Anyone thinking of getting Ratchet and Clank for the PS4?

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Did you guys know this existed? I didn't.

Rather, I forgot I did. Pretty abysmal marketing from Sony that I didn't know this was coming out today. I mean, I'm subscribed to one of their channels on YouTube.

Anywayyyyy, I wasn't much of a gamer back when the PS2 Ratchet and Clanks were popular, but when I got into gaming with my friend, we would often play RnC. He knew what to do, and I just ran around pulling the trigger button. Now that I have a PS4 and actually know how to play video games, I thought I might give it a try. Reviews all seem great, though gameplay has yet to hit YouTube.

So, anyone else thinking of getting the game? Seems to be for a very good price too, just 40 dollars for a game that, according to IGN, will last you 15 hours.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I'm getting it, but it's still a week until it gets released over here. Let's hope Insomniac doesn't get too Pixar-y with the characters this time.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Casual Shinji said:
I'm getting it, but it's still a week until it gets released over here. Let's hope Insomniac doesn't get too Pixar-y with the characters this time.
Its funny you say that, because all of the reviews I've read praise it's "Pixar-like visuals and characters".

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Bob_McMillan said:
Casual Shinji said:
Its funny you say that, because all of the reviews I've read praise it's "Pixar-like visuals and characters".
It's not the visuals, but the child friendly representation of the characters that I'm not too keen on. The original games on the PS2 were a lot goofier and had more adult centered humor. When the series jumped onto the PS3 things suddenly got very kiddie, and the story started to take itself way too seriously.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Casual Shinji said:
Bob_McMillan said:
Casual Shinji said:
It's not the visuals, but the child friendly representation of the characters that I'm not too keen on. The original games on the PS2 were a lot goofier and had more adult centered humor. When the series jumped onto the PS3 things suddenly got very kiddie, and the story started to take itself way too seriously.
From what I hear, the story takes a backseat in the game. Not so sure about adult humour, but from some of the trailers and gameplay reveals I've seen, the story doesn't take itself too seriously. I mean, it's narrated by some narcissistic douche named Captain Quark.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Bob_McMillan said:
From what I hear, the story takes a backseat in the game. Not so sure about adult humour, but from some of the trailers and gameplay reveals I've seen, the story doesn't take itself too seriously. I mean, it's narrated by some narcissistic douche named Captain Quark.
Well, it's a remake of the very first game, so hopefully Insomniac will try to incorperate the same humor. As long as we don't get anymore of that 'Ratchet is the last Lombax' and 'Clank is the Choosen One' nonsense. Give me more of those implications that Quark fucked a space monkey. Give me Lombax Bill Clinton.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
I already knew about it, but I am saving my money for Star Fox Zero first. And not be a downer, but some of you might have a problem with a remake. Apparently the characters don't know when to stop talking or giving "colorful" commentary.

Oh boy.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Probably. Plan on seeing the movie too, but I'm mixed. Mostly cause it seems the movie and the game are telling you the same overall plot. But...the people who are making the game are basically making the movie too. I'm also worried that due to relying on famous actors for the movie, the game will have different voices. Id have preferred the game continued the movie, and that they keep the voices the same across both.

Its a game based on a movie based on the game.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Bob_McMillan said:
Saelune said:
That's their tagline I think.
I wish games and movies based on games would work with each other. Finally a movie based on a game that's 60% or more made by the game developers, and they still seem like they may mess it up, though it may ironically be on the game side of it.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Saelune said:
Bob_McMillan said:
Saelune said:
I wish games and movies based on games would work with each other. Finally a movie based on a game that's 60% or more made by the game developers, and they still seem like they may mess it up, though it may ironically be on the game side of it.
I had hope for the Uncharted movie, but apparently that has stalled.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Bob_McMillan said:
Saelune said:
Bob_McMillan said:
Saelune said:
I'm sure you can go on youtube and find one that just puts all the cutscenes together, bam, movie. (Is critical of the movieness of the games)

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Saelune said:
Bob_McMillan said:
Saelune said:
Bob_McMillan said:
Saelune said:
I'm sure you can go on youtube and find one that just puts all the cutscenes together, bam, movie. (Is critical of the movieness of the games)
I actually really thought of doing that instead of playing the games, in preparation for Uncharted 4.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
CoCage said:
I already knew about it, but I am saving my money for Star Fox Zero first. And not be a downer, but some of you might have a problem with a remake. Apparently the characters don't know when to stop talking or giving "colorful" commentary.

Oh boy.
Well, some of the original PS2 games had a lot of banter, too. Commentators saying the same three lines over and over during colosseum battles was par the course. Some of the funniest moments in Ratchet 3 were the galactic rangers gabbing on during missions.

Not that this clip doesn't make me cringe slightly, but it's nothing new to the series. I guess it's just a bit more obnoxious now, because Insomniac feels they need to put more banter in since that's what everyone does now, but they don't seem to have the talent for it.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Bob_McMillan said:
I heard both it and The Last of Us movie are scrapped. There is a God after all.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines
Casual Shinji said:
Bob_McMillan said:
I heard both it and The Last of Us movie are scrapped. There is a God after all.
Not sure if scrapped, but Naughty Dog hasn't heard from the studio for over a year, so I suppose it might as well be.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Going Commando and Up Your Arsenal are still the best games in the series. They need to go back to the Bogon Galaxy sometime. Thugs 4 Less and Fizzwidget were riots.

Dragon Zero

No one of note
Apr 16, 2009
Been thinking about it, loved the series on the PS2 and I did enjoy the PS3 games. Not really interested in the movie at all, looks like a rip-off of a rip-off of early Dreamworks. Been keeping myself in the dark about it up til now (thoughtful of Sony to release no trailers, in that regard) and what I'm hoping for is the first game's plot with the second game and beyond's gameplay.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
Oh...it's out today?? That's...earlier than expected. Still playing catch up with other titles though. How many games in this series are there now? I got confused when attempting to find the last release on PS now. They all look equally modernish, so an uneducated guess was required.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
I will be honest, I'm extremely tempted to go out and get a PS4 so I can play it.
CoCage said:
And not be a downer, but some of you might have a problem with a remake. Apparently the characters don't know when to stop talking or giving "colorful" commentary.

Oh boy.
I will not lie, that did kill some of my excitement.