APB Reloaded Closed Beta Sign-Ups Now Being Taken

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002

APB Reloaded is now taking applications for its closed beta test, but be warned: the sign-up process is easy now but gets tricky later.

APB, as you may recall, was an announced earlier this month [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/103539-APB-Comes-to-a-Premature-End] that a closed beta test for a reworked version of the game, APB Reloaded, would begin in February.

It's not quite ready yet but GamersFirst is now taking applications from gamers interested in giving it a try. The process at this point is quite simple; go to www.gamersfirst.com/apb [http://www.gamersfirst.com/apb/] and submit your email address in the "stay up to date" box, then create a GamersFirst account. (You can probably create the account first, if that's how you roll.) But after that, things get a little trickier.

A couple of weeks before the test begins, GamersFirst will send out emails to applicants with a link to activate beta accounts. Those who want to take part will have to submit "a lot of additional data, among other things your DxDiag (if you don't know that is, then you might not be a great closed beta candidate) and some additional information about you, as well as about your system and your own background as a gamer." Once that's verified, a closed beta key will be sent out.

GamersFirst says it has received about 20,000 registrations so far and expects that 10 to 20 percent of sign-ups will actually meet the requirements to get in. The goal is 6000 to 8000 players for the closed beta, so there's still plenty of opportunity for those who want to take part. For those who don't make it or just don't feel like horsing around with all the extra work, an open beta phase is also planned, although there was nothing said about when that will take place.

For more information about the coming beta test, check out the APB Reloaded blog [http://apbreloaded.blogspot.com/2011/01/end-of-week-8-update-steps-to-join-beta.html]. APB Reloaded is currently targeted for launch in the first half of 2011.

DaHero

Jan 10, 2011
Now if they actually READ the applications I'll be beyond shocked (looking at you Nexon)

SilverHammerMan

Jul 26, 2009
Mustn't.... ask.... what.... DxDiag is!

Anyway, sounds cool, but my PC is pretty old and terrible since I don't use it for gaming, so I doubt that I'd actually get into the beta. Huzzah for Free2Play games though, if and when DC Universe Online goes Free2Play me and my PS3 will be all over that.

EDIT: Oh, it's a diagnostic system. Thanks Wikipedia! Yeah, I'm definitely not getting into that beta.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
They did exactly the same thing with the original version of the game.
I am hoping with reloaded that they add a lot of good stuff to the game, such as perhaps a cover system and more variety in terms of gameplay.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
I like the idea, it'a beta TEST, not a public demo of the game, beta tests are supposed to be that, TESTS, you're not supposed to enjoy the game, you're just there as a free volunteer and send feedback, just like a real game tester, but without getting paid.

Also, they want to make sure the game won't flop again like last time, so they're only being rational and cautious.

And for people not knowing what the heck is a DxDiag, it's a file you can create whenever you want and it details every single aspect of your PC, like wich drivers you're using and if they're up to date, among other stuff.

zombie711

Aug 17, 2009
complex stuff for an avarage at best game
Andy Chalk said:

(if you don't know that is, then you might not be a great closed beta candidate)
I belive you ment to say If you dont know what that is.

Sarah Kerrigan

Jan 17, 2010
I put my email in for the hell of it. I can't wait to see how they fix this game. i'm pretty optimistic.

Retardinator

Nov 2, 2009
Unfortunately, according to the criteria, I might be well suited for this. Damn shame I haven't got time, though.

HaraDaya

Nov 9, 2009
Another thing to change is cooking grenades. It's cheap and annoying to be on the wrong end of. There was players with health upgrades who'd throw a grenade at their own feet if you were close enough, and sure enough if it didn't kill you, you'd be so low on health it'd practically be effortless to finish you off.
And lets not even get started on Less Than Lethal weapons.

Personally I didn't mind how the missions were always defend A, go to B and so on. I'd love to see some mini-games when doing objectives.

Booze Zombie said:
They did exactly the same thing with the original version of the game.
I am hoping with reloaded that they add a lot of good stuff to the game, such as perhaps a cover system and more variety in terms of gameplay.
A cover system is what I missed the most. At least they have leaning, which at least gives you the option to stay somewhat in cover.

Nukeforyou

Mar 26, 2010
I'm really happy to hear they are trying to give you back your old character!

I spent a good amount of time customizing him and I don't think I'd be able to recreate him again.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
That Guy Who Phails said:
Me55enger said:
Looking forward to it...

... again...
Me too, did you actually get to play it before it went into the game equivalent of cardiac arrest?

Cus I didn't.
Yes, I did. I was also in the first beta, second phase.

The combat is as well balanced as a witch trial. The maps are vast, well designed and have more campsites than Yellowstone park. The lag is often bad, especially combined with the driving, which they were only just sorting out when they sank. The AH was full of poor player made hentai and 80% of the characters had no clothes and breasts that made them bulletproof.

But it had the seeds of an epic game. You'll love it. Providing you're patient.

And for Christ sakes go enforcer. Waiting for back up was what killed the game.

SeedyGonzalez

Jan 21, 2011
With the forthcoming release of the APB Reloaded Beta [http://www.apbr.net] I just want to tell the world how happy i will be to get back to the street of San Paro so I can get back in my van , get 3 other poepl ein the van and drive down the street running people over while getting chased by some nooby enforcers.

I am praying hard that I get in to the APB Reloaded Closed BETA!

SeedyGonzalez

Jan 21, 2011
Me55enger said:
...And for Christ sakes go enforcer. Waiting for back up was what killed the game.
My guy is a criminal. He is waiting for me in san paro.. hes been waiting for months now. Im not going to let him down!!

Enforcers .. they are canon fodder

Antari

Music Slave
Nov 4, 2009
SupahGamuh said:
I like the idea, it'a beta TEST, not a public demo of the game, beta tests are supposed to be that, TESTS, you're not supposed to enjoy the game, you're just there as a free volunteer and send feedback, just like a real game tester, but without getting paid.

Also, they want to make sure the game won't flop again like last time, so they're only being rational and cautious.

And for people not knowing what the heck is a DxDiag, it's a file you can create whenever you want and it details every single aspect of your PC, like wich drivers you're using and if they're up to date, among other stuff.
True which is why I won't be signing up unless they want to pay me.

Me55enger

Dec 16, 2008
SeedyGonzalez said:
Me55enger said:
...And for Christ sakes go enforcer. Waiting for back up was what killed the game.
My guy is a criminal. He is waiting for me in san paro.. hes been waiting for months now. Im not going to let him down!!

Enforcers .. they are canon fodder
Then ill see you on the streets.

Well... most of you...

... well... whatever they find that's left of you...