Anyone wants to talk about The Twilight Zone?

Nature Guardian

Nov 9, 2016
I love, love, love that tv series. Especially the original black-and-white one, which was suprisingly far better than the more modern 90s remake.

Some movies are extended, 2-hours-long remakes of Twilight Zone episodes. For example, The Truman Show or Poltergeist.

And they seem even more relatable now than they were before!

- If you're worried about global warming, watch THE MIDNIGHT SUN

- If you hate other people, watch TIME ENOUGH AT LAST

- If you have an irrational phobia, like of heights, NIGHTMARE AT 20.000 FEET

- if you're worried about the recent return of nazism/fascism and Trump, try HE'S ALIVE

- Are you living with your parents? THE LATENESS OF THE HOUR

- Worried about humanity's stupidity or simply like translations? TO SERVE MAN

I friggin' love that series, you guys!!

Anyone saw it? Which are your favorite episodes?

I think it's one of the best tv series ever made, and comparing it with Black Mirror is reductive.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
I watched The Twilight Zone growing up (Both the original and that kind of goofy new one that they made). I always enjoyed the series and now that it appeared on Netflix, there is a solid chance that I'm going to watch the entire thing at some point.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
I can only remember one Twilight Zone episode, and it was the one where this stressed out house wife gained the ability to stop time. It had a pretty fucked up ending, where suddenly people were freaking the fuck out and running away in a panic and she having no idea what was going on stopped time. As she wanders around the street occupied by hundreds of people frozen in a state of running and pointing towards the sky she looks up and notices a nuclear bomb, also frozen, about to hit the city. The end.

And obviously the movie.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
That show had a writing caliber that is nearly impossible to get now. It is also the show that made me terrified of any type of living doll.

Stay away from me, Talking Tina. Stay very, very, very far away.

pookie101

Jul 5, 2015
Casual Shinji said:
I can only remember one Twilight Zone episode, and it was the one where this stressed out house wife gained the ability to stop time. It had a pretty fucked up ending, where suddenly people were freaking the fuck out and running away in a panic and she having no idea what was going on stopped time. As she wanders around the street occupied by hundreds of people frozen in a state of running and pointing towards the sky she looks up and notices a nuclear bomb, also frozen, about to hit the city. The end.

And obviously the movie.
oh man i actually remember that episode. it freaked me out growing up

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
Only episode I remember is the episode that was about beauty being in the eye of the beholder. The one with a lady in a hospital coming out of a plastic surgery, then showing that nearly everyone else has pig faces. No idea why we watched that one at school, but it was pretty good.

Silent Protagonist

Aug 29, 2012
I've only seen a couple episodes of the actual show. I've heard quite a few of the radio version they made on some all night road trips. I find they tend to be very hit or miss, and not necessarily because the miss ones are bad but because they just don't click for you personally, which I imagine has to be common issue with any horror entertainment that takes such a varied approach.
These days when I get the rare craving for some unsettling horror entertainment I usually visit the SCP foundation website but it's been awhile. I think I heard they are opening up series 4 soon.

American Fox

Le Best Tank
Aug 14, 2012
LostCrusader said:
Only episode I remember is the episode that was about beauty being in the eye of the beholder. The one with a lady in a hospital coming out of a plastic surgery, then showing that nearly everyone else has pig faces. No idea why we watched that one at school, but it was pretty good.
Eye of the Beholder.

I love horror tv series, especially TTZ.

Favorites:
Time Enough at Last
Will the Real Martian Please Stand Up
The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street
Escape Clause
One for the Angels

The Outer Limits, old and new are also awesome.

Freddy's Nightmares, Monsters, Friday the 13th, etc.

skywolfblue

Jul 17, 2011
My favorite episode would be "A Nice Place to Visit".

The guy dies, and is met by what he assumes is his guardian angel. The "angel" gives him everything he ever wants, so at first he thinks this must be heaven. He grows sick of it and wants to face danger once more, to be alive, so he tells the angel he's sick of heaven and wants to go to hell. But the "angel" tells tells him that this IS hell, and he can't escape.

THAT is what hell is. To have everything you ever wanted. This is so true for very many of the ultra-rich. They have enough money to buy anything they ever wanted, but they are hollow on the inside.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
I like the show a lot. Some episodes were real stinkers though.

It's neat how many soon-to-be famous actors appeared on the show. Off the top of my head I know William Shatner, a couple of Beverly Hillbillies actors, and like half the cast of Bewitched.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Drathnoxis said:
I like the show a lot. Some episodes were real stinkers though.

It's neat how many soon-to-be famous actors appeared on the show. Off the top of my head I know William Shatner, a couple of Beverly Hillbillies actors, and like half the cast of Bewitched.
Then there is Dennis Hopper who played a Neo-Nazi in He's Alive

My favorites:

The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street
To Serve Man
The Obsolete Man
The Living Doll
The Dummy
He's Alive

zelda2fanboy

Oct 6, 2009
I always loved Willoughby and I'll watch it whenever it's on. Same goes for The Invaders. As far as deep cuts, I really like the absurdity of The Last Rites of Jeff Myrtlebuck. Speaking of great shows, has anyone else tried One Step Beyond? Not at the same level of quality as The Twilight Zone, but consistently creepier. I also like the 1980s iteration of the Twilight Zone. About half of it is total utter crap, but there are some really strong segments, like Wong's Lost and Found Emporium, Nightcrawlers, and To See The Invisible Man.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
The original 60's Twilight Zone is one of my all-time favorite shows, and has been ever since I was a little kid. Every year, I'll watch the marathon on New Year's Eve (plus whenever else I can catch it on), and over the years I've seen every single episode of it at least twice. I'm actually currently rewatching the whole thing on Netflix (though for some reason they don't have season 4... buuuut it was definitely the weakest season on the whole).
I don't mind either of the revivals, but neither of them were nearly as good or as timeless as the original (especially the 2000's series, which tried far too hard to be "topical," and became really dated really quickly).

And since everyone seems to be listing their favorite episodes, here are mine:
"One For the Angels"
"The Hitch-Hiker"
"The Monsters Are Due On Maple Street"
"A Nice Place to Visit"
"A Stop At Willoughby"
"The Howling Man"
"The Eye of the Beholder"
"The Lateness of the Hour"
"Twenty Two"
"The Obsolete Man"
"The Mirror"
"It's a Good Life"
"To Serve Man"
"The Dummy"
"Living Doll"
"The Long Morrow"
"Number 12 Looks Just Like You"
"An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge"

Really though, almost every episode of the show was great. Some of them were merely good, but really the only one that I would personally consider to qualify as bad is "Mr. Dingle, the Strong."

Kyrian007

Nemo saltat sobrius
Legacy
Mar 9, 2010
Kansas
Country
U.S.A.
I love anthology television series, and Twilight Zone is the granddaddy of them all. Obviously folks have already named some of the best. Another of my favorites is "A Hundred Yards Over the Rim" a starving wagon train leader winds up in modern times. Staring Cliff Robertson, and a smaller part for John Astin.

But my favorite episode hasn't been mentioned yet.
Jack Klugman and Jonathan Winters. A simpler, smaller production than most episodes... it leans on its performers. And they deliver. Interesting side note, the 80's remake of this episode starred the late Ron Glass in the Jon Winters role.

Kotaro

Desdinova's Successor
Feb 3, 2009
Kyrian007 said:
I love anthology television series, and Twilight Zone is the granddaddy of them all. Obviously folks have already named some of the best. Another of my favorites is "A Hundred Yards Over the Rim" a starving wagon train leader winds up in modern times. Staring Cliff Robertson, and a smaller part for John Astin.

But my favorite episode hasn't been mentioned yet.
Jack Klugman and Jonathan Winters. A simpler, smaller production than most episodes... it leans on its performers. And they deliver. Interesting side note, the 80's remake of this episode starred the late Ron Glass in the Jon Winters role.
Oh, how did I forget "A Game of Pool?" Jack Klugman was amazing in that one, but he was always good. "A Passage For Trumpet" was also him, and also great.

Thaluikhain

Elite Member
Legacy
Jan 16, 2010
Nature Guardian said:
Twilight Zone? Or Twilight?

Anyhoo, never watched Twilight Zone, but it inspired so many other similar things, and I've seen a bunch of those.

Also, the Twilight Zone movie helicopter accident while filming...nasty.

Nature Guardian

Nov 9, 2016
Thaluikhain said:
Nature Guardian said:
Twilight Zone? Or Twilight?

Anyhoo, never watched Twilight Zone, but it inspired so many other similar things, and I've seen a bunch of those.

Also, the Twilight Zone movie helicopter accident while filming...nasty.

Definitely Twilight Zone. DEFINITELY.

Really, you should try some of the episodes discussed here. It's a very very veeery good tv series, it isnpired a lot of stuff, and it's as relevant today as it was back then. Maybe, in episodes like The Midnight Sun or He's Alive, it's even more relevant today.