Anyone looking forward to Far Cry 3?

Treeinthewoods

May 14, 2010
I tried really hard to like FC2 and it did a lot of stuff I enjoyed, but the way the end game dragged on and on and on... the respawning checkpoints and useless camouflage...

I am not excited about FC3, they will need to do something pretty impressive to get me to play it.

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
I liked Far Cry 2, I don't really understand the hate it got. I loved being able to tackle objectives from any direction you wanted and with any equipment. You could play it stealthy, you could be a sniper, you could create strategically placed fires and burn down compounds or you could cover your jeep in IEDs and run it into a gas tank.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well I'm not particularly excited because they don't really have a clue how a game should work, but if it by some miracle comes out alright I will check it out.

P.S. I have to commend them on one thing tho, colors, a modern shooter with colors... it's quite a leap of faith there, people might not understand how they work.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
If it's like Far Cry 2, no. Far Cry 2 was a mind-numbingly bad experience I don't wish to participate in again.

RagTagBand

Jul 7, 2011
Though I'd wish it were more like Farcry 1...I doubt it, Crytek did Farcry 1 and you can tell they're absent in Farcry 2. I also get pretty weary when the original developer hands off on a franchise just like that.

FarCry 3's E3 showing was very impressive, so i'm looking forward to it, I'm just not sure why we've not heard anything about it since E3...

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Well, the first was great, the second was boring driving punctuated by good combat, and this looks like it mixes the two, hopefully with less driving. Because driving was 80% of 2. So much driving. I've actually been trying to finish it this week, and I can only do one mission at a time because there's so much driving.

EDIT: And the E3 trailer looked brilliant.

For the uninformed-

JakeNubbin

Jul 23, 2009
Farcry 2 is one of my top ten favorite games ever, and the first game was a trippy experience for me when i was a pre-teen. Hell yeah im looking forward to Farcry 3, I hope it's even better than the amazing FC2.

HassEsser

Jul 31, 2009
Despite the fact that the first two Far Cry games really disappointed me, I am, in fact, looking forward to Far Cry 3. I'm thinking (hoping) they learned from the success of the first game and the failures of the second to make something really special.

I mean, really, the second game was an amazing game technologically, with huge ambitions, it just suffered from one major flaw that I think I need not elaborate on (oh, it also had horrid mod support, so if they change that, they can fuck the game up all they want for all I care, PC enthusiasts will fix it right up).

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
They could just release the second one again, with all the features they promised, a smaller map and checkpoints that don't respawn if I turn my back. I'd probably buy that.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
Far Cry 2 was a good game, it did somethings well (such as survival elements and buddies but it could have done without the maleria. What kind of merc goes to africa without getting his shots?) but I stopped playing around when I got the the second area because it was so repetative, which is why I also never finished Assassins Creed. I didn't finish it but I feel if they iron out its kinks Far Cry 3 could be great. This video shows pretty much what I thought of Far Cry 2. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMcJwvbVXLM

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I am actually, it seems to look like Crysis, which is always good, yet it combines it with Farcry 2, which wasn't good, but it had potential to be good.

Hopefully it will use Farcry 2's potential that it somewhat wasted more wisely. Looks interesting.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
On one hand, yes, because I'm dying for a Farcry game that's more like the original than the sequel. So far, it looks more along the lines of the first one. Stuck on an island, crazy people want to kill you, survive and kill said crazy people.

On the other hand, no. Because I hate Ubisoft and am making an attempt to never purchase any of their products again.

Owlslayer

Nov 26, 2009
The trailer for it did look rather interesting, so i might have a gander at it, who knows. I´ll wait for the reviews and stuff before making any decisions, anyways.
I haven`t played any of the earlier games, tho, so I´m not sure what to expect from it. What I´ve heard of the series is that it`s supposed to have quite a lot of free roaming, sandbox action, and stuff like that, in the wilds.
Or something like that.

Squilookle

Nov 6, 2008
No, I am not. I really enjoyed Far Cry up until the stupid monster twist, and found overall that Far Cry 2 was a much stronger game. However, there were a few glaring problems with FC2 that could have been easily fixed with a patch which Ubisoft utterly failed to address. Now they want me to buy a sequel that looks like it throws all the innovation away in favour of a setting ripped straight from FC1 and Crysis (getting a bit sick of tropical islands, guys) and a cliched to all hell antagonist? (I'm sorry, but that 'definition of insanity' guy really was cookie cutter)

No thanks. I won't even consider buying it until Far Cry 2 gets fixed, and even then it'll take something new and interesting being in FC3 for me to want to get it.

What the hell happened to the rumoured Antarctica setting, anyway? That would have been fascinating.

TacticalAssassin1

Elite Member
May 29, 2009
I was really looking forward to it until I saw the gameplay. What's with the XP popping up every time you kill a bad guy? This isn't CoD! It's Far Cry!

Far Cry 2 was my favorite game, simply because of how immersive it is, and Far Cry 3 looks like a total departure of everything that made 2 great.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Phlakes said:
Well, that's worth a second post. I'm actually buying this just to see what he say's next. I realise its been done before but lately every villain has had a "conceivable" plan and I want to go back to batman style crazy villains.

Edit: I'm calling it now, the green necklace he has, has something to do with it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
I thought Far Cry 2 was fantastic and some of the "flaws" turned into selling points (enemies always spotting you? GO AT NIGHT). I'm interested in Far Cry 3, but it's not a first-day purchase.

Grey Day for Elcia

Jan 15, 2012
I enjoyed Far Cry 2 for a while, but never finished it and lost all interest after a a few days of playing. The rate at which enemies respawn, combined with the need to traverse huge areas filled with said enemies, ruined the experience for me. While the combat was fine, even thrilling, having to constantly engage in it with profoundly poor AI, whom you had already killed not ten minutes ago, became frustrating.

If Far Cry 3 can carry over some of the elements from 2, it could be great. The jamming weapons and first aid in the middle of fire fights reinvigorated a time worn gaming mechanic. The simple, fairly realistic weapons, felt and handled how they looked and that was somehow cool. The environment looked beautiful and the fire mechanic--as limited as it was in hindsight--made for some "oh, wow" moments.

It's a shame so many little things hampered my enjoyment of Far Cry 2 as much as they did, considering how great a lot of the game was. I hope the team learns from their mistakes and serves up an incredible game. I think they can.

RicoGrey

Oct 27, 2009
Gorilla Gunk said:
As long as they fix the enemy AI and make stealth a viable option then I'll probably get it.
Stealth was my main tactic in far cry 1 AND 2. It worked beautifully for me.

RicoGrey

Oct 27, 2009
My favorite thing about far cry 2 was the small unexpected details.

I remember swiming down a shallow stream(dont remember why) and then coming up on shore just to find an enemy guy standing with his backed to me. He turns around, sees me, sees my gun pointing at him, and then puts his hands up and says "Stay cool man, it doesn't have to go down like this". I look up the stream and see some buddies of his making their way towards us(they have not noticed me yet), I turn back to the guy with his hands up and he suddenly brings his gun up to shoot me. I of course pop him in the head before he can fire.

Was absolutely amazing.