Strafe Mcgee

Jan 25, 2008
Examples include:

N (possibly the best platformer ever?)
Chalk
Torus Trooper
Warning Forever
rRootage

Since most of these are shooters I'm looking for more interesting freeware games to pass some time with. Anyone got any recommendations?

FreelancerADP

Dec 21, 2007
Just check for something like, "Top 10 freeware linux gmes" on google and you'll get a bunch. I know- I said Linux. But one of my favorites I'm playing right now (The Battle for Wesnoth, a turn based hex grid medieval strategy) is ported to windows along with a lot of others.

Of course, you could just install linux, but that might be asking for too much...

wilsonscrazybed

thinking about your ugly face
Dec 16, 2007
I am going to keep saying this until someone actually plays it "CAVE STORY!" Originally released in Japanese, it's kind of like metroid for gameplay but has one of the most detailed and interesting stories I have seen in a platformer. Wonderfully crafted and in it's own way very modern for what it is.

It's better than Morrowind! Go download it.

Batadon

Jan 17, 2008
If you want a platformer that'll last A WHILE (and kick your butt doing it), check out La-Mulana. Think retro-Castletroid on steroids and you've got a good idea. (Seriously, for size, it's gotta be twice the area to explore that Super Metroid had...) If you hate how modern games spoon-feed you tips and help, check this one out. Like Cave Story, make sure to get the translation ^_^

Cooper42

Jan 17, 2008
Check out
www.tigsource.com

Or look for 'Play this thing'.

There's a lot out there. Ur-Quan Matsers (already mentioned) is very good.

Barkley, Shut Up and Jam: Gaiden, Chapter 1 has to be the funniest game I've played in a long time.

If you're a masochist, check out I Wanna Be The Guy

Dwarf Fortress. If graphics are important to you, don't bother. Otherwise you have one of the deepest most engaging games pretty much ever.

Battle For Wesnoth if you like turn based strategy

And, of course, Yahtzee's Trilby games...

ilves7

Dec 7, 2007
Freespace2 open source!

Its the original game but slightly improved graphics wise... also if you download it you can download babylon 5, battlestar galactica, or wing commander mods (although most of them are works in progress)

other than that, ur-quan masters, although old, is one of the greatest games ever. It's Starcon2 with the name changed but no gameplay changes. Might take a bit to get into, the beginnings a little slow, but if you want open ended gameplay in a ridiculously large galaxy with a good plot, decent 2d space combat, its a great game.

yt2005

Mar 12, 2008
There's a great forum post with just such a list:

Part I: http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/showthread.php?t=199817#
Part II: http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/showpost.php?p=6106727&postcount=1361
Part III: http://forums.facepunchstudios.com/showthread.php?p=6981119#post6981119

Off the top of my head, I highly recommend TrackMania Nations and Cave Story. For TrackMania, there's a great Map Pack torrent that I also highly recommend, available at http://www.mininova.org/tor/278490

Tacroy

Mar 5, 2008
I like Stranded 2. It's a neat survival game, sort of like being Tom Hanks in Castaway, except less realistic. Unfortunately it was originally written in German, so you have to do a bit of digging to find English instructions. Fortunately the game itself is entirely translated.

Strafe Mcgee

Jan 25, 2008
j-e-f-f-e-r-s said:
also,Liero is hands down the best game ever. I think that's a free one.
Yeah I love that game. Playing it with weapons reload turned down to 0 is pure insanity. Especially if you use the sniper rifle...

Cibbuano

Jun 26, 2007
I'll have to cast another vote for Dwarf Fortress... for a game with crude graphics, it's got an incredible depth of emotion. For example, I was digging a big trench to defend my fortress from the inevitable goblin siege, when I realized that one of my dwarves wasn't working. She was moping over the loss of her baby and I couldn't find the baby, either.

Turns out the baby fell down into the trench, down three levels. I had to mine in and get him, then the mother rushed frantically to pick him up.

How can you not love that?

Spakkenkhrist

Mar 6, 2008
Cibbuano said:
Turns out the baby fell down into the trench, down three levels. I had to mine in and get him, then the mother rushed frantically to pick him up.

How can you not love that?
I think I'll have to give this a try based on this, I did download it at work once but didn't have time to give it a proper go.