Anyone else tired of reading articles about Batman because of "those" comments?

Sep 7, 2011
Every single time I read some article about Batman, like the new game, or new comics, etc.
I see every time someone has to say something about how because Batman adopted Robin he must be gay with him, which instantly turns my excitement for the game or comic to depression.
Not really sure why I made this thread, I'm mostly looking for some form of renewal in my faith in humanity. I have been a Batman fan for over 15 years, and I often get on the internet and find new info about the new game or the comics, and then see those comments, so I for some reason came here looking for something positive to cheer me up.

Ps. I like gay people, just not the trollish comments people make about Batman and Robin.

NerfedFalcon

Level i Flare!
Mar 23, 2011
I honestly don't think they're gay at all; I mean, going by the one thing of Batman I've had proper contact with (The Dark Knight), he's quite safely straight or else he wouldn't be in love with Rachel. As for Robin, like I said, I'm not qualified to talk about him.

Just throw that in their faces and then if they don't shut up, do your darndest to ignore them.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Vuljatar said:
Read the thread title, came in expecting this to be about "the goddamn Batman" meme.
Buh? Is that like the "I'm the Juggernaut, *****!" meme?

OT: Really? I haven't seen any comments like those in a long time. Granted, I've avoided most other forms of game information outside of The Escapist and Destructoid (with an occasional visit to IGN), but I really find it hard to believe anyone more mature than a ten year old would still be making those jokes.

Vuljatar

Sep 7, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
Vuljatar said:
Read the thread title, came in expecting this to be about "the goddamn Batman" meme.

Whenever people are talking about Batman, inevitably someone quotes, posts, or links this.

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
Vuljatar said:
Same here. I was ready to make a comparison to trying to have a discussion about Chuck Norris.

Anyway Batman is too serious for love. Bruce Wayne on the other hand...

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
Vuljatar said:
shrekfan246 said:
Vuljatar said:

Whenever people are talking about Batman, inevitably someone quotes, posts, or links this.
Bahaha, so it is like the "I'm the Juggernaut, *****!" meme. I can't believe I haven't seen that before.

Detached-From-Comic-Books-Man, awaaaaaaay!

bluepilot

Jul 10, 2009
There is a theory among batman-philes (such as myself) that the Dark Night is a homosexual.

The theory goes that a mask can change a lot of things and while Bruce Wayne is straight, his alter-ego is in fact gay.

Batman and Robin have been idols in the gay community for many years now, and the Batman comics, movies e.t.c have always ranged from the dark and gritty (the early comics make `the killing joke` look like a rainbow glitter pony) to the coulourful and camp. Some have even gone as far as to describe the relationship between Batman and the Joker as a extreme nightmare of a homosexual relationship.

Batman is an iconic character grained into the psyche of modern individuals that his character, philosophy, religion and sexuality have been open, and will continue to be open to various interpretations.

Dorian6

Apr 3, 2009
No one thinks they're gay. It's just a humorous reference people make that was funny the first time, but got old fairly quickly

Sep 13, 2010
I don't actually think anyone believes batman is into young boys, but it is an easy target. I personally find the idea of the dark knight bringing a small child into combat rather odd and out of character, but that is another subject.

DeadlyYellow

Jun 18, 2008
You're fazed by something people say on the internet?

Did you just discover the online world yesterday?

Owyn_Merrilin

May 22, 2010
Just wondering OP, have you actually seen the show or any of the comics from the 60's? There was a definite homosexual subtext going on there. I understand the later movies in the 90's (Particularly Batman and Robin) were pretty heavy with it as well, but I actually haven't seen any of them, so I can't personally vouch for it. Anyway, this is a case where the joke was actually quite relevant once upon a time, but the source material for it has been downplayed over the years, to the point that it doesn't make much sense to the people who haven't been exposed to the earlier versions of Batman.

Oh, also, I came into this thread expecting it to be about the "Batman with time to prepare" meme.

lucky_bob45

Sep 4, 2008
Actually im just tired of reading articles about batman because between Arkham City, Dark Knight Rises and the DC reboot there seesm to be a new batman article every 3 hours.

lots of comments annoy me. i dont pay attention to them.

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Batman and Robin are the original Ambiguously Gay Duo.

You may be a Batman fan of 15 years, but people have been questioning Batman and Robin's relationship since at least 1954.

You may feel like people are trolling your Batman fandom, but the ambiguity of Batman's relationship with Robin is an established fact and something that was being questioned long before forums, the internet and video games were invented... there's even a Wikipedia dedicated to it (a page that wouldn't exist if it was just trolling to annoy Batman fans on forums):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homosexuality_in_the_Batman_franchise

You shouldn't let it depress you or mar your excitement of upcoming Batman games, if you really like Batman & Robin, then it shouldn't matter that they might be gay, it makes no difference to their crime fighting activities.

Most importantly, because the question of their sexuality is so ambiguous, ultimately it's up to you whether Batman and Robin are gay or not, it's your fandom and only you have the power to turn an ambiguous doubt into a personal belief, irrespective of what a few trolls on the internet say... although if it is really making you depressed and spoiling your 15 year enjoyment of Batman, then I dare say that successful troll is successful.