Apocalypse Lane: Episode Two: Poker Night

AkJay

Feb 22, 2009
Littlenorwegians said:
Find me the funny. . .
I can't find it. Being just plain silly by going "This is like a typical thing in our society, but after the apocalypse." doesn't work.
"HEY! It's a gay person, but hes a ghoul.

And the heavy usage of censor beep has been done plenty of times before. I knew after 3 seconds the guys around the table would drop their jaws and there would be an awkward silence.

A cute thing you don't expect to have a deep, throaty voice has also been used. Fex, the baby from Who Fooled Roger Rabbit.

I'm only speaking for myself of course, but I can't laugh at this.
It's not offensive, sick, witty, shocking and certainly not original in my book.
I am of course open for this show to improve and wish the best of luck in doing so, that is to say if you want to improve the show.
Well, if you look at the first post which states "1 out of 10", opinions are not welcome here...

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
AkJay said:
Well, if you look at the first post which states "1 out of 10", opinions are not welcome here...
That's a rather simplistic interpretation. If you look closely you'll see plenty of opinions on display, positive and negative, very few of which, in fact, have garnered moderator ire.

I think a better interpretation would be, as another moderator pointed out elsewhere in the thread, that purely negative, troll-like comments lacking any constructive addition to the conversation are heavily discouraged. Which, if you'll take a look at the general forum guidelines stickied at the top over every forum, is pretty much the rule of the land in all of our forums.

10BIT

Sep 14, 2008
Russ Pitts said:
AkJay said:
That's a rather simplistic interpretation. If you look closely you'll see plenty of opinions on display, positive and negative, very few of which, in fact, have garnered moderator ire.

I think a better interpretation would be, as another moderator pointed out elsewhere in the thread, that purely negative, troll-like comments lacking any constructive addition to the conversation are heavily discouraged. Which, if you'll take a look at the general forum guidelines stickied at the top over every forum, is pretty much the rule of the land in all of our forums.
I think it's more to do with the fact that he posted the same minute the video was posted, showing that he never watched the video before posting a negative comment and thus was justly considered trolling.

I really did not like this episode. It was extremely generic and poorly delivered, so it quickly managed to become my least favourite attempt at comedy I have ever witnessed (yes, I disliked this episode more than the previous one). I'd be asking the escapist when they plan on dropping this series if it weren't for all the positive comments, so I'll just be adding this to my 'Stuff to Ignore' list instead.

Russ Pitts

The Boss of You
May 1, 2006
saikanoto said:
I'd be asking the escapist when they plan on dropping this series if it weren't for all the positive comments, so I'll just be adding this to my 'Stuff to Ignore' list instead.
I think that's a very responsible and mature way to deal, saikanoto.

Believe me, as the head of the video department here at The Escapist, I'd love for everyone to love everything we produce, but I'm not so much of a fool that I genuinely expect that to ever happen.

We produce a lot of different kinds of content, and it's a virtual guarantee some of it will not be to the linking of some people. All we can ask is that, if you see something you don't like, you please try to be Zen about it and accept that different people have different tastes.

I think it's the height of arrogance to assume that simply because you don't enjoy a thing it should "go away". As if we each as individuals were important enough to make that decision for everyone else. I mean seriously, guys. Give me a break.

Obviously there are some things here you enjoy or you wouldn't be here. All I can ask is that, if you find yourself confronted with something here you don't enjoy, you let it pass and take solace in the fact that we're just as enthusiastic about producing the content you do enjoy as we are about producing the content you don't.

No one here is out to get anyone or force anyone to watch free content that will make their heads explode. I promise. We're simply serving up a variety of things we think are awesome in their own special ways, and hoping we can share that awesomeness with our friends, the wonderful people who make up The Escapist community.

As far as Apocalypse Lane is concerned, I and the rest of the team here think it's funny and brilliant and truly original or else it wouldn't be on the site. Period. I hope you can give it a chance, but if it doesn't float your boat, then that's OK, too. Life will go on for all of us :)

Infiniteloop

Jan 14, 2009
Am I the only one who originally thought the ghoul was a girl?

edit: I think it is a girl, why would a guy be wearing a sun dress in the story?

T-Blade

Jun 12, 2008
People may say that this isn't original or funny, But I love this the censoring always makes me laugh, I knew it was going to happen but I still Lol'd.
But It might be the way where I have simple tastes.

Artorius

Mar 18, 2009
Ashbax said:
Beltom1066 said:
The beginning was a bit slow but I couldn't help laughing when that zombie started telling it's story. Better than lasts weeks but could still use some work.

I agree completeley ^^ it was definiteley better than last week - they are learning from their mistakes. I bet this show is gonna turn out great pretty soon, No doubt with a few Fo3 references, and I loved the Zombies story.
lol but the zombies story was *Beep*2 by 4*beep* ...*beep beep*
xP....
but the facial expression on them were priceless xP...

Sageeth

Mar 19, 2009
This was much better than last week however if it just continues to be crude jokes and the like that's boring... I don't blame you for not coming up with anything new... nothing is completely new anymore really... but something has to be worthwile. The gay Zombie/Ghoul/thing is the strongest character in my books. The others are kinda meh, including the cat.

Mr Inconsistent

Mar 29, 2009
Russ Pitts said:
saikanoto said:
I'd be asking the escapist when they plan on dropping this series if it weren't for all the positive comments, so I'll just be adding this to my 'Stuff to Ignore' list instead.
I think that's a very responsible and mature way to deal, saikanoto.

Believe me, as the head of the video department here at The Escapist, I'd love for everyone to love everything we produce, but I'm not so much of a fool that I genuinely expect that to ever happen.

We produce a lot of different kinds of content, and it's a virtual guarantee some of it will not be to the linking of some people. All we can ask is that, if you see something you don't like, you please try to be Zen about it and accept that different people have different tastes.

I think it's the height of arrogance to assume that simply because you don't enjoy a thing it should "go away". As if we each as individuals were important enough to make that decision for everyone else. I mean seriously, guys. Give me a break.

Obviously there are some things here you enjoy or you wouldn't be here. All I can ask is that, if you find yourself confronted with something here you don't enjoy, you let it pass and take solace in the fact that we're just as enthusiastic about producing the content you do enjoy as we are about producing the content you don't.

No one here is out to get anyone or force anyone to watch free content that will make their heads explode. I promise. We're simply serving up a variety of things we think are awesome in their own special ways, and hoping we can share that awesomeness with our friends, the wonderful people who make up The Escapist community.

As far as Apocalypse Lane is concerned, I and the rest of the team here think it's funny and brilliant and truly original or else it wouldn't be on the site. Period. I hope you can give it a chance, but if it doesn't float your boat, then that's OK, too. Life will go on for all of us :)
solid reply, man. I personaly love the lovely kitty kat!XD

sneak_copter

Nov 3, 2008
Dude, don't listen to everybody who said this was bad.

Mabye with some sharper writing and longer episodes, this could become THE animated series of The Escapist. Yes, that includes Unforgotten Realms.

Abedeus

Sep 14, 2008
adman said:
It was pretty good.

The bleeping was taken from family guy though :/
No, it wasn't. It was done in many shows before. Even in the Simpsons.

"- Aaaah cut me off, will ya? *beep beep* You stupid *beep beep*!
- Dad, that's an ambulance.
- Oooh, right. Well scr*beeep* you ambulance!! You with your *beep* sirene! And your letters spelled backwards!!"

Or Sam and Max in the comics, long before Family Guy.

Zombie_Fish

Opiner of Mottos
Mar 20, 2009
Well, that wasn't a bad episode, but I will say that it was much better than last weeks's and Willy's story was just hilarious.

MrPop

May 14, 2009
I personally liked it. It was funny and I loved the fist motions he made. I think everyones too afraid if they give it a bit of praise everybody will troll back to 'em on the forum. Not everyone has to replicate Yahtzee you know >.>