Anyone feel like forum activity really slowed down?

briankoontz

May 17, 2010
What happened was that gamers collectively came to understand that games have a political dimension. Many gamers previously thought and were proud of understanding that games were apolitical - you could sit down with George W. Bush and play a game of Minecraft just as easily as you could with your twin. Games were viewed as an escape from politics, as enabling a glimpse into a better, purer, world than our own. It was like two enemy soldiers entering a cathedral together for sanctuary from the war.

GamerGate wasn't a cause of this understanding but an outcome of it. The rage of GamerGate is not derived from the "artsy" developers who make games they aren't interested in nor the rising threat of progressivism with Anita Sarkeesian as figurehead, but the fact that the cumulative weight of these forces broke through the belief in games as an apolitical force that could make the world a more innocent place.

It is something that has changed inside GamerGaters themselves that is causing their rage. They believe they've lost that missionary zeal, that belief IN games as a force for good, and find progressivism to blame for changing them. When they read "Gamers are dead", they worry that they have died as the zealous believers IN games that they used to be. They've lost their religion and thus much of the will to post about games.

There's a song lyric written by Stephen Stills - "Nobody's right, if everybody's wrong". When gamers believed games were apolitical, there was nothing to be wrong about. We "shut up and gamed", as it were, no matter our background, our politics, our religion.

But then we decided we didn't want to shut up, and between game sessions we wanted to grow games into something more, more mature and meaningful and also more political. We wanted to understand the role of games in the world, their meaning. We wanted to converge games WITH the real world instead of them being a refuge from it. And so we lost not our goodness or innocence, but our willingness for games to transform the world *from the outside*. It wasn't so much games that went mainstream as gamers that went mainstream. The Outsider Nerd shunned by society was dead.

But *this* process, this understanding of the role of games in the world, this convergence of the virtual and real worlds, means we need to squabble and debate about games just as people do every other meaningful topic in the world. Games are no longer special. Games are a political entity. Games are real.

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
lacktheknack said:
It's because Baffle isn't posting enough.

I firmly believe that Baffle could single-handedly save the whole forum.
Yes.

Everyone needs more Baffle in their lives.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
As others have said...

Lots of bans, lots of people leaving, a pretty damned unprecedented amount of conflict due to recent events, and polarizing content creators leaving without adequate replacements.

It's been a hard year.

I don't really think the smarmy, passive aggressive nature of the forum battles has contributed to it too much since that sort of thing has been around since I started lurking back in 08-09.

It still sucks to see people (irrespective of 'side' in whatever debate) with older accounts than mine and thousands upon thousands of posts getting banned for seemingly minor infractions though. It straight up just guts the community.

Oh, and echoing the 'axe grinding' sentiment...it's grating as all hell. People just keep bringing up the same baggage into every thread they waltz into.

Like, what's this? A thread about whether or not you like White or Wheat bread? You god damn SJWs/GGers just LOVE your White/Wheat bread don't you?

SonOfVoorhees

Aug 3, 2011
The constant GG threads have put off a lot of people, im personally sick of them. An combine that with a loss of content makers like Jim and Bob there are very few reasons to come here. For me i come to watch the content and then stuck around afterwards to see whats on the forums.

dragoongfa

It's the Krossopolypse
Apr 21, 2009
Lurking since 2009 actually, site and the forums. Got active because of GG.

The forums slowing down is down to a number of reasons, the most prominent of which are the ridiculous number of bans being dissed out and the passive aggressive atmosphere. Both of these factors really chew out the number of participants even before taking into account the attrition from social media. The forums having a bad reputation spread throughout the internet is not a misunderstanding.

I have been on my semi-lurk mode for a few months now, popping in for a select few threads, other than that I enjoy some of the site content but if the Escapist is to survive it needs to find its own way.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I think the whole GG kerfuffle and some content creators had something to do with it.

Some people actually stood by their word and peaced out when their favorite creators left, or because of said kerfuffle.

For me personally, I've been far too busy to really poke around the forums much anymore, and I stick to user groups now. That and I really don't feel like arguing with someone over something. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Paragon Fury

The Loud Shadow
Jan 23, 2009
Look, I'm sorry I haven't been keeping up with my inevitably boobie threads. I know, I know, they brought joy to everyone - except Phasmal, whom they only brought dismay - but I can only think of so many boobie topics before it gets creepy and/or my warning meter finally tips over into the "moderation" side of things.

Once I think of more boobie things, I'm sure forum activity will pick up.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
Yeah the place has gotten a bit quiet.
I think because a large number of the more outspoken posters left or got banned or just plain can't be bothered anymore.
Must admit I don't really come on here too much anymore, mostly because I have too much going on in my life right now. Also as I've gotten closer to the big 30 I have found my interest in gaming slide a bit.

I still visit the Barclays premier league group because they are a bunch of cool people. Unfortunately due to time difference I don't often get to chat with them much anymore.
As people have already said in this thread, people change, interests change, hopefully this place gets busy again one day as there are some interesting articles and people here.

zerragonoss

Oct 15, 2009
Yep forums seemed to have slowed down a decent amount; on the one hand this means I am posting slightly more as anything I would have to say has not already been said better in every thread though. On the other hand it makes lurking more boring. Perhaps we can start a make a thread post in a thread program of some kind?
briankoontz said:
Interesting ideas, not really directly relevant to this topic though. Why not go make it into a thread?

Paragon Fury said:
You could widen your horizons a bit and make a butts thread or possibly sexiest eyes, most attractive left pinky toe, favorite tentacle? Lots of other objects of sexual desire other than boobs to talk about in the basest way possible.

Captcha: Problem Solver
I doubt a tentacle thread is really going to solve the sites slow down problem, or if it does I may have to leave.