Anyone know of some fun free games?

Hollyday

Mar 5, 2012
Most of my favs have been mentioned already, but you should definitely check out Fallen London. It's a browser game but it's completely addictive and the storyline is deliciously twisted!

dangoball

Jun 20, 2011
For shooter fun:
Tribes: Ascend
Blacklight: Retribution (suffers from occasional rollbacks)

If you like being told to kill yourself:
League of Legens
Heros of Nevereth
(good games, horrible comunity)

Browser games:
Thing Thing series (on newsgrounds.com, shooting 2D sidescroller fun)

Mandatory mention:
Team Fortress 2

ronin5432

Nov 8, 2010
If you like the original Fallout games (1&2) then you should check out FOnline: 2238. I would call it an mmo since threre only a couple of hundred people playing it right now. A morpg maybe.

http://fonline2238.net/wiki/FOnline:_2238 [http://fonline2238.net/wiki/FOnline:_2238]

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
octafish said:
How about awesome free single player? Look up WingCommander Saga. It is a free stand alone mod for the Freespace 2 engine. You don't need Freespace 2 to run it either.

Captcha: very nice

Yes Captcha it is...
I've never played the Wing Commander games, is this a good starting point, I see the others are on GoG so should I play them first, or go with this and then play them.

I just want to know if it will spoil anything.

Razentsu

Jun 21, 2011
If you feel like having some feels there's Katawa Shoujo. It's a visual novel, so the only gameplay you'll be experiencing is making choices to progress with the story. The gameplay won't engage you, but the stories should. The game packs quite the emotional punch and can be perspective changing.

SmegInThePants

Feb 19, 2011
roguelikes!

Tales of Maj'eyal - http://www.te4.org

Dungeon Crawl Stone Soup - http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/

and many more (nethack, rogue, etc..) all free

If you are into nice graphics though give the roguelikes above a pass, or start w/tales of maj'eyal. Graphics in roguelikes tend to be pretty primitive for the most part. But the depth of gameplay and class systems are hard to match. Most are pretty hard too, and most have permadeath, so if that's not your thing, then once again - give 'em a pass. Since ya don't have a lot of time though, difficult permadeath type games might be your thing. You sit down, you play till ya die in one sitting (and you will die), you done until next time.

a free TBS - battle for wesnoth: http://wesnoth.org/ (kind of like the old ps1 game - master of monsters, i think one of the developers is who made wesnoth even, iirc).

another place to look for free games of all sorts - http://sourceforge.net, a gathering place for open source games (and open source apps/utilities/etc...). Be careful, many are still in development, so some of 'em barely work, so look @ how finished it is before downloading it or you could end up w/ a pre alpha or some such. But there are a lot of gems hidden in the mix. If you can code at all, or do art, or make music, you can also contribute to the creation of a game here, help design a game the way you want, get yourself into the credits, have something cool to put on your resume.

I'm sure you've heard of it, but there's also League of Legends. Competitive online multiplayer. Starts out free. You can unlock everything but vanity skins simply by playing, so if ya don't mind not posessing the coolest looking skin and you don't mind waiting to slowly unlock the champions you want by earning the points to do so by just playing the game, then ya never have to spend a penny. People are usually streaming the game on various streaming sites, so ya can just check out some streams if ya wanna see what it looks like. I'd avoid it if ya don't have a thick skin though, because although there are a lot of nice players, there are also a lot of people who will whine, complain, blame their mistakes on you, and loudly and w/great verbosity. This is also a game that's good for someone who doesn't have a lot of time, because its a match based pvp game. You play a match 'till one side wins, then you done and can walk away.

edit: free internet chess server, w/ a client like babaschess (that's the one i use). http://www.freechess.org A lot of the 'free chess' servers out there claim to be free, but ya have to pay for advanced features. This one actually is free. You can watch other games in progress, multiple games at a time. Fun to watch the high rating games. You can play against a computer by challenging one of the computer opponents (of various skill ratings) just like you would a real person and it'll auto-accept and just start playing against you.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Well there's a free horror-game called .flow. I haven't tried it myself but I've heard great things about it.
Genuine Evil said:
katawa shoujo - a Hentai game
I'd change that if you don't want a billion people quoting you.

thesethey

Jan 1, 2012
well tf2 is really a great choice all around considering they just added a co op mode, bullet run is a good cod clone that i would say surpases it it one or 2 fields. tribes ascend and blacklight retirbution are also very deep and fun choices. honestly there has never been a better time to be a ftp gamer

Martin Yao

Jun 19, 2012
If you are interested, try here: www.armorgames.com
All the games there are completely free and definitely worth your time to try them.

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
chozo_hybrid said:
octafish said:
How about awesome free single player? Look up WingCommander Saga. It is a free stand alone mod for the Freespace 2 engine. You don't need Freespace 2 to run it either.

Yes Captcha it is...
I've never played the Wing Commander games, is this a good starting point, I see the others are on GoG so should I play them first, or go with this and then play them.

I was never too much into WC games. I just like Freespace 2 mods. Can't help you there sorry. Wingcommander Saga stands alone just fine though.

Judgement101

Mar 29, 2010
JUST REMEMBERED! KING ARTHUR'S GOLD!!!! Terraria+TF2. Sooooo much fun! The war between Red and Blue, both camped out in their massive towers as a few brave souls venture across the No Man's Land created by the neverending hailstorm of arrows that barrage the map. Then those brave adventurers manage to undermine the enemy towers and you watch as the enemy's stronghold slowly collapses and crushes the team it was meant to assist. Then you start to notice the lake at the center of the map has receeded. "FLOOD!!!!" screams the archers back at base. As you make a mad dash to the nearest tower just to realize it was the one you collapsed, you realize the self-sacrifice that your little squad had taken to secure the victory.

Tallim

Mar 16, 2010
Advanced Strategic Command..... it's Battle Isle just much much moreso.....

Warzone2100 fantastic RTS whose source code was released for the fans to distribute.

Itsthatguy

Jan 22, 2011
Sajuuk_Khar said:
Try out Dwarf Fortress: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/
Quite a steep learning curve, but Fun once you get into it.
I feel ashamed for not thinking of that. You can do so many stupid/disturbing/hilarious/"fun" things with that game.

Like automated mermaid baby slaughtering. Or a trap that burns things while it drowns them. Or dwarven daycare. Its like normal daycare, but with more dogs, and less care.

chozo_hybrid

What is a man? A miserable little pile of secrets.
Jul 15, 2009
octafish said:
chozo_hybrid said:
octafish said:

Yes Captcha it is...

I was never too much into WC games. I just like Freespace 2 mods. Can't help you there sorry. Wingcommander Saga stands alone just fine though.
Fair enough, good to know. Thanks for the prompt reply :) It's one heck of a complicated control system, any advice on that?

Spectral Dragon

Jun 14, 2011
The most realistic octopus-dad simulator to date!

Also, Iji is WELL worth playing. And replaying. And replaying it in another way. Alien invasion, AWESOMELY handled.

Then there's always shorter, flash-ish ones, like Fetus and suteF.

db.tigsource.com always has some, poizon and such. Most of the downloads don't work though, so you have to google it after you've found something good, but it's always worth it.

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
AwkwardTurtle said:
Please try and shy away from free MMORPGs specifically. I know that there are a lot out there and there are tons that are both fun and free, but I don't really have the time to get heavily invested in an MMORPG.
Tribes: Ascend.

It's Tribes, if you don't what that means then you're officially too young damnit!
A First Person Shooter with an emphasis on vehicles and jetpacks. Very much of the old school, the ability to manipulate your jetpack and weapons is far more important than shooting first or having the 'right' gear.

Contains CTF, death match and territories modes, has plenty of pay-to-win options but the real way to do well is to practice and work as a team, there's nothing in it bar cosmetics that you can't get through skill.

Free2Play, contains micro transactions, immense fun for shooter nuts, doubly so if you think CoD/BF style games are dull.

Quake Live

It's Quake 3, but in your browser, watch some youtube vids. Contains a six barrelled bazooka, sludge cannon and portable nuke launchers.
WARNING, more addictive than crack.

World of Tanks
This is basically Counter Strike, but with tanks.

Two teams square up at opposite ends of a map, win by either taking the objective or being the last team standing.
There are scout tanks, tanker tanks, sniper tanks and SPG's which are like a cross between the AWP and a drop kicker. Has quite a realistic damage model, don't be taking your WASP up against a Tiger II and be expecting to do anything else than die hilariously.

It's freemium, but again you can get a high level of gear without spending, you just have to persist through the tier 1 butt monkey tanks.

Obviously, you have to like tanks.