App Store Holds Huge, Surprise Freebie Sale

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
App Store Holds Huge, Surprise Freebie Sale

As the fifth anniversary of Apple's App Store approaches, an awful lot of popular games and apps have suddenly become free.

A funny thing happened on the way to the App Store: a whole bunch of apps were suddenly and surprisingly made free. And not the crap that nobody cares about, either; we're talking about things like Infinity Blade II, Tiny Wings HD, Superbrothers: Sword & Sworcery EP, Traktor DJ - I don't know what that is, but it normally goes for $20 - and a whole bunch of other stuff, all totally free.

There are some serious deals among those that haven't gone free as well, including LEGO Harry Potter: Years 1-4, which is down from $4.99 to $.99, Bastion, also down from $4.99 to $.99, Batman: Arkham City Lockdown, $5.99 to $.99 and Polaris Office, which has been cut from $12.99 to $4.99.

Why? Nobody knows for sure at this point but the general consensus is that Apple is marking the fifth anniversary of the App Store, which went live on July 10, 2008. Apple has yet to make it official but the apps are cheap, and that's good enough for me. You can check out all the hot, sweet deals on your iThingie or, perhaps more conveniently, at AppShopper.com [http://appshopper.com/prices/].

via: Reddit [http://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/1humo9/ios_apps_and_games_go_free_ahead_of_app_stores/]

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
As a Traktor user on the PC I can't help but feel ripped off it's only $20 on the app store regularly, let alone free.

If Native Instruments stuff was that cheap normally I'd own nearly all of it.

NLS

Norwegian Llama Stylist
Jan 7, 2010
Yeah, while downloading Infinity Blade 2, it mentioned something about celebrating the 5 year anniversary of the App Store.
Grabbed myself Sword and Sworcery, Infinity Blade 2, and Batman LEGO + Arkham.

Nooners

Sep 27, 2009
I want to highly recommend The Quest to everyone here. It's like a turn based Elder Scrolls game. Surprisingly in-depth for such an old (comparatively speaking) iOS game. There is a free demo, I'm almost certain. And there are like, 8 or 9 expansions!

William Fleming

Mar 6, 2011
I might as well grab one or two things here if they are going cheap or free. Especially since the Steam Summer Sale is still MIA.

Dangit2019

Aug 8, 2011
I assume they're hoping we forget about how iOS 6 turned every G1 iPad near useless. I didn't even know until I tried to download Traktor onto my G1 and discovered that it needed iOS 6 to be installed, which apparently isn't compatible with the first iPad.

Now I'm mad.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
Thanks very much for bringing this to my attention. I spent the past 45 minutes getting anything that was free or heavily discounted if it looked interesting.