App Store Rejects "Uncomfortable" Sweatshop Game

DataSnake

Aug 5, 2009
Strain42 said:
Y'know what the saddest part here is? ...I mean aside from the whole censorship etc. etc. stuff and turning a blind eye to a real issue.

It's that the game is actually pretty fun. It's got nice cartoony graphics, pretty hilarious dialogue, and the game just flows pretty nicely.

I would love to play it on my iPod Touch.
So tell that to Apple. I'm not being a smartass here, I mean literally tell that to Apple. If enough customers make noise they may start paying attention.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
Who makes these type of decisions at corporations? If they had just let the game go by there'd be next to no publicity, next to no fuss. But because they DID oppose the game the media is going to lap this up.

How stupid. How very, very stupid.

KeyMaster45

Gone Gonzo
Jun 16, 2008
The website to play the game on is running extremely slow. No doubt because of all the free publicity it just got from Apple removing it from the app store.

yellowmage

Mar 2, 2011
Reminds me of Phone Story, which did the same thing for smartphones and was barred from the App Store for its trouble (probably because it was aimed, with not much in the way of subtlety, at Apple itself). Except it was then released for Android devices. It'd be nice to see the same thing happen here.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well Apple said a long time ago that anything not completely brain dead has no place on their store, their legacy continues.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
Perhaps it's for the best.

If anyone tried to play a game about working in sweatshops on a device built by workers in a sweatshop the hypocrisy would probably reach critical mass and open up some sort of black hole.

mooncalf

<Insert Avatar Here>
Jul 3, 2008
Apple just want to make phones and sell gimmicks, why do people have to complicated that with all their messy emotions?

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
Zombie_Moogle said:
Apple: Protecting the world from information since 2008

I don't use Apple products because I don't like the closed platform; this is why
(also not a fan of the UI, but that's mostly just personal preference)
Should read: "Apple: Protecting the world from information since always!"

Yet another reason why Apple is just the worst!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
rebus_forever said:
uncomfortable with consumers learning how their "i" device was manufactured, a more accurate description.
That's total crap.

...Apple's products are manufactured in mainland sweatshops, not offshore sweatshops!

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
OlasDAlmighty said:
Perhaps it's for the best.

If anyone tried to play a game about working in sweatshops on a device built by workers in a sweatshop the hypocrisy would probably reach critical mass and open up some sort of black hole.
No, that would happen when they used their sweatshop-produced products to tweet about how horribly wrong it is to support sweatshop-produced products.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
Zachary Amaranth said:
rebus_forever said:
uncomfortable with consumers learning how their "i" device was manufactured, a more accurate description.
That's total crap.

...Apple's products are manufactured in mainland sweatshops, not offshore sweatshops!
It really depends on what you consider 'Mainland.'

See:

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.403301-Poll-Where-do-you-live-Now-with-better-poll-options

Only 30% of Escapists who answered the poll live on the North America continent, and an very small number live in China.

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
This seems like an appropriate action to take by a company guilty of what's being represented.
I don't see anything particularly wrong about the title, but it may be because it can encourage thought and questioning in regards to consumerism. And for ethics to get in the way of business, that's bad mmmkay?

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Ed130 said:
It really depends on what you consider 'Mainland.'
"mainland" doesn't refer to your home country. Well, it can, but doesn't automatically.

also, more specific to this case:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mainland_China

But still, I can't believe someone decided to not only bust down a joke for semantics, but incorrect semantics at that.

CBanana

Aug 10, 2010
Looks like this time, the app banning story has only made a handful of gaming news sites and a few tech news sites. In this case, it looks like Apple has for the most part succeeded in squelching the message. I guess if you ban enough apps for political reasons, people stop paying attention.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
A little too close to home for Apple. Since that's where their hardware (and most hardware for that matter) is produced.

Oct 22, 2011
KeyMaster45 said:
The website to play the game on is running extremely slow. No doubt because of all the free publicity it just got from Apple removing it from the app store.
Maybe this game is a bit too "small" to be released on Steam, but i bet it would be greenlit in a heartbeat if devs decided to publish it now.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
PunkRex said:
As if anyone who played this would be anything but a massive ass-hole, people would just play it like a even more fucked up Dungeon Keeper. Not that I don't commend their efforts to spread awareness.
Its free to play, go give it an actual go before telling everyone who played it that they're assholes. Its actually pretty good, its level based and it's got a lot of information in there. Calling everyone who plays it assholes and comparing it to dungeon keeper without playing it is an asshole move in itself.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Practically everyone appears to have the same idea, and I must agree. Wouldn't want to draw attention to one's own dubious manufacturing practises.