Anyone else hate British cuteness?

Gardenia

Oct 30, 2008
Pedro The Hutt said:
At least Muggles sounds like a word. =p Kal'sur or Dor'salim looks like something that would happen after someone's cat jumped on your keyboard. And random apostrophes in names stopped being cool along with ultimate Gary-Stu Drizzt Do'urden. =p
Yeah, it sounds like someone put a few coins in the Random Fantasy Name Generator.
OT: I thought Tolkien pretty much invented that kind of naming, and he was british.

Cgull

Behind You
Oct 31, 2009
Well, I'm British and, I'm told, a little bit cute, does this mean you hate me, because that would just be mean.

Incidentally, congratulations on being, to my knowledge, the only person on The Escapist forums to start a form of 'Is it only me...' thread and actually be the only one. It's a moment, nay, an event I never thought would happen. I salute you.

Oh, also, British cuteness based on one fantasy author? A brave move, I counter with Joe Abercrombie, another British fantasy author. Find the cute in those books my friend (in amongst all the awesome).

Scarecrow

Jun 27, 2010
When I think of the British I think of being beat up, glassed, shouted at and being made to eat greasy food. I DO NOT think of cuteness.

Edit:
Raziel_Likes_Souls said:
Your avatar and user name are great. Good to see a LOK fan. So few about nowadays.

Turing '88

Feb 24, 2011
Jedisolo75 said:
Red Dwarf, Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Black Adder, uh... Dad's army, all extremely British comedies that are all great.
Really, You are going to put Black Adder up there like it's funny, like it's in the same category as Monty Python and Red Dwarf? Worst, comedy ever. It makes me want to shove pins in my ears and eyes so that I don't have to see/hear it anymore.

I love Red Dwarf though, and Faulty Towers, and I am a huge Monty Python fan, but I may never forgive the British for Black Adder.
What! Blasphemy! Blackadder was brilliant, better than Faulty Towers and Red Dwarf and much less hit and miss than Monty Python (though they are all great).

Plus it had Hugh Laurie and fucking Steven Fry. What more is there to say than that?

Also, A Bit of Fry & Laurie, how good was that!

EDIT: Also, great ending too. Last part of the last episode is so sad, it's definitely one of the greatest moments in TV history.

ParadoxHunter

May 12, 2011
You have used the wrong word. I would describe our proficiency with made up words as "twee". I'm not sure if you use that word in America, but that is the correct term for it. Might have something to do with the fact that we invented the English language in the first place, so naturally, we have a better understanding of it.

EDIT: PlatonicRapist posted an almost identical comment to mine. Spooky coincidence, no?

GrinningManiac

Jun 11, 2009
Firstly - no such thing as British cuteness. You're applying one word which (in YOUR opinion) is slightly childish to an entire 1,000-year-old culture? The hell, man?

Secondly - "Muggle" and other worlds aren't nessecarily childish or 'cutesy'. Your complain seems to be that everything isn't given stupid names with meaningless apostraphes. You're complaining that every aspect of fiction isn't homogenized and clichéd?

What the hell do the apostraphes and bizarre names say to you? They sound exciting? Wow, on your own, mate. To me they reek of dull, uncreative stupidness. The apostraphes don't even have a meaning - they're just to spice up crappy meaningless gibberish.

May 28, 2009
I face palmed reading this, and just like everyone else here I would like to point out that the entire British cuteness argument is based on a slang phrase in a children's book.

And thus holds no real sway, so lay off the guy.

Little Duck

Diving Space Muffin
Oct 22, 2009
Where in the UK are you talking about. Cos the only parts of the UK which are cute are the same ones which can't be seen in this image:

lostlevel

Nov 6, 2008
lunncal said:
SillyBear said:
Mate, I've got no idea what you are talking about.

Most things that come out of Britain are tremendously dull and seedy and dark as far as art and entertainment goes. The British are one of the most cynical people in the world.
Hey, our comedy is miles better than than anything America has produced! Red Dwarf, Monty Python, Fawlty Towers, Black Adder, uh... Dad's army, all extremely British comedies that are all great.

OT: I am going to agree with everyone asking what the hell you are talking about, OP. Got any more examples than that one?
In comparison we have a lot of variety compared to the american equivilent. Not to mention the varying styles of our top comedians. I think silly bear is confusing Cynicism with Satire.

As for OP what do you expect from a book that to start with was mainly for children.

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Little Duck said:
Where in the UK are you talking about. Cos the only parts of the UK which are cute are the same ones which can't be seen in this image:
So you mean the Shetland Islands, then? And, unless my eyes are worse than they used to be, Herm?

(and arguably Gibraltar and the Falklands...)

tahrey

Sep 18, 2009
Jamie Wroe said:
What! Blasphemy! Blackadder was brilliant, better than Faulty Towers and Red Dwarf and much less hit and miss than Monty Python (though they are all great).

Plus it had Hugh Laurie and fucking Steven Fry. What more is there to say than that?

EDIT: Also, great ending too. Last part of the last episode is so sad, it's definitely one of the greatest moments in TV history.
"Stephen fucking Fry" I think is how it's supposed to written. Get it right :D

And +1 on the almost constant brilliance of Blackadder and the... what word do I want here..? Sublime? Unmatched? statement of its closing minute.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
Harry Potter has cute names. Harry Potter is set in Britain. Therefore all of Britain has an obsession with stuff being cute. Wow.

I mean, if you want to tar an entire country of 60 million people, at least think of more than one example eh?

Turing '88

Feb 24, 2011
tahrey said:
"Stephen fucking Fry" I think is how it's supposed to written. Get it right :D

And +1 on the almost constant brilliance of Blackadder and the... what word do I want here..? Sublime? Unmatched? statement of its closing minute.
I toyed with "fucking Stephen fucking Fry" for a while but decided against it :)

And yes, 'unmatched' may be the closest mere words can come to describing that ending!

Cyanin

Dec 25, 2009
unbeatablemoody said:
If I didn't know better, I'd say it was all just a troll to be honest
And what a troll it was... Over 500 comments, he earned his reward. Kind of obvious when you see his username is irrelevant83. Not exactly a long-term user. =P