-Man flick doing this too and it was depressing to see the frnchise whored out so thoughtlessly.

If the movie is good I welcome it regardless of genre...

...and as long as there aren't any blasted vampires.

M-E-D The Poet

Sep 12, 2011
Tired of it? Tired of waiting for them ayeah!

alright sorry I had too.

Well to be honest no I'm not because I prefer superhero movies as "action" movies to watch instead of the usual "War" movies the only movie like that I could recently stand was Battleship but that must've been cause I'm a Punk/Hardcore man and that movie was oddly aimed at our corner with what the likes of Dropkick Murphys and Hatebreed being referenced open and often

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Not tired at all. We could do with a few more deconstructions though :p.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
The sooner people start watching DC and Marvel superhero movies that are in the hands of DC and Marvel companies and not pay for those that are OUTSIDE of those companies the better things will be.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I'm over it. Not because it's about super hero's and it's the same justice shit, but because they're all so poorly written with either crappy or stupid childish jokes and average CGI all the way through. The Avengers was painful.

Maybe I should just say I'm tired of poor writing and retard jokes in general.

I completely disagree with David though, whether it's childish and what he finds interesting has fuck all to do in how you judge high art.

Andy of Comix Inc

Apr 2, 2010
I'm sick of superheroes. I'm not sick of superhero movies. Is that strange? I really like these world-spanning, fantasy sci-fi epics they keep churning out. Thor was like a modern goddamn Masters of the Universe for the first and last act... Iron Man is about rich dudes building massive weapons and robot suits... Batman is about a ninja who is swinging about like an awesome dude and Green Lantern... well, look, it was a shit movie, but he went into space! There was an alien council of galactic defenders! YEAH! That's a great idea for a film! Why do we need what's-his-face in a green glowing power suit for that? JUST MAKE THAT!

But there's that bit attached to "superhero" where it's like... the superhero is the superhero, he or she has to have a unique hook or defining "bit"... they have to be eccentric, contrasting personalities... why? Why do you have to make a fantasy sprawling sci-fi epic into a superhero film? I love that we get more films like that but besides a few outliers they end up being superhero films. They don't have to be! You can have a film like that with a hero and you don't need to make it a superhero film. Fuck Iron Man 3 and Thor, make a film about robot men fighting and some kind of fantasy-medieval-sci-fi schlock epic! And.. and-

...ooooooooooh.

Abomination said:
The sooner people start watching DC and Marvel superhero movies that are in the hands of DC and Marvel companies and not pay for those that are OUTSIDE of those companies the better things will be.
Pah! DC and Marvel? You have no idea how badly I want that The Goon film to be finished and released.

(Very.)

lechat

Dec 5, 2012
i will not get tired of super hero movies until we see a real dc marvel crossover
at that point i would have seen all the genre has to offer and would prolly call it a day

for those that can not get into superhero movies or haven't given them a chance make sure you check out "kickass" "super" and "griff the invisible
those movies have less of an "america fuck ye... i mean super heroes fuck yeah!!" attitude are are less focused on blowing shit up and more on character development