APB Is Dead; Long Live APB

Rigs83

Elite Member
Feb 10, 2009
My guess they will redo it as a free MMO and fill it up with ad space. Think of this as an expanded version of GTA4 with Obama Hope Change posters everywhere

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Xzi said:
I played the beta, and it really wasn't all that bad. I think their mistake was targeting two separate types of gamer with this single game. GTA lovers, and MMO lovers. Given enough time, however, I think it would gain popularity. It was just a very obscure title at launch.
I think the big mistake was more banking on a game that was in development hell for so long. I was hyped for the MMO/Sandbox hybrid, but it was a couple years back. By the time it finally came out, I think it was probably too little, too late for too many people.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Nouw said:
Reminds me of the line in 'Viva La Vida'

"Listen as the crowd would sing, now the old king is dead long live the king."

Hmmm... hopefully they do it right this time.
Probably because Coldplay nicked it from the same source.

KefkaCultist

Jun 8, 2010
I didn't play the game but from what I've heard it wasn't a bad game. I don't think it was advertised enough because I didn't even hear of it until it was already out and still didn't know what it was.

Master10K

Feb 12, 2010
If you want to know exactly what caused APB to fail, then watch this Interview [http://www.gamebreaker.tv/game-breaker/the-demise-of-apb/2010/10]. It goes into detail on the process of the game's development and what lead to it's inevitable failure.

With some much needed patches and a huge cash injection APB, could come back from the dead but it will take some time and effort to win back the fan's trust.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Would I purchase rights to finished core coding?
Depends what I would use those servers for.

Don't be so quick to dismiss this acquisition; there was some real scratch behind APB. There's bound to be something of value left over.

catalyst8

Oct 29, 2008
The downfall of APB & subsequently RTW was unarguably due to a complex combination of factors, & it's certainly sad that they went into administration for the relatively paltry debt of £3 million. APB was an incredibly ambitious project, but in the true British sense of adventure RTW literally put their company life on the line to deliver what they'd promised. These people aren't fools, they knew what they were getting into, & they were certainly aware of the risks they were taking.

What I find perverse is the contemptible way so many people seemed to revel in, & even celebrate APB & RTW's failure. People lost their jobs & careers, people who bought the game lost their (admittedly small) investment of paying for their purchase, yet the real tragedy is this:

A large amount of genuinely sickening individuals publicly gloat at the very real misfortune of others; that's a clinically recognized sign of mental illness.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Nouw said:
Reminds me of the line in 'Viva La Vida'

"Listen as the crowd would sing, now the old king is dead long live the king."

Hmmm... hopefully they do it right this time.
Probably because Coldplay nicked it from the same source.
I am confused.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
The concept is sound, but from all evidence it is going to need a real workover before the public takes a chance at it. I wouldn't be surprised if it does get rereleased, that it is with a new name.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
Even if somebody does buy it, it'll always be that game that got closed down after a couple months 'cause it sucked.

wastaz

Mmm...brains...
Nov 16, 2009
I find this quite interesting since EA was giving out free games as a "bribe" to people complaining that APB was shut down. I myself got a free copy of bad company 2 this way. I wonder if I can still play APB if it re-surfaces even though I got a free replacement-game for it.... :) Not that I really care either way, but it's interesting!

BeastofShadow

Jun 29, 2009
So is this the Jesus of MMOs? A game that was humble and intresting in it's short life that dies, rises and develops a massive following?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Nouw said:
I am confused.
The line you quoted is based on the classic line "The King is dead; long live the King," Which is what the thread's title references.

In short, the reason you're reminded is because they both come from the same original material.

Lenriak

Apr 15, 2009
I thought the game was making some nice improvements right before it was shut down.
I'd say the games 3 biggest problems were:
- the early release
- the monthly fee model that nobody was interested in paying (blame the more vocal members of APB Evolved as far as I'm concerned, they all bitched about the idea of a free-to-play with micro-transacrions model claiming it would attract to many immature little kiddies who didn't need a C.Card to play the game.)
- and the fact that NOOOOBODY knew of the game until it was too late (during its development out of every single person I knew in real life and online, only 1 person actually heard of this game. And a lot of us live in the same damn city its made in!!).

I don't think it would be too hard to fix most of the games problems. Hopefully APBs current rep doesn't harm its re-release too badly. Be curious to know what they'd do (if anything) for players if they still have paid game time when the game comes out.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Nouw said:
I am confused.
The line you quoted is based on the classic line "The King is dead; long live the King," Which is what the thread's title references.

In short, the reason you're reminded is because they both come from the same original material.
I just got it! Well ironically before I read your post.