Apparently COD is a children's game?

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
http://www.destructoid.com/why-do-the-kids-love-call-of-duty--204608.phtml

after reading this article, i got the strong impression that kids just REALLY love COD for some strange reason. and it seems to be more popular with them and they're more willing to get excited over it than its supposed "target audience"

i, myself, am not at all surprised. the game lacks any real depth and past 4 its been nothing but cash-ins (and even then it was debatable) and (as the article states) its just like Justin Bieber and Harry Potter. any effort (as stated in the article) to present complexity is merely "token" and the straightforwardness is something that was just made for juvenile understanding. where there is really no "are they really bad?" or "see it from their point of view" moments, just "they bad, shoot they ass."

and as the conclusion of the article so beautifully states:
Destructoid said:
Call of Duty is just the videogame adaptation of squirt guns. It makes sense that kids would be drawn to it more so than many adults. The simplicity and sense of empowerment that come from taking a gun and shooting at something or someone knows no age restrictions. However, it does demand a child-like sensibility to take such pursuits seriously enough to prioritize them over other activities. That's why I'm guessing kids love Call of Duty so much.
So what do you think? COD is just juvenile amusement with no real depth or do you have some sort of other side to that?

Off-topic: oh, and this is for all those jackasses who said i needed evidence to back up my claim that a whole mess of kids play COD.

Strain42

Mar 2, 2009
-walks up to a podium, clears his throat and speaks into the microphone-

I believe it

-blows a few bubbles from his bubble pipe and walks away-

Sep 14, 2009
well my younger brothers and all their friends do love COD... more or less its just them having fun together, i hardly ever find my brothers playing them without friends, so i would more or less agree its a fun "squirt gun" activity for the masses to do, but they don't really care beyond it just being themselves...

dstreet121

Feb 21, 2011
I don't know what's worse, these 8 year olds I know who play a lot of COD, or the fact that they can totally kick my ass (in the game).

Vescosein

Apr 2, 2010
Who cares, the series is fun to people and faulting people for liking something that's not "deep" is just ignorant. Because obviously intelligent people can only enjoy deep and meaningful games and fun isn't subjective at all.

I like Dr. Who and that's for kids and lacks any real depth, but millions of adults like it also both stupid and intelligent.

Im really just shoehorning my frustrations here, but who cares about this?

People who dislike call of duty are far more annoying than those who do like it, the haters never shut the fuck up. You can't watch any youtube video with an FPS without kids saying "derp it's better dan call of duty"

Anyway, of course the games lack depth and are easy juvenile fun. But the point is that its fun for many people regardless of whatever intelligence you think someone has. The people who relate what someone likes to a persons intelligence are the real ignorant ones because obviously the world is black and white in terms of enjoying things and intelligence.

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
dstreet121 said:
I don't know what's worse, these 8 year olds I know who play a lot of COD, or the fact that they can totally kick my ass (in the game).
Yeah in the game.
Children probably play GTA, Halo etc. It's not childish

Gregg Lonsdale

Jan 14, 2011
It's not a game designed for children, but it is childish. Or maybe childish isn't the right word, simple perhaps. run, shoot, die, that's about it. not surprising it's easy for young teenagers to pick up.

Ruiner87

Jul 23, 2008
It's a game where you get to shoot at people with guns. Of course kids are going to bloody like it! Children are well aware that shooting people is bad. It's mature, they're not allowed to do it, and therefore they find great joy in being able to play a game with such "mature" content. Nevermind the fact that it's fast paced and easy to play.

Edit: That being said, Call of Duty is played by a wide variety of age groups. Out of the group of friends I play with, I'm probably the youngest (at 17) and a couple of the guys I play with are married. To say that Call of Duty is a children's game is to look at the community with a very narrow-minded point of view.

redisforever

Oct 5, 2009
Not only that, but I think it requires little thought. I actually, just today, played the campaign for Black Ops at a friends house. For the first time. I think I went into it with the wrong mindset. I tried to think analytically. Didn't work, I got confused, and quit after 3 minutes.

Valate_v1legacy

Sep 16, 2009
Yes, yes it is. Once people hit 21-25 they (usually) start to rapidly lose interest in CoD type cookie cutter FPS games.

Davey Woo

Jan 9, 2009
Some kids like to play around with toy guns, so I guess those kinda kids would be interested in Call of Duty, because it's the same thing only you can play it when it's raining outside! =D

TitenSxull

Feb 17, 2009
Call of Duty is by no means just a kids game. I do think it can appeal to kids, particular teenage to pre-teen boys. It's happened to just about anyone who's played COD multiplayer with a mic plugged in, the whining prepubescent voices of someone complaining about how bad you just destroyed them. However Call of Duty also appeals to adults, I've had several friends in their forties on my friend's list that like to play Call of Duty just as much as I do.

Many games/movies/songs will appeal to multiple demographics and age groups. As a kid I loved grown-up movies, I grew up with Predator, Terminator and even watched stuff other kids would have thought of as boring (Twilight Zone for instance). Yet as an adult I can still watch and enjoy a re-run of Spongebob I've seen a dozen times.

So I'd say Call of Duty merely appeals to multiple demographics.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Azaraxzealot said:
http://www.destructoid.com/why-do-the-kids-love-call-of-duty--204608.phtml

after reading this article, i got the strong impression that kids just REALLY love COD for some strange reason. and it seems to be more popular with them and they're more willing to get excited over it than its supposed "target audience"

i, myself, am not at all surprised. the game lacks any real depth and past 4 its been nothing but cash-ins (and even then it was debatable) and (as the article states) its just like Justin Bieber and Harry Potter. any effort (as stated in the article) to present complexity is merely "token" and the straightforwardness is something that was just made for juvenile understanding. where there is really no "are they really bad?" or "see it from their point of view" moments, just "they bad, shoot they ass."

and as the conclusion of the article so beautifully states:
Destructoid said:
Call of Duty is just the videogame adaptation of squirt guns. It makes sense that kids would be drawn to it more so than many adults. The simplicity and sense of empowerment that come from taking a gun and shooting at something or someone knows no age restrictions. However, it does demand a child-like sensibility to take such pursuits seriously enough to prioritize them over other activities. That's why I'm guessing kids love Call of Duty so much.
So what do you think? COD is just juvenile amusement with no real depth or do you have some sort of other side to that?

Off-topic: oh, and this is for all those jackasses who said i needed evidence to back up my claim that a whole mess of kids play COD.
Just because CoD has little depth, doesn't mean that it's juvenile to enjoy it. Look at Sucker Punch, or any number of trashy romance novels, or Boxing. There are hundreds of adult themed and oriented entertainment sources with little or no depth at all. I know that as an adult, I really like to have some entertainment where I can just shut my brain off and enjoy it.