Apple Blocks Sales of Samsung Galaxy Tablet in EU countries

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2011/aug/10/samsung-galaxy-tablets-seized

So basically Apple has won a temporary injunction to stop the sale of the Samsung Galaxy tablet in most European countries and is also going to try and stop the sale of the Samsung Galaxy phone as well.

I used to be pretty indifferent to Apple and I never really understood why there is so much hate for them. But considering I much prefer Samsung's tablet over the iPad, can't say I'm too please with this decision. It seems a bit far-fetched to be able to stop the sale of a competitors tablet because it also features round curves and a big screen.

So what do you think of this? Bad court decision? Expected behaviour from Apple?

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Expected behavior by apple. Pepsi has been copying Coke for going on a century now, Coke has stopped giving a shit and both companies are doing fine. I think apple is just afraid of the competition

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
What's the matter, scared? Jeez, Apple... The creation of the Galaxy tab and phone isn't gonna make you go under >.>

renegade7

Feb 9, 2011
Old bit of business advice: It's not about who does it first, it's about who does it best.

Is Apple just going to sue everything with a touchscreen now?

Apr 24, 2008
Apple doesn't own the tablet, chrome edges or black.

The design is actually very much in-keeping with how Samsung products have looked for a long time, maybe it's scary to see competitor products with better functionality entering the space. I mean...USB sockets and flash support, wow! How could anyone compete?

In which case the only thing to do is destroy the competition, right?

RADlTZ

Nov 19, 2009
What a dick move, letting apple get a monopoly on tablet-screens is a horrible idea (thats just the first thing I think of in relation to this, yeah I could be wrong etc), their hardware products are retardedly overpriced as it is, concidering you can get far more power for less of your dollar from other brands.

renegade7 said:
Old bit of business advice: It's not about who does it first, it's about who does it best.

Is Apple just going to sue everything with a touchscreen now?
Yes.

Lethos

Dec 9, 2010
Generic Gamer said:
Lethos said:
So what do you think of this? Bad court decision? Expected behaviour from Apple?
Neither.

I'll be honest, Apple has a case because that Galaxy tab looks very similar to the iPad in terms of size, shape and colouring to an extent where it seems Samsung may have deliberately aped the design.

That design looks very very similar, as in similar beyond the normal similarity devices that serve the same function intrinsically have.
See, I can sort of understand that. But when you go for the modern, monolithic design that Apple has gone with (which I do actually like) it's very hard for another tablet to not look similar. You shouldn't be able to own an aesthetic choice otherwise different forms of design would be limited to single brands.

Think of all the TV's in the world that look the same because they are going for the same aesthetic design.

Oisin XD

Oct 15, 2009
Apple is basically a religion for some people, and currently has more money than USA.

http://www.businessinsider.com/apple-has-more-cash-on-hand-than-the-us-government-2011-7

I think that needs to be taken into consideration before helping their monopoly along.

Not that I object making money, but monopoly is bad for consumers.

Thamous

Sep 23, 2008
Hey Apple, I got an idea, why don't you build a good product that people actually want to buy and sell it at a reasonable price? Any company that pulls crap like this only does it for one reason, they are scared of competition and companies only get scared of competition when they know their product sucks.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I always forget people actually waste there money on those.

Thamous said:
Hey Apple, I got an idea, why don't you build a good product that people actually want to buy and sell it at a reasonable price? Any company that pulls crap like this only does it for one reason, they are scared of competition and companies only get scared of competition when they know their product sucks.
and this^

Emurlahn

Jan 13, 2010
WouldYouKindly said:
Expected behavior by apple. Pepsi has been copying Coke for going on a century now, Coke has stopped giving a shit and both companies are doing fine. I think apple is just afraid of the competition
Except that Pepsi is the original cola, so it's Coke who have been copying them...
Yes that was wrong, we've resolved that.

OT: Well, I'm not surprised, but I had never expected that to happen. I would say that it is a little far fetched.

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011

I guess I can see what the similarities are but for people purchasing the product, the product cases have the labels in large enough print to avoid confusion in my opinion.

note: I don't look into tablet tech very much, I assume these were the ones in the topic, I wanted a front and back pic for reference.

Generic Gamer said:
That's what I meant by 'similarities beyond what you expect', every tablet is a case surrounding a netbook sized screen with as shallow a form factor as possible. Within reason they all look the same but there are certain design cues on that Galaxy that mirror the Apple device closely, things like the chrome surround showing around the front of the device. The colouration and visual cues are just too similar for me to dismiss it as a coincidence, especially since the iPad design is older than this brand new machine.

Please note I feel Apple 'has a case', not that the Galaxy is deliberately aping their design. I do however feel that Apple has a fair and reasonable case for suspecting that this is so.
^this what you were talking about? I looked at the link but the lighting is rather terrible, you can't see either logo/brand name... Unless my comp's contrast is too high, not sure.

instantbenz

Pixel Pusher
Mar 25, 2009
aba1 said:

Thamous said:
and this^
Exactly. This reminds me heavily of the oil industry in America. "Oh shit they're creating something (vapor cars, alt fuel cars) that will make us obsolete!" "Well, buy them off or kill them."

I nearly stopped talking to a good friend of mine who decided to get a new macbook. Apple isn't worth it.

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
I understand that everyone loves hating on Apple, but I can't help but get a little suspicious of Samsung being the white knight here when its been losing copyright and patent cases in multiple countries around the world.
I mean, Apple is big, but Samsung has enough money to hold its own in court.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
instantbenz said:
aba1 said:

Thamous said:
and this^
Exactly. This reminds me heavily of the oil industry in America. "Oh shit they're creating something (vapor cars, alt fuel cars) that will make us obsolete!" "Well, buy them off or kill them."

I nearly stopped talking to a good friend of mine who decided to get a new macbook. Apple isn't worth it.
I actually own 2 macbooks lmao but I actually need them for my work but work aside I do find the mac OS better. But outside the mac computers maybe there Ipod touch I wouldnt really touch any of there stuff its all over priced not to mention I would rather support the small struggling company with neat ideas than the giant conglomerant sending all the work to china.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Emurlahn said:
WouldYouKindly said:
Except that Pepsi is the original cola, so it's Coke who have been copying them...

OT: Well, I'm not surprised, but I had never expected that to happen. I would say that it is a little far fetched.
Checking Wikipedia(this argument isn't nearly serious enough for anything else). Coke was first made in 1886 and Pepsi made in 1898.

More on apple, they run on brand recognition more than anything else when it comes to tablets. It's not like they invented tablet PCs. They'd been around for a while before the iPad.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
I have been using Macs since 2000 exclusively and was never let down by system or hardware failure or that they could not cope with time critical heavy workload.
(frequently phased out software and compatibility with it´s own brand is ANOTHER story)

I even accept Apples `benevolent dictatorship` because it gets my daily timecritical work done painlessly.

And I am using the iPad 2 as creativitly tool, I LOVE the iPad and laugh at my friends showing my their primitive stompscreen Galaxy phones or whatever.

but at occasions like this I say wholeheartedly:

FUCK YOU APPLE!

Emurlahn

Jan 13, 2010
WouldYouKindly said:
Emurlahn said:
WouldYouKindly said:

Checking Wikipedia(this argument isn't nearly serious enough for anything else). Coke was first made in 1886 and Pepsi made in 1898.

More on apple, they run on brand recognition more than anything else when it comes to tablets. It's not like they invented tablet PCs. They'd been around for a while before the iPad.
It seams my knowledge was flawed, I excuse the mistake.

OT: don't really have more to ad to the conversation. This is bullocks pulled by Apple, nothing less nothing more.