Apple Can't Use The iPhone Name in Mexico

smudgey

May 8, 2008
Grey Carter said:
"All that remains is processing claims for invasion of brand. Additionally, they face a sanction of up to 20,000 days at minimum wage rate"
Lucky for Apple the Mexican minimum wage is so low, won't really be much of a penalty for them. Based on a quick wikipedia search and some lousy math skills, i'm guesstimating around $5.5 mill. Spare change for them, really.
And i firmly believe that all lawsuits should be sorted out not in the courtroom, but by way of go-kart racing and paintball matches. Would be so much more interesting to watch.

VinLAURiA

Dec 25, 2008
Ronack said:
Honestly, this is just beautiful. First come, first served. Apple should have done their research.
Oh, I don't believe the iFone guys are the ones who got served in this equation.

Headdrivehardscrew

Aug 22, 2011
I'm someone that preferred Apple and MacOS to beige-boxing back in the days.

As such someone, I find it... quite sad that this ruling makes me happy.

I think Apple and their strategies stink, and they stink up every market they sooner or later turn into a battleground. There are the cultist Apple fanatics you can't argue with, I get that. There are the plenty of young Apple newly converted newfags that just have to own Apple stuff, even though they have no clue about, well, anything. Very few people manage or seem at least willing to remain objective or neutral in this thing, which, frankly, pisses me off to great extent.

On one hand, pretty much everything Apple does at the moment annoys me. The poor decisions, the questionable design choices, etc. etc. etc. (I spare you that yadda yadda as it would just feel like me being on infinite repeat)...

That's currently not my main gripe with them. Apart from the obvious patent trolling, which might, in part, be due to how the (US) patenting shindig works, I keep getting the feeling that they're disrupting the market and making life for competitors harsh not by pumping out awesome hardware that is competitively priced, but by unleashing hordes of bloodthirsty lawyers. That stinks.

I hope Apple will find a way, a mindset to be able to coexist in free markets, and not behaving like some dictator-run modern day Yugo, Lada or Volkswagen eager to conquer every market known to man.

The underlying issue of patent laws is in need of some bloody and very raw fixing, as well. See, if Apple risks losing their proper patents due to how the (US) patent law works, proper useless patent trolls that are not Apple would still be empowered to do their trolling and leeching business. That's got to stop.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
Zombie_Moogle said:
Does this count as patent trolling? It feels like Apple is patent trolling a bit here. I think Mexican people can tell the difference between "Ph" and "F"
you know, its a funny thing about people telling difference. there is "ipod" which sounds simlar to "ipuod" and "puod(as)" means a pot in my language and for a while there ive seen people thinking they are talking about pots.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
Karma is a real *****, Apple. I can't deny that whenever I see something go south for Apple, my ice heart warms a little.

Frankster

Space Ace
Mar 13, 2009
Yey for justice being served and a smaller company in the right succesfully defending itself against a larger bully :)

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
I'm Mexican. This pleases me.

At any rate, I can see how the pronunciation in Spanish would be reaaaaally similar, unless we're talking about pronouncing iPhone with the US pronunciation and iFone with a Mexican pronunciation (iFoh-neh). But I doubt that's the case.

So yeah, I guess Apple got a little too cocky thinking another country couldn't possibly come up with a "clever" name like that first.

Rad Party God

Party like it's 2010!
Feb 23, 2010
Uh huh... I live in Mexico and in all of my life, I've never heard of the "iFone" brand (I didn't even know it was a legitimate brand :S) and belive me, not many of us are so stupid to not recognize an "F" from a "Ph".

Having said that, good for the iFone people, anything that makes Apple's day shittier always pleases me.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
Excellent. You don't get to attack the trademark-holder of a term because you trademarked a similar term years later. That's completely backwards and I'm amazed the people at Apple's legal team were stupid enough to even try that.

mysecondlife

Feb 24, 2011
I am currently drooling while watching youtube video of Samsung Galaxy Note 2.

To see Apple ***** while not making products superior to that of Samsung pisses me off.

So, yes. This news pleases me.

EDIT: So.. Mexican judicial system has more common sense than juries of U.S.

Don't mean to look down on Mexicans but this kinda makes me think..

kuolonen

Nov 19, 2009
Truly, 'ts a beautiful to weep manly tears of justice while staring into the deep blue sky.

I only wish Steve Jobs had lived to see this...

Lt._nefarious

Apr 11, 2012
Ah yes, Apple continuing to be shitty and worse than Android, excellent, my plan in coming to fruition...

Ha ha, Oh gosh, I hate apple....

Folji

Jul 21, 2010
Zombie_Moogle said:
Does this count as patent trolling? It feels like Apple is patent trolling a bit here. I think Mexican people can tell the difference between "Ph" and "F"
Apple probably just wants to hold a universal right to putting a lowercase i in front of another word.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
This just made my day. Perhaps now they will actually do some research before suing anything that has a resemblance to a word 'phone'.

mew4ever23

Mar 21, 2008
This is what happens when we fail to do our research on before suing, Apple.

Beautiful, man. Just beautiful.