Anything worthy of keeping my PS3 for?

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
The local Best Buy has themselves a nice little trade in deal going on when you trade your PS3 for a PS4 (same with the 360 for Xbox One I suppose but then I'd have to get a Xbox One and...ew).

To the best of my knowledge, there is not really anything on the horizon for the PS3 that's worth keeping it for (and what will come out worth getting is also PS4-able like Persona 5). However, I also do not pay anywhere near the same attention to the gaming market as I used to. Therefore I call upon the people of The Escapist for answers:

Is there anything coming out on the PS3 that is worth keeping it over (that I wouldn't be able to get for the PS4)?

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
I doubt there's anything coming out for the PS3 (Persona 5, Phantom Pain) that you couldn't get for the PS4 as well.

WhiteNachos

Jul 25, 2014
Not yet released games? Probably nothing, but the is a back catalog of games that might be worth keeping it for.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
WhiteNachos said:
Not yet released games? Probably nothing, but the is a back catalog of games that might be worth keeping it for.
In general, if I wanted to play it, I have by now. I suppose there's always a hidden gem or two that have slipped through the cracks but if I can get the PS4 for $200 $300 by giving them a console that I am unlikely to ever play again then that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make :)

popa_qwerty

Dec 21, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
WhiteNachos said:
In general, if I wanted to play it, I have by now. I suppose there's always a hidden gem or two that have slipped through the cracks but if I can get the PS4 for $200 by giving them a console that I am unlikely to ever play again then that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make :)
You are a bit late on the $200 for a trade of a PS3 seeing Gamestop will only give you $175.00 in cash and $215.00 in store credit for a PS4 and $52.00 in cash and $65.00 in store credit for a PS3

http://www.gamestop.com/trade/quote/multiplatform/consoles/playstation-3-system-500gb-slim/115384

http://www.gamestop.com/trade/quote/multiplatform/consoles/playstation-4-system-black/114375

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
popa_qwerty said:
tippy2k2 said:
WhiteNachos said:
In general, if I wanted to play it, I have by now. I suppose there's always a hidden gem or two that have slipped through the cracks but if I can get the PS4 for $200 by giving them a console that I am unlikely to ever play again then that's a sacrifice I'm willing to make :)
You are a bit late on the $200 for a trade of a PS3 seeing Gamestop will only give you $175.00 in cash and $215.00 in store credit for a PS4 and $52.00 in cash and $65.00 in store credit for a PS3

http://www.gamestop.com/trade/quote/multiplatform/consoles/playstation-3-system-500gb-slim/115384

http://www.gamestop.com/trade/quote/multiplatform/consoles/playstation-4-system-black/114375
I whoopsed on my math. I meant $300 for the PS4 (although that would probably drop to $200 with the games/controllers), not $200.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
popa_qwerty said:
tippy2k2 said:
WhiteNachos said:

He said Best Buy, not Gamestop. EDIT: Not that I imagine the two stores have wildly different trade-in values, but still.

OT: I'm not trading my PS3 in until I have the ability to play Okami and Journey and Metal Gear Solid IV on another system. (Okay, I can play Okami using my PS2 version, but it's not the same. I want to pick up the Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD at some point as well for Birth By Sleep Final Mix.) But that's just me; I don't like giving up the ability to play games I loved.

MajorTomServo

Jan 31, 2011
In my opinion, unless you're getting evicted and need rent money TODAY, never sell your old console/games. Unless it's a game/system I legitimately disliked, I'll miss it at some point and buy it back. If I had a nickel for every time I re-bought Red Dead Redemption, I'd have enough to buy it again.

That being said, it could be a good idea. Console value is a parabola: high price when it's new, low price when it's obsolete, high price again when it's retro. If you sell it before it bottoms out, you could potentially re-buy one later on when it's cheaper. Just how much cheaper though is up in the air.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
shrekfan246 said:
OT: I'm not trading my PS3 in until I have the ability to play Okami and Journey and Metal Gear Solid IV on another system. (Okay, I can play Okami using my PS2 version, but it's not the same. I want to pick up the Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD at some point as well for Birth By Sleep Final Mix.) But that's just me; I don't like giving up the ability to play games I loved.
I'm the weird gamer because I never replay any game. From the very worst of the worst to my most favorite game ever (The Last of Us), it is incredibly rare that I ever replay a game. In fact....XCOM may be the ONLY game I have ever fully replayed (sometimes I replay a bit for DLC like Fallout or Mass Effect) and that's for my 360 so it'll remain safe.

shrekfan246

Not actually a Japanese pop star
May 26, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
shrekfan246 said:
I'm the weird gamer because I never replay any game. From the very worst of the worst to my most favorite game ever (The Last of Us), it is incredibly rare that I ever replay a game. In fact....XCOM may be the ONLY game I have ever fully replayed (sometimes I replay a bit for DLC like Fallout or Mass Effect) and that's for my 360 so it'll remain safe.
Yeah, my best friend is kind of the same way. If you're confident that you're never going to replay anything, then I don't really think you need to hold on to old consoles. I don't think the PS3 really has anything interesting looming on the horizon.

popa_qwerty

Dec 21, 2010
shrekfan246 said:
popa_qwerty said:
tippy2k2 said:
WhiteNachos said:

He said Best Buy, not Gamestop. EDIT: Not that I imagine the two stores have wildly different trade-in values, but still.

I used Gamestop only because Best Buy only offers a $52.00 gift card for a PS3 and there trade in for games are not any better and some cases worst than Gamestop

https://tradein.bestbuy.com/client/#/catalog/products/appraisal-form?sku=2551052
captcha: Banana Stand funny I was thinking of getting one for my headphones

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
Unless you're desperate for money or are really, really, really (Did I mention really?) sure you do not want to replay the PS3 games you own or there isn't anything out else there of on that system, I'll second what MajorTomServo said. It's almost never worth it selling off a system. That nagging feeling of wishing to play something you used to have will come back. Also, you're usually shafted on trade in values for anything that isn't raw materials.

There's also a big issue of most digital content for the PS3 that you bought being lost (and only regain that stuff if a new PS3 is bought and the old account is loaded). The PS4 doesn't support the games on the PSN made for PS3, not even PSone Classics. You won't be able to move anything over except a few titles that support cross-buy between the generations. The point is moot if you never bought anything, though.

They say in big print: "Minimum $175 in Best Buy gift cards when you trade in a working Xbox 360 250GB or Sony PS3 Slim console at a participating Best Buy store." Then the fine print comes in: "Trade in any working Xbox 360 or PS3 console and receive a $75 coupon toward a PS4 console. Trade in a working Xbox 360 250GB or Sony Playstation 3 Slim and receive a minimum $100 gift card." So what is it for a PS3 Slim or Xbox 360 250GB? $100 or $175?

Just watch out for shenanigans if you do trade in anything. Maybe they are just trying to reel people in the door to make them think "Well, I'm already here. I might as well go with the $100." or "$100 isn't a good enough deal, but I do want to buy some games, movies, overpriced toasters, etc." I wouldn't give away my PS3 for just one Benny.

Remember, Best Buy has been known for swindling people in the past. Many times.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
Its starting to dry up tbh. The only new PS3 games I am getting now are ones I am importing from Japan namely the Sword art online RPG and the platinum edition of the Gundam Vs game I dont think there is much after that but there could be a few gems that I dont know about.

I think it really up to you to do the research on this one and do what you want I dont think you will get much out of asking on the forums. I always keep all my old consoles and games I just dont think the trade in is worth it but ofc if you do never replay games and dont want the hassle of selling things off privately maybe a trade in is good.

ecoho

Jun 16, 2010
tippy2k2 said:
The local Best Buy has themselves a nice little trade in deal going on when you trade your PS3 for a PS4 (same with the 360 for Xbox One I suppose but then I'd have to get a Xbox One and...ew).

To the best of my knowledge, there is not really anything on the horizon for the PS3 that's worth keeping it for (and what will come out worth getting is also PS4-able like Persona 5). However, I also do not pay anywhere near the same attention to the gaming market as I used to. Therefore I call upon the people of The Escapist for answers:

Is there anything coming out on the PS3 that is worth keeping it over (that I wouldn't be able to get for the PS4)?
a new tales game is coming out this year for ps3 so if you like those theres a reason:)

blipblop

May 21, 2009
nah unless you want to keep it for 20 - 40 years and hope there will be collectors out there and you have some games that gonna be worth something in the future.

verdant monkai

Oct 30, 2011
tippy2k2 said:
How much do you like anime looking rpg's. There's always a few of them in the works for the ps3. Like the Atelier series or the Ar Tonelico games.

joest01

Apr 15, 2009
If you can afford it keep it around if just for the ps+ games. Those are different for ps3 and ps4.

There are also a lot of additional deals on ps3 lately. I think I bought Dante's Inferno for 3 bucks. GoW Ascension for 7 etc.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Hairless Mammoth said:
Unless you're desperate for money or are really, really, really (Did I mention really?) sure you do not want to replay the PS3 games you own or there isn't anything out else there of on that system, I'll second what MajorTomServo said. It's almost never worth it selling off a system. That nagging feeling of wishing to play something you used to have will come back. Also, you're usually shafted on trade in values for anything that isn't raw materials.

There's also a big issue of most digital content for the PS3 that you bought being lost (and only regain that stuff if a new PS3 is bought and the old account is loaded). The PS4 doesn't support the games on the PSN made for PS3, not even PSone Classics. You won't be able to move anything over except a few titles that support cross-buy between the generations. The point is moot if you never bought anything, though.

They say in big print: "Minimum $175 in Best Buy gift cards when you trade in a working Xbox 360 250GB or Sony PS3 Slim console at a participating Best Buy store." Then the fine print comes in: "Trade in any working Xbox 360 or PS3 console and receive a $75 coupon toward a PS4 console. Trade in a working Xbox 360 250GB or Sony Playstation 3 Slim and receive a minimum $100 gift card." So what is it for a PS3 Slim or Xbox 360 250GB? $100 or $175?

Just watch out for shenanigans if you do trade in anything. Maybe they are just trying to reel people in the door to make them think "Well, I'm already here. I might as well go with the $100." or "$100 isn't a good enough deal, but I do want to buy some games, movies, overpriced toasters, etc." I wouldn't give away my PS3 for just one Benny.

Remember, Best Buy has been known for swindling people in the past. Many times.
That fine print is pretty standard for Best Buy. I suppose I'm not "technically" getting $175 off....I'm getting $75 off with a $100 gift card but for my purposes and shopping habits, it's pretty much the same thing.

However, I have now demonstrated why I'm not allowed to use the sharp scissors while at work for I have completely forgotten that I have my own games still on the PS3 that haven't been played thanks to your digital reminder. So well done internet citizen!

Mods, it's not like it hurts to have the thread open for others but my exact purposes have been fulfilled now. Thank you everyone for your thoughts and help here.

asdfen

Oct 27, 2011
812 reasons to keep ps3 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_3_games_released_on_disc
since ps3 does not have an emulator and ps4 is not backwards compatible you will need ps3 to play most of those games.