Anyone know any good mystery games?

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
I think it fits: The Vanishing of Ethan Carter in which you play as a detective who tries to find the titular Ethan, finding bits and pieces of what happened before with a strong hint of the supernatural.

The gameplay is mostly puzzle based and atmospheric in nature lacking depth (no multiple choices or stuff to do other than solve the mysteries) but I really liked it. The game is short - Steam claims I've finished it in about 6 hours, so I'll take its word for it, I reckon it could be finished in less, probably 4-5 if you try to be more organised (and don't get stuck as much). I think I'd like more games that do the same - focus on one case to solve.

There is another game that, from what I've heard, does something you might be after: Murdered: Soul Suspect. I've not played it or otherwise checked how good it is, so I can't talk about quality, but it might interest you.

ensouls

Feb 1, 2010
Heavy Rain, if you don't mind most of the game being a long sequence of QTEs (I'll admit that pretty much killed it for me).
I'm kind of sad that there aren't more good, high budget mystery games. There are some decent old ones but they're sort of handicapped by the whole point and click thing which makes them more item hunts than anything else.

MASTACHIEFPWN

Will fight you and lose
Mar 27, 2010
Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars. The game is a little cartoonish, and it has a lot of comic relief, so it might not be for someone looking for an entirely serious experience; but the game is really well written, and has a pretty interesting murder-mystery at the center. Its score is excellent, and its over all a pretty interesting game.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
There are a lot of recommendations I wanted to post, but most of the other cover them already. So I will post another ones please:

- Ever 17: The Out of Infinity. Yes it play like 999 game, but you NEED to play it. Saying more it would be a spoiler. The best way to play it, is to go entirely blind. Without knowing nothing at all.
- Ghost Trick. It is more as a puzzle game, but with a very good plot twist. Also the ending is the SH*T MAN!!!!

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
DrunkOnEstus said:
I definitely recommend Deadly Premonition if you're okay with an open-world approach. The PC version practically requires DPfix, if you want to get it on PS3 its inferior to the 360 version and has an awful framerate so I say go with the PC version. Heavily inspired by the show Twin Peaks.
Can definitely second this recomendation. It runs out of steam a bit towards the end (still good mind), and has some gameplay issues you may need to bare with, but overall it's a superb experience and something very different and absorbing.

It does borrow HEAVILY from Twin Peaks, but that in no way effects the enjoyment, if anything it enhances it slightly for me.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
Danbo Jambo said:
DrunkOnEstus said:
I definitely recommend Deadly Premonition if you're okay with an open-world approach. The PC version practically requires DPfix, if you want to get it on PS3 its inferior to the 360 version and has an awful framerate so I say go with the PC version. Heavily inspired by the show Twin Peaks.
Can definitely second this recomendation. It runs out of steam a bit towards the end (still good mind), and has some gameplay issues you may need to bare with, but overall it's a superb experience and something very different and absorbing.

It does borrow HEAVILY from Twin Peaks, but that in no way effects the enjoyment, if anything it enhances it slightly for me.
Oh I know. At first, when I was about 2 or 3 hours in, I started to read about the..."borrowing" from Twin Peaks, which came out when I was 4. I decided to watch the series and Fire Walk With Me, which actually greatly improves the experience of playing DP. I get to pretend to be an even goofier Coop with a more wacked-out town. I really hope Lynch and Frost stick to their promise on that 2016/2017 release of the next season, and totally feel bad for people who have been waiting like 26 years for it.

Danbo Jambo

Sep 26, 2014
DrunkOnEstus said:
Oh I know. At first, when I was about 2 or 3 hours in, I started to read about the..."borrowing" from Twin Peaks, which came out when I was 4. I decided to watch the series and Fire Walk With Me, which actually greatly improves the experience of playing DP. I get to pretend to be an even goofier Coop with a more wacked-out town. I really hope Lynch and Frost stick to their promise on that 2016/2017 release of the next season, and totally feel bad for people who have been waiting like 26 years for it.
I think if any series suits a modern day re-launch it's that one. Everything was left quite in the air previously, and it wouldn't be too hard to continue the saga IMO, as a lot of the foundation has already been layed.

Here's hoping!