Anyone else take advantage of Six Flag's season pass sale?

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
So Six Flags is currently having a sale for its passes for the 2019 season (which are also good for the rest of the 2018 season) and I've decided to get myself some passes for La Ronde, Montreal's Six Flag park, since it seemed worth it. I got 3 passes that cost me 500$ Canadian with tax, a Gold Season Pass, a Premium Dinning Pass, and a Platinum Season Flash Pass.

I think it was a good deal, Season Pass gives me free access to the park and free parking (plus a refillable drink thing that's cheap to refill), dinning pass gets me a lunch, dinner and snack with every visit, and the flash pass cuts down the queue wait time by 90%. Total cost of a day trip would be 28$ for parking, 50$ for admission, 20$ for food and 80$ for the flash pass, or around 178$ per day trip, so I think the sale was a good deal for me.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
I remember going to Six Flags in my time in the States once. It was so young and at this point my only memory was climbing a wall with grips on it.

cathou

Souris la vie est un fromage
Apr 6, 2009
Zontar said:
So Six Flags is currently having a sale for its passes for the 2019 season (which are also good for the rest of the 2018 season) and I've decided to get myself some passes for La Ronde, Montreal's Six Flag park, since it seemed worth it. I got 3 passes that cost me 500$ Canadian with tax, a Gold Season Pass, a Premium Dinning Pass, and a Platinum Season Flash Pass.

I think it was a good deal, Season Pass gives me free access to the park and free parking (plus a refillable drink thing that's cheap to refill), dinning pass gets me a lunch, dinner and snack with every visit, and the flash pass cuts down the queue wait time by 90%. Total cost of a day trip would be 28$ for parking, 50$ for admission, 20$ for food and 80$ for the flash pass, or around 178$ per day trip, so I think the sale was a good deal for me.
yeah, i usually buy 4 gold pass for 48$ each. i dont really bother for the flash pass because i dont do a lot of roller coaster, my kids are too young to go in them anyway. i still enjoy the boomrang and it's always empty ! and we bring a lunch when we go, so no need for the food pass. i mostly go there for seing the fireworks anyway.

cathou

Apr 6, 2009
Marik2 said:
yeah, you wish. La Ronde is the least six flags park of all the six flags park. This is actually the real musical theme of la ronde...

Lil devils x_v1legacy

More Lego Goats Please!
May 17, 2011
Zontar said:

My family has been friends with the Wynne family for years so I have never and will never have to pay to go to six flags. I did not even realize there were six flags in Canada. Funny enough I did not even realize how big a deal his family was or six flags was until I read this post. They were always just local family friends here. My Dad worked with him a good bit many years ago, they grew up here and also attended the same university me and most my family did. I went to their house a few times while growing up, his son always wanted me to go work for him when I was bartending in college at his UFO bar it is so weird seeing this tbh.

Sep 24, 2008
I was in Montreal from 2004-2007.

Every year, my university friends and I planned to go to La Ronde. There were even College outings to it.

And they were always cancelled.

I know how to get to LaSalle better than I know where La Ronde is even located. I could freaking walk to the Biodome, and yet I don't think I've even seen a picture of La Ronde.

By the way, if you can get there, there are some KILLER outlet stores around Montreal. All over. Pick a direction away from the center of the city, travel a bit, and you'll hit an outlet mall.

OT: The most I ever got was a day pass. It helped with discounted food, we were paged when we were able to get to a ride so we didn't have to wait hours in line, so I spent a lot of time teaching the kids in our group to step their fighting game up. And even the adults.

The passes are worth it IF you're in a reasonable distance. I lived in Westchester County the last time I went to Six Flags Great Adventure. It was 2 hours and 45 minutes in absolutely glorious traffic. And given that I was one of the people who drove, I'd had to be the bad guy by saying "No, seriously, we should leave now if you don't want me to fall asleep somewhere on I-95 while going 65 miles per hour"

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
cathou said:
Marik2 said:
yeah, you wish. La Ronde is the least six flags park of all the six flags park. This is actually the real musical theme of la ronde...

I haven't heard that song in years and I was happy about that fact. One of the best things about the Six Flags buyout (you know, apart from reviving the dying park and heavily investing into it) was the fact they stopped using that stupid song and now the only place you'll hear it is kids in daycamp singing it on the bus when visiting, and they only remember the first cord.

Why did you do this to me? Why did you make me remember?

Lil devils x said:
I did not even realize there were six flags in Canada.
They only have one park up here, La Ronde. They bought a 64 year lease in 2001 from the city (who was the previous owner, who owned it since 1967 and will own it again come 2065) for 20 million dollars. A pittance compared to the hundred million they've invested into it so far. Revived the dying place is what they did, even if people ***** about how "oh it's so expensive now", yeah that's what happens when it's not being run at a multi-million dollar annual loss for the city.

The passes are apparently good at their other locations, so I'm thinking of going to Six Flags New England come my next vacation, just a three and a half hour drive away.

ObsidianJones said:
By the way, if you can get there, there are some KILLER outlet stores around Montreal. All over. Pick a direction away from the center of the city, travel a bit, and you'll hit an outlet mall.
That's even more true now then when you left, downtown's been on the downturn over the past decade, but that's been great for the area around it. Downtown core's also been expanding, most of Griffintown is now part of the core due to all the new high rise condos. They also tore down the overpass on the 10 between the old port and downtown, much nicer looking.

Sep 24, 2008
Zontar said:
That's even more true now then when you left, downtown's been on the downturn over the past decade, but that's been great for the area around it. Downtown core's also been expanding, most of Griffintown is now part of the core due to all the new high rise condos. They also tore down the overpass on the 10 between the old port and downtown, much nicer looking.

You're hurting all of my Nostalgia here. I remember Griffintown being the rundown section I used to pass through to get to Costco's.

And convincing me that I should look up Shaughnessy Village and see what's happened to it. I know Concordia finished their business building so long ago (I was there when they finished digging out and laying down the foundation for the building on Maisonneuve).

That tears it. I need to visit. All of my university friends went back to their countries or provinces, but it would be nice to see it with adult eyes.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
Yeah, on paper, you got a pretty sweet deal, but you?ll ultimately have to ensure you take advantage of it to reap the benefits.

A [girl]friend of mine bought me a season pass to Six Flags here in Dallas shortly after I moved here a few years ago; she knows I?m huge roller coaster nut, and this was the first time I?d lived within literal minutes of any theme park of real significance, but I think I only used it twice that summer? I love to ride rides, but pretty much everything else about theme parks is just exhausting: the crowds, the lines, the expensive prices for cheap trinkets, [in Texas] the heat, etc.; it?s a net positive experience at the end of the day, but not one I want to do more than once or twice a summer, particularly if there are no new attractions year over year. The last I went I think was the year a lady was killed on the [then] new Texas Giant, so atop the long lines and the heat, every time a ride creaked or wobbled, they shut it down for inspection. We waited for two hours to be told the Batman ride was shutting down with no estimated time to re-open. I was done immediately; I bought my $40 funnel cake, a $25 box of vinegar fries and stuffed my face during a heated march back to my car.

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
ObsidianJones said:
That tears it. I need to visit. All of my university friends went back to their countries or provinces, but it would be nice to see it with adult eyes.
Much has changed in the past decade, you'll be amazed by how different it is.

Xprimentyl said:
Yeah, on paper, you got a pretty sweet deal, but you?ll ultimately have to ensure you take advantage of it to reap the benefits.
Yeah, I only have to go three times and I'm already saving money. Won't be hard to do either, my friends and I always go during the celebrations in late October, and my little cousins are coming down next August (as they always do) and I'm planning on taking them for that, so I just need to visit once during the 2018/2019 season outside of that to make it worth it.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Not a chance. I hurt my back a decade ago. And since then I can't ride a roller coaster without feeling sore afterwards for a whole week.

cathou

Apr 6, 2009
Zontar said:
They only have one park up here, La Ronde. They bought a 64 year lease in 2001 from the city (who was the previous owner, who owned it since 1967 and will own it again come 2065) for 20 million dollars. A pittance compared to the hundred million they've invested into it so far. Revived the dying place is what they did, even if people ***** about how "oh it's so expensive now", yeah that's what happens when it's not being run at a multi-million dollar annual loss for the city.
actually, the most complain i hear about la ronde, is not that is expensive. it's that six flags do anything in their power not to invest in the park. The park is getting old, there's 38 attraction at La ronde, 24 of them are more than 15 years old, and only 7 or them was installed in the last 10 years. and i say installed, because half of those 7 had been dismantel in other six flags park, and installed in montreal. i know that la ronde have this particularity to be on an island, so they cannot expend at will, but we need at least one first class coaster, the Goliath is getting old.

fun fact, La ronde was designed by.... Walt Disney himself. however he never actually saw it, because i died a few months before the opening...

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
cathou said:
actually, the most complain i hear about la ronde, is not that is expensive. it's that six flags do anything in their power not to invest in the park. The park is getting old, there's 38 attraction at La ronde, 24 of them are more than 15 years old, and only 7 or them was installed in the last 10 years. and i say installed, because half of those 7 had been dismantel in other six flags park, and installed in montreal. i know that la ronde have this particularity to be on an island, so they cannot expend at will, but we need at least one first class coaster, the Goliath is getting old.
They could expand in a way that isn't cost prohibitive if they did it into the back parking lot, the real issue is supply and demand, namely there aren't enough people going to the park to justify that type of expansion. Six Flags could do better with the place (god knows we could use some new rides, I feel like the new Marcher we got this year was because of the lease land improvement obligations), but in my mind I see no difference in a coaster from another park and a new one altogether that was built for the island. Plus the place is still an improvement over the dilapidated state it was in in the 90s, with many of its rides being the type that just don't belong in a theme park anymore given the rise of carnivals. We'd never see the park in such a state had the city not sold it, the decay would have continued.

Which is something that really pisses me off. Had the park been run like a for-profit venture with the profits reinvested into the park itself, we'd probably have one of the best parks in the world, we'd definitely have the best park in Canada, and we'd possibly give the likes of the boys down in Orlando a run for their money. But no, it had to be run like every other corporation the City of Montreal owns.
fun fact, La ronde was designed by.... Walt Disney himself. however he never actually saw it, because i died a few months before the opening...
That's some fun trivia, and quite sad. He didn't get to see the last park he built.

cathou

Apr 6, 2009
Zontar said:
They could expand in a way that isn't cost prohibitive if they did it into the back parking lot, the real issue is supply and demand, namely there aren't enough people going to the park to justify that type of expansion.
actually, the first logical place to expend would be to complete the loop around the lac des dauphins. but that's out of the question because of the fireworks. you could expend the park. there's now an empty space where the cobra was, maybe they will build the new loop thing for next year.

who knows, maybe if montreal do get it's new metro line, we could use the dirt and rock from that to expend the island !

Zontar

Mad Max 2019
Feb 18, 2013
cathou said:
actually, the first logical place to expend would be to complete the loop around the lac des dauphins. but that's out of the question because of the fireworks. you could expend the park. there's now an empty space where the cobra was, maybe they will build the new loop thing for next year.
Yeah the lake isn't really an option because of the fireworks, brings in too much money and the city would never allow it anyway.
who knows, maybe if montreal do get it's new metro line, we could use the dirt and rock from that to expend the island !
Worked the first time, though I still don't understand why the extension to the blue line, and the kind-of-maybe planned extension to the yellow line and green line don't use the old technique of ripping the road apart, digging the hole, making the concrete structure and rebuilding the road we used for the core of the system. We built 80% of the metro in 2 years because of that, sure the traffic was a nightmare but it was worth it, and costs about the same as digging the slow way.

Also, when are we finally going to turn the orange line into the orange loop? God did not intent for that to be a weird U shape.

cathou

Apr 6, 2009
Zontar said:
Worked the first time, though I still don't understand why the extension to the blue line, and the kind-of-maybe planned extension to the yellow line and green line don't use the old technique of ripping the road apart, digging the hole, making the concrete structure and rebuilding the road we used for the core of the system. We built 80% of the metro in 2 years because of that, sure the traffic was a nightmare but it was worth it, and costs about the same as digging the slow way.

Also, when are we finally going to turn the orange line into the orange loop? God did not intent for that to be a weird U shape.
i think the problem is that in the 60's there was much less building already built. the new lines will not necessary follow the street lines (especially the pink line if somebody authorize that project), so just rip open the streets wont do it. and let's face it, there was much less trafic in montreal in 1965 thant in 2018. you cannot close a major street for a year and expect that it will work. i cannot think how bad the trafic will go if they close a street like st-laurent, papineau or jean-talon. make me glad that i quit the island completely 7 years ago, and i thank god each day when i see the huge trafic jams that goes to the bridges, and that i do not have a bridge to cross to go to work.