Anyone get the hate for Skyrim?

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
13,768
0
0
I have a weird love-hate thing going with Skyrim.

It's undeniably compelling on some level and I still get the occasional urge to play it. Bethesda games do exploration like nobody else. I can wander around the map and reliably find interesting things to poke my nose in. Plus, sneaking around with a knife, a bow and a bunch of poisons can be fun.

On the other hand, it's janky as fuck. The writing is a joke. The animation is another joke with the stiff puppet motions robbing the game of the slightest sense of verisimilitude. Direct combat is a chore that boils down to chipping away at a procession of health bars while chugging the overly plentiful healing items. Stealth is just outright broken. Lastly, while there are a ton of interesting things to find in the world there is also a ton of cookie-cutter chaff. Seen one cave-o-draugr, seen 'em all.

The argument that mods fix the game is rubbish. They can improve the UI and that's about it. There's no non-shit combat mod and no non-shit animation mod. Just a whole lot of gear add-ons, inconsequential graphics fiddling and vaguely creepy waifu bait.
 

Mcgeezaks

The biggest boss
May 25, 2020
864
0
0
Sweden
Country
Sweden
Gender
Male
axelthefox said:
BabyfartsMcgeezaks said:
It's boring, don't know what else to say



I got 30 hours in it but that's only because I've tried to get in to it about 10 times but I just end up getting bored out of my mind.
I have about 55 minutes or so on it on the nintendo switch
I also bought it at launch 6 years ago.
 

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
4,691
0
0
I don't really get how an RPG can be considered a good game if the gameplay isn't good and the writing isn't good. I couldn't care less about Bethesda RPGs because they fail at the 2 of the most important things for an RPG. From a few videos I've seen on Fallout 4, it barely has any role-playing in it at all.
 

Arnoxthe1

New member
Dec 25, 2010
3,374
0
0
Samtemdo8 said:
Because it lacks any of the Gameplay depth and features of older games like Daggerfall and Morrowind.

In Daggerfall, you can have your own Pirate Ship.
Daggerfall also looked like the whole game was made with papier-mache and doesn't have a lot of things Skyrim has and also wasn't nearly as moddable. There's other things too I might have missed but yeah.

Morrowind's combat was actually even more simple than Skyrim's or Oblivion's. Just roll a warrior character and go to ****ing town. And you thought that was simple? Wait 'till you get one of the MANY paralyze-enchanted weapons that pretty much remove all challenge from the game. See, the things is Morrowind had more stats the game could play with over Skyrim which did inherently give it more complexity, but the game falls kinda short on execution.

Here's another thing to consider. People who complain about Skyrim have usually sunk in a ton of hours into the game. And when you sink in a ton of hours into ANY game, the cracks in even the greatest games will begin to show. And so people start thinking the game is bad when in reality they've really just played it half to death. Skyrim is a victim of it's own insanely high replayability.
 

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
14,334
0
0
Probably because it has been done to death. Ported and remastered and HD updated and etc. etc. God Bethesda can we get a new game already?
 

sXeth

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
2,636
114
68
trunkage said:
As to Morrowind's dungoens, most of Skyrim dungeons double back on itself to save players time of just walking back through areas they have fought through. It decreases boredom. My biggest complaint about Morrowind, especially compared to Daggerfall, is the amount of time it make you waste. It was a huge backwards step.
There's a pile of options in Morrowind to instantly teleport yourself prettymuch wherever you want. Most of them listed on the loading screen tips or spouted at you in common dialogue.

Funnily, if you combined the two, you'd end up with drastic shortcuts, cause Morrowind super-jumping, levitating and flying would let you access a lot of those back doors in Skyrim's dungeon design.
 

Amaror

New member
Apr 15, 2011
1,509
0
0
What Hate? Seriously what hate for Skyrim. Everyone loves Skyrim. The worst I can find is legitimate exhaustion for getting the same game presented by Bethesda rereleasing the damn thing another f****ing time. Sure there is a good bit of criticism, but nothing that I would really present as hate. Skyrim has a lot of flaws that quite a few are pointing out, but most people still seem to like it despite of those flaws.
So I ask again: What hate?
 

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
6,065
1,327
118
Brisbane
Gender
Cyborg
Phoenixmgs said:
I don't really get how an RPG can be considered a good game if the gameplay isn't good and the writing isn't good. I couldn't care less about Bethesda RPGs because they fail at the 2 of the most important things for an RPG. From a few videos I've seen on Fallout 4, it barely has any role-playing in it at all.
Exploration is the third pillar of RPG I think. Every game fails at it, except for TES. You cant light out and go anywhere in the Witcher or Baulder's Gate. You have to follow a path. Another pillar is choices. TES is terrible for choices during quests. Also, letting you be evil and kill NPCs. But they allow you the freedom to play any way you want in other ways and go anywhere you please.

The last pillar I can think of is consequences. I have yet to meet a game that is good at that.
 

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
6,065
1,327
118
Brisbane
Gender
Cyborg
Seth Carter said:
trunkage said:
As to Morrowind's dungoens, most of Skyrim dungeons double back on itself to save players time of just walking back through areas they have fought through. It decreases boredom. My biggest complaint about Morrowind, especially compared to Daggerfall, is the amount of time it make you waste. It was a huge backwards step.
There's a pile of options in Morrowind to instantly teleport yourself prettymuch wherever you want. Most of them listed on the loading screen tips or spouted at you in common dialogue.

Funnily, if you combined the two, you'd end up with drastic shortcuts, cause Morrowind super-jumping, levitating and flying would let you access a lot of those back doors in Skyrim's dungeon design.
Or blinding speed at the beginning. I understand why they took those things out (to stop the game break so bad) but I think I should have kept it. Teleport is terrible though. Way too fiddly. So limited.

Daggerfall had those spells and fast travel. Both combined is great. (Daggerfall dungeons made levitation a must as you could easily get trapped.)
 

Cold Shiny

New member
May 10, 2015
297
0
0
Its not a bad game, I just don't get why Bethesda is constantly praised for massive amounts of bugs, and no good stories or characters.

Bethesda doesn't seem to grow and evolve, they do the same thing over and over, and they get rewarded for it.
 

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
4,419
0
0
RJ 17 said:
For a game that's been rereleased, remastered, ported, and rereleased again...you'd think they could take another look at some of the crap still lingering in the game and polish it out. But they don't. Why? Because fuck it, that's why! They're still gonna get their $60 for a 6 year old game, so why bother?
Pretty much this.

Of all the reasons i have to despise Skyrim this one has sailed right up to the forefront to the point where i dont even think things like comparisons to previous games or the lackluster gameplay even matter as much to me any more.

Skyrim has been out for a long time, and it still requires mods to function properly. One might say this is a hallmark of a dedicated community, i say its the hallmark of a developer who doesnt really give a shit.
 

Drathnoxis

Artificial Person
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
3,582
429
88
Country
Canada
Gender
Male
The questlines are far below the level of quality of Oblivion's. They are far too short, poorly executed, and aren't even in the same ballpark as the Dark Brotherhood from Oblivion. Most of the other quests are less interesting too. Most of the time it's just fetch quests... from drauger tombs. Radiant quest system turned out to be nothing but dull repetition.

It was far too easy to become stupidly overpowered and the combat wasn't that great to begin with. The economy was broken with nothing good to use money on except houses. The writing was poor in general, especially in the in game novels some of which read like bad fanfiction. There was basically no meaningful choice in the game. You could do a quest or not do a quest usually, and neither mattered in the long run.

There were things to like about the game, but after my initial 100 hour playthrough I just couldn't go back. I tried several years after launch with a crapton of mods, but I couldn't think of anything to do and none of the bad quests managed to catch my interest a second time.

And you have to listen to bloody Tino Tonatini voicing every other character!

I could go into more detail, but I've gotta try and catch up on some sleep soon or I'm going to die.
 

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
6,065
1,327
118
Brisbane
Gender
Cyborg
MC1980 said:
trunkage said:
Divinity is also a good representation of questing issues. You can accomplish your goals in so many ways, which is great. But there is only one way that gives you the best rewards. Guess what that incentivises? Its probably becuase I started at the hardest mode (without Ironman) and if I miss out on XP, I will evenutally lose the game.
...so what you're saying is that your desire to min-max is somehow the game's fault?
In so far that mechanics of the game inteferring the story? yeah I do. I am currently now suggesting that anyone who likes challenging combat and/or min/maxing show not concern themselves with Divinity's story. If you do care about story or role-playing, do it on an easier mode. Otherwise, you will not have a good time.

Drathnoxis said:
The questlines are far below the level of quality of Oblivion's. They are far too short, poorly executed, and aren't even in the same ballpark as the Dark Brotherhood from Oblivion. Most of the other quests are less interesting too. Most of the time it's just fetch quests... from drauger tombs. Radiant quest system turned out to be nothing but dull repetition.
Go back and play Oblivion. Hell, go back and play Morrowind. Fetch/kill quest galore. Morrowind changed it a bit with 'go talk to someone' which is way worse. Quests in TES have always been terrible from Main Quest down.

But then Witcher is actually the same. You just use your Witcher senses to spice things up. The Witcher spends more time giving you a reason to fetch something, which is what I want more from a TES game
 

Drathnoxis

Artificial Person
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
3,582
429
88
Country
Canada
Gender
Male
trunkage said:
Drathnoxis said:
The questlines are far below the level of quality of Oblivion's. They are far too short, poorly executed, and aren't even in the same ballpark as the Dark Brotherhood from Oblivion. Most of the other quests are less interesting too. Most of the time it's just fetch quests... from drauger tombs. Radiant quest system turned out to be nothing but dull repetition.
Go back and play Oblivion. Hell, go back and play Morrowind. Fetch/kill quest galore. Morrowind changed it a bit with 'go talk to someone' which is way worse. Quests in TES have always been terrible from Main Quest down.
Well yeah, but Skyrim had more! Skyrim built an entire system around delivering you a never ending supply of fetch quests. Oblivion seemed to have a lot more interesting or unique quests as well. Like that one village you come across where everybody is invisible. Or where Sheogorath is making it rain cats and dogs. And again, the guild questlines were far better.
 

Cid Silverwing

Paladin of The Light
Jul 27, 2008
3,134
0
0
I hate Skyrim because, like Oblivion, it's so painfully generic (doomsday shit just like Oblivion), hates PC gamers (seriously the interfaces of both Oblivion and Skyrim have nested tabs and shitty navigation which are BIG taboos in PC interface design which is telling that the two were developed for consoles first then ported to PC later), a ridiculous obsession with blowing all the money on big-name actors who then have a maximum screentime of maybe an hour out of the 6-10 hours of plot if you ignore everything else, the dual-wielding spells thing had to be done so spells are coded like weapons to even pull it off so if you liked being able to sword-and-board with a backup spell to hand you get to eat shit because you have to sacrifice a hand to cast spells due to the aforementioned gimmick, the whole Dragonborn plot is a cockslap because all it amounts to is you killing dragons and using their Shouts when a lot more could have been done with it, and you can kill a dragon right in view of like 10 fucking NPCs WHO ALL JOINED YOU IN THE FIGHT, only for the fuckers to turn around and be like "Who slew this dragon? D:", WHILE DIRECTLY WITNESSING YOU DOING IT, like seriously I never get a sense that I'm achieving anything when NPCs literally ignore me to my face just after I kicked a dragon's ass, there's absolutely no player feedback in anything you do. Finally the whole civil war plot is just as atrociously written and boring because Ulfric Stormcloak is a petty man-child who killed the last king with a Dragon Shout and is leading a rebellion against the Imperials because they were forced, FORCED, to submit to those dark elf inquisitor nazi types or be exterminated, failing utterly to understand that it HAD to be done for the sake of survival, fuck your pride and step in line you disgraceful traitor, you're only making it worse for everyone. But if there was a plot to aid the Empire in killing those elf nazis that would have been neat although I just don't give sufficient fucks about any of it.
 

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

New member
Aug 2, 2015
7,915
0
0
Arnoxthe1 said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Because it lacks any of the Gameplay depth and features of older games like Daggerfall and Morrowind.

In Daggerfall, you can have your own Pirate Ship.
Daggerfall also looked like the whole game was made with papier-mache and doesn't have a lot of things Skyrim has and also wasn't nearly as moddable. There's other things too I might have missed but yeah.

Morrowind's combat was actually even more simple than Skyrim's or Oblivion's. Just roll a warrior character and go to ****ing town. And you thought that was simple? Wait 'till you get one of the MANY paralyze-enchanted weapons that pretty much remove all challenge from the game. See, the things is Morrowind had more stats the game could play with over Skyrim which did inherently give it more complexity, but the game falls kinda short on execution.

Here's another thing to consider. People who complain about Skyrim have usually sunk in a ton of hours into the game. And when you sink in a ton of hours into ANY game, the cracks in even the greatest games will begin to show. And so people start thinking the game is bad when in reality they've really just played it half to death. Skyrim is a victim of it's own insanely high replayability.
If we relegate RPG quality by their combat than Dark Messiah of Might and Magic is the greatest RPG ever.

No there is more to Morrowind than its combat, the questing and faction system is much more deeper aswell. If you join one faction your reputation standing would be increased with allied factions and decreased with opposing factions (not that it matters since you can bribe them with cash to make them like you)
 

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Apr 14, 2020
5,184
173
68
The hate comments seem to be more about the hype than about the game's fails. Most of the negative comments about the game itself seem to come more from a "meh!" perspective than a hateful one.
 

SirSullymore

New member
Mar 26, 2009
423
0
0
Eh, I kind of feel that the internet has turned on Bethedsa in general. I hadn't seen true hate until I made it known that New Vegas wasn't my favorite Fallout.