APB Is Dead; Long Live APB

GBlair88

Jan 10, 2009
Korias said:
Except it's not a failed game. It's a WIP Game. It shouldn't have been released with the bugs it had but there's no reason why it can't be fixed with a few changes to the mechanics.

And the Character Creator technology is worth big money... that's reason alone to buy it.
Pretty much this. It was a good concept and a pretty decent game but the version that was released wasn't much different from what they had at the end of the BETA stage. A few tweeks and a bit of balancing and the game would've been fine.

binvjoh said:
Well that's cool for the people who bought the game. Must have stung a bit not getting to play it more than a couple of months.
Due to some strange problem with the accounts server I only got to play it for a couple of hours.

xDHxD148L0

The Dissapointed Gamer
Apr 16, 2009
I really hopes it end up in good hands, and I'm especially hoping Epic does buy it, the game is already using Unreal engine and those guys have already proven they know how to make 3rd person shooters.

The Random One

May 29, 2008
If it comes back I just might end up trying it.

...Oh god, was it a huge marketing ploy, like Good Old Games?

lowbird

Aug 20, 2008
Daystar Clarion said:
Seems like a bad idea. Why do you think the game failed in the first place?
I'd bet that the horrible subscription model did not only scare me away from trying the game out.

Delock

Mar 4, 2009
Like Duke Nukem Forever, even if it get's its second chance, it will forever be a famous standard in games dealing with time (in DNF's case, at least it didn't cost gamer's a full game unless you fully paid off a preorder, and even then if you kept your reciept, an impressive feat at that, you'll get that back), that will forever be a comparison you will face if your time is anywhere near it.

TriggerHappyAngel

Self-Important Angler Fish
Feb 17, 2010
buying the rights for a failed game may sound crazy, but if they can turn it into a great game then that would be awesome :)

Fenra

Sep 17, 2008
Hmm, well its good news I guess for some, I have a feeling though, and maybe its just that but... an announcement at some point in the future of APB being free to play but funded by micro transactions, you know for different cars, weapons, character slots and so on, actualy that might work and encourage more to try the game out, either way best of luck to whoever buys it.

Nukeforyou

Mar 26, 2010
i had fun on apb.. but oddly enough the most fun was the last day where everyone stopped caring, ppl openly farming for 5star to act crazy with car bombs and gas station parties

tetron

Dec 9, 2009
I'm sure all this game needs is a little work. There's one much like it out called Crimecraft and it seems to be doing fine. It's free to play with micro transactions which seems to be the flavor of the day for games today. I'd see APB doing that and I'd probably play it if it did.

WittyInfidel

Aug 30, 2010
I never heard of it until the Escapist posted an article about how it was being shut down.

My response then was: That's sad...I guess.

Upon hearing it might live again, my response is: That's good...I guess.

Sorry, I don't know much about the game, and I'm not really worried about doing any research on it. I often wondered in the past (around GTA: San Andres) how long it would be before a GTA MMO surfaced.

Now I know...I guess.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Woodsey said:
I still can't believe they released it as it was even after all the beta testing.
It was EA that pushed the release so they could get a return. I totally understand the decision given the time and budget. I mean, I'd never say the same thing for Duke Nukem Forever. If that game came out, and turned out to be unfinished and buggy, I'd want it to be sent back to the game hell it came from.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Zer_ said:
Woodsey said:
I still can't believe they released it as it was even after all the beta testing.
It was EA that pushed the release so they could get a return. I totally understand the decision given the time and budget. I mean, I'd never say the same thing for Duke Nukem Forever. If that game came out, and turned out to be unfinished and buggy, I'd want it to be sent back to the game hell it came from.
I thought they were only joined with EA Partners, who's only involvement is putting up the money and distributing it?

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
I put what money into it I am willing to ... even in ressurection I can't go back.

Zer_

Rocket Scientist
Feb 7, 2008
Woodsey said:
Zer_ said:
Woodsey said:
I thought they were only joined with EA Partners, who's only involvement is putting up the money and distributing it?
Yes, but if you put up a lot of money, and didn't get a return, you'd be pretty pissed too. Just look at what happened to Ion Storm.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Reminds me of the line in 'Viva La Vida'

"Listen as the crowd would sing, now the old king is dead long live the king."

Hmmm... hopefully they do it right this time.

Aug 25, 2009
Although I wasn't that taken with any of the marketing or looks of APB itself, the idea of getting to play a cop in something akin to the GTA or Saints Row universe did appeal to me.

I guess it would rank up there on my list of 'Games I want made.'

Singleplayer Superhero sandbox

Cop's viewpiont Saints Row

Cop's viewpoint Superhero Sandbox (anyone who's read the excellent Gotham Central should understand why)