Apocalypse Lane: Episode Four: Monster Date

Diablini

May 24, 2009
This show is about to figure out the right formula for success. The quality of the jokes is undisputed but their quantity was poor. The new episode brings on more funny moments and makes the episode a lot better. Just keep speed up the pace with the humor and you may find your show being watched and praised a lot more.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
You're getting a bit more creative and I like it. This episode was less predictable and I liked the whole concept. I'm really getting into this series now.

|.|HaL

Apr 12, 2008
Hamster at Dawn said:
You're getting a bit more creative and I like it. This episode was less predictable and I liked the whole concept. I'm really getting into this series now.
Hmmm, yea..., farts and burps,...... soooooo creative.
I too have been watching this since it's debut, hoping for something more but it just isn't gonna happen. There's no spark and just four episodes in the writing is reduced to farts and burps. In fact, I think the writer knows full well the effect a burp coupled with a funny face has on even the most mature of us, so not only was it cheap it was also contrived.
So far, all I've seen are characters "ripped-off" from other far superior animated sit-coms, stripped of personality and given crumby dialogue. People wouln't give this the time of day were it on televison and that's the HUGE difference between the quality of this and some other Escapist series'. I might've given it one more week as a last ditch attempt to find something inspired in this series but not now. Gtfo with your farts and burps. Lazy. Plain lazy.

Catchy theme tune tho.

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
|.|HaL said:
Hamster at Dawn said:
Hmmm, yea..., farts and burps,...... soooooo creative.
I too have been watching this since it's debut, hoping for something more but it just isn't gonna happen. There's no spark and just four episodes in the writing is reduced to farts and burps. In fact, I think the writer knows full well the effect a burp coupled with a funny face has on even the most mature of us, so not only was it cheap it was also contrived.
So far, all I've seen are characters "ripped-off" from other far superior animated sit-coms, stripped of personality and given crumby dialogue. People wouln't give this the time of day were it on televison and that's the HUGE difference between the quality of this and some other Escapist series'. I might've given it one more week as a last ditch attempt to find something inspired in this series but not now. Gtfo with your farts and burps. Lazy. Plain lazy.

Catchy theme tune tho.
OK, I agree with you on the farts and burps but I just like the overall feel of the show. It seems you either love it or hate it. I'm not trying to convert anyone, if you don't like it then that's your own opinion and no one's making you watch it. I'm just trying to be positive about a show that I am mildly enjoying and seems to be improving gradually.

Dimeinurear

Apr 7, 2009
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I think the show could use a little more randomness. I mean, the stuff is funny if you're into this kind of humor, but it's all so predictable that its tough to find a moment that makes you laugh out loud or even chuckle.
I agree that the randomness is a bit lacking, but this show makes a difference because it has punchlines... kind of.

Keep it up, lovin' it so far

Edit: I would recommend y'all try and find a female voice actor.. your voice on a higher pitch doesn't really compensate all that well xD

defaultuser

Jun 5, 2009
RocketPocket said:
Insert Funny Name Here said:
Sorry, but I give up on the show. I gave it a chance, but I guess the humour is not for me. The only thing that brought a smile was Steve's whining. Think Ill stick with the likes of ZP, UR and Unskippable.
So..... don't post?
Some like it, some don't. I for one, love it. Keep up the good work Pete.

stopitstupid

Jun 19, 2009
it may just be my computer, but when she asks him what he's having, the picture freezes on her. The sound continues going but the picture freezes. Viewing it a second time I found that if I use my mouse to skip the part where she asks what he's having the video works normally. I can't figure it out.

|.|HaL

Apr 12, 2008
Hamster at Dawn said:
OK, I agree with you on the farts and burps but I just like the overall feel of the show. It seems you either love it or hate it. I'm not trying to convert anyone, if you don't like it then that's your own opinion and no one's making you watch it.
I find it difficult to imagine anyone having such extreme emotions as "Love" or "Hate" for this series. Ofc you're right; it's all subjective, ..I suppose.

Hamster at Dawn said:
I'm just trying to be positive about a show that I am mildly enjoying and seems to be improving gradually.
Such a lukewarm statement given that you've only just said "you either love it or hate it" ... but, whatever ...
Wouldn't you rather not have to TRY to be positive about a show you were maybe like ... REALLY enjoying, that felt fully formed/refined and like it'd had some effort put into it before it was inflicted on the public? It's that kind of tepid, middle of the road, "meh, it's ok, leave it alone" kind of attitude that puts so much dross on our tv, into games, into our cinemas, on our radios etc etc etc. I can't help feeling that there is actual talent out there much more worthy of this slot than Apocalypse Lane. Perhaps even something ..... erm ... GAME RELATED? :p Not that I'm against expanding horizons, branching out etc etc but really,... come on, at least make it interesting.

daedrick

Jul 23, 2008
I laughed, but it need more references and randomness, IMO! Keep them coming tough! :)

Generator

May 8, 2009
sneakypenguin said:
I couldn't do it I tried to like this series but I can't say it's grown on me. O well at least there's unskippable to look forward to.
I agree with everything in this statement. Still, it's not bad, just not really my humor. Good luck, anyways.

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
Dimeinurear said:
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
I think the show could use a little more randomness. I mean, the stuff is funny if you're into this kind of humor, but it's all so predictable that its tough to find a moment that makes you laugh out loud or even chuckle.
I agree that the randomness is a bit lacking, but this show makes a difference because it has punchlines... kind of.

Keep it up, lovin' it so far

Edit: I would recommend y'all try and find a female voice actor.. your voice on a higher pitch doesn't really compensate all that well xD
Hahaha. Yeah we have some female actors lined up for future episodes. "Monster Date" was one of those ideas that came out of nowhere the day we were recording and we took a risk and went with it. :p

I agree it sucks not having a real female voice but then again... they are monsters. Who knows what they sound like. :)

-Jon
-Creator of Apocalypse Lane

Jon Etheridge

Appsro Animation
Apr 28, 2009
thecaptainof said:
Proof positive that the time-honoured tradition of resorting to fart noises can always raise a giggle, even from those of us who might otherwise be considered mature. :p
Look. There is nothing wrong with a fart joke. People who say that they are "above" that kind of humor are living in some strange world where they forgot how to have a good time.

-Jon

Mar 16, 2009
This show's humor isn't as appealing as shows like Unforgotten Realms with time-tested D&D humor, and Zero Punctuation's bitter sarcasm, but I think it still does a good job. It needs to find its footing, and it will most likely exceed expectations at that point.
This episode and Poker Night seem to show a preference towards pushing jokes till they become funny again. I think it works well.